Who was the Exile's master?

Well, in my first playthrough I took Vaklu's Side...

During my battle with Kavar he said:

''Do you know that once I thought of making you my padawan?''

or something similar....

So,.... :thumbsup:"

That just means he wasn't his sole master (ie. Qui Gon to Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan to Anakin). Kavar could still have been his "master" the way Obi-Wan says that Yoda was his master.

From the sounds of it, the Exile went off to fight in the Mandalorian wars because he attained full Jedi Knight status, which indicates that maybe he didn't have a specific master yet, but had many masters who taught large groups. And Kavar (along with Atris) seemed to be hinted as two of those teachers.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Well, in my first playthrough I took Vaklu's Side...

During my battle with Kavar he said:

''Do you know that once I thought of making you my padawan?''

or something similar....

So,.... :thumbsup:"

That just means he wasn't his sole master (ie. Qui Gon to Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan to Anakin). Kavar could still have been his "master" the way Obi-Wan says that Yoda was his master.

From the sounds of it, the Exile went off to fight in the Mandalorian wars because he attained full Jedi Knight status, which indicates that maybe he didn't have a specific master yet, but had many masters who taught large groups. And Kavar (along with Atris) seemed to be hinted as two of those teachers.

I don't know!

You shall be right... I also think, that Atris and Kavar weren't the only teachers the exile had....

Atris?! Atris and the Exile are like the same age I think. I don't think Atris ever trained the Exile. Did I miss something here?

The fact she seems to take it so personal that the Exile went against her wishes and go off to war suggests it was a master/student thing, since it was commented by one of the characters (Handmaiden?) that it wasn't a romance thing.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I would guess that Kavar had a central role at the Jedi training facilities. He was probably responsible for teaching younger apprentices in general, somewhat like how Yoda taught the younglings (as seen in EP II).

Since Kavar mentioned that he knew there was something special about the Exile when they sparred, it can be reasonably assumed that he was responsible for teaching the apprentices the basics of combat, given that Mandalore referred to him (Kavar) as "The Famed Jedi Guardian."

Since he was part of the Council, though, he didn't have the time to devote to taking on a padawan learner. Unfortunate, since who knows how things would have turned out?

I think the Exile was probably the padawan of a master that we never heard of.

Also, I may be wrong about this, but I think after your basic training *i.e. Younglings with Yoda* you begin to get more advanced training from one master in a specific area. For example lightsaber training from one master, force training from another, diplomacy training from another, etc.

I don't know. :thumbsup:

Can we just establish right now that anything written in the Chronicles may as well be discarded?

They're very badly written (well no, the style's fine, they're just inaccurate) summaries of events.

"A human suffering from amnesia" is how they refer to mindwiped Revan - which isn't true at all, because had he been an amnesiac it would mean he had no memories, which wasn't the case...

I mean, the confrontation with Malak wasn't:

Malak: The Jedi Council didn't restore your wounded mind Revan they... urm, well they left it and dumped you on the Endar Spire and just hoped you'd think you were a Republic soldier.

Nor was there the response:

Revan: Actually it makes sense I'm Revan, since I remember nothing about my past and I'm having those visions and everything...

Similarly, the "Jedi Master Revan" thing has been picked up on in this thread - when every single source in both KotOR 1 and 2 backs up Revan as being a knight at the time. Possibly as powerful as a master, sure, but not one.

Finally, the background for Kreia doesn't make sense in the time-frame - ESPECIALLY if you take the light side ending.

Kreia: Boo hoo, why did Revan fall, whyyyy!!!?? I feel so guilty!

Revan: Urm, I'm light again now

Kreia: WHYYYY???

Revan: Ok you just go evil for no reason then, crazy bint.

More likely:

Kreia is consumed with guilt after Revan returns to the galaxy as Dark Lord and at the head of an invasion fleet. She investigates and gets corrupted by Revan, who appoints her the guardian of Malachor V (and who'll carry on his legacy if something happens to him - it's obvious Malak didn't know the whole truth).

Yeah, that sounds much more like what must have actually happened.

Bah, I hate those chronicles so much. They're just wrong, wrong, wrooongggg!!!

Rant over.

- to stay on topic, I don't think the Exile's "full on proper Qui-Gon style" master ever makes an appearance in the game, in the flesh or referenced - we can probably just assume what we like in that regard.

From what I gather, Kavar trained the Exile for a *time* - but not as his own padawan... Atris seemed to have an interest in the Exile's development for whatever reason, but I don't think she was the Exile's master.

As for the Exile's strength in the Force...

I think it's indisputable that it wasn't great. Everyone's focusing on Vrook, "oh, Vrook's a d**k, he doesn't know waht he's talking about,he's nasty about everyone"

Yet it's Vandar who makes the point that the Exile is an "average student of the Force" - but that even so, she had something that set her apart (being the whole Force bondage thing)

The Exile only started to become a "uber-Jedi" after she met Kreia - and that was due to the loss of the Force brought about by Malachor V, which meant that the Exile was able to draw her power from her companions. I thought that the Exile's condition was one of the things the game focused on the most....

I mean - it doesn't make the Exile weak, if anything it makes the Exile potentially the strongest Force wielder ever (irritatingly). Not to bring midi-chlorians into this (well, ok, I will) - but remember Qui-Gon:

"Our midi-chlorians constantly speak to us, telling us the will of the Force... when you learn to quiet your mind, you'll be able to hear them speaking to you too"

Kreia: "It is possible that perhaps our bond allows you to hear the Force, distantly, through me "

So from this it can be gathered that via the Force bonds, the Exile is able to listen to OTHER PEOPLE's midi-chlorians.... combined.

So she'd be listening in on all of Kreia's, Atton's, Handmaidens, Visa's, Bao-Durs, Disciple's... is it any WONDER that she's really strong when she wasn't before?

Sure, she *always* made those Force bonds, but before when she "quieted her mind" the only thing she could hear was her own (not too numerous) set of midi-chlorians badgering her with the will of the Force. After losing her connection to the Force (which *must* result in her not being able to hear her own midi-chlorians anymore), when she quiets her mind, she's able to hear everyone else's midichlorians. Not as directly or as strongly as they can, obviously, but in combination with *other* people she's bonded to, it more than makes up for it.

Think of it like this:

You've got headphones in and you're listening to tacky pop. Suddenly, the battery runs out *bye bye Malachor* and you can't hear it anymore. Instead you can hear the rock music next door, the birds outside, your little sister being irritating in the room next to yours and the toliet flushing. The sounds were always there, but you couldn't hear them before - so you've gone from one sound (in the Exile's case an average Force strength) to many sounds (the Exile's rapid development into a super Jedi).

Whilst I'm not the biggest fan of midi-chlorians, I don't deny their canon status just because "they're stupid"...

Having said that, I think the Exile was always a very formidable warrior - even if not a particularly gifted Force adept.

Oh and before I depart - to whoever mentioned it: why would the Exile be around 40?

Mandalorian wars start in c 3963 BBY (End c 3960) - KotOR 2 is set in c 3951 BBY. Assuming the Exile was... ohhh, I dunno, twenty, when he/she went off to fight, that would only make him/her in their early 30s. Revan was a *very* young leader remember (he's still referred to as "young" and "kid" seven years later in KotOR 1) and the Exile seems to be presented as even younger than that.

Ok, I rambled too much and too long. Sorry for subjecting everyone to my madness. TTFN.

Can we just establish right now that anything written in the Chronicles may as well be discarded?

They're very badly written (well no, the style's fine, they're just inaccurate) summaries of events.

"A  human suffering from amnesia" is how they refer to mindwiped Revan - which isn't true at all, because had he been an amnesiac it would mean he had no memories, which wasn't the case...

I mean, the confrontation with Malak wasn't:

Malak: The Jedi Council didn't restore your wounded mind Revan they... urm, well they left it and dumped you on the Endar Spire and just hoped you'd think you were a Republic soldier.

Nor was there the response:

Revan: Actually it makes sense I'm Revan, since I remember nothing about my past and I'm having those visions and everything...

Similarly, the "Jedi Master Revan" thing has been picked up on in this thread - when every single source in both KotOR 1 and 2 backs up Revan as being a knight at the time. Possibly as powerful as a master, sure, but not one.

Finally, the background for Kreia doesn't make sense in the time-frame - ESPECIALLY if you take the light side ending.

Kreia: Boo hoo, why did Revan fall, whyyyy!!!?? I feel so guilty!

Revan: Urm, I'm light again now

Kreia: WHYYYY???

Revan: Ok you just go evil for no reason then, crazy bint.

More likely:

Kreia is consumed with guilt after Revan returns to the galaxy as Dark Lord and at the head of an invasion fleet. She investigates and gets corrupted by Revan, who appoints her the guardian of Malachor V (and who'll carry on his legacy if something happens to him - it's obvious Malak didn't know the whole truth).

Yeah, that sounds much more like what must have actually happened.

Bah, I hate those chronicles so much. They're just wrong, wrong, wrooongggg!!! 

Rant over.

- to stay on topic, I don't think the Exile's "full on proper Qui-Gon style" master ever makes an appearance in the game, in the flesh or referenced - we can probably just assume what we like in that regard.

From what I gather, Kavar trained the Exile for a *time* - but not as his own padawan... Atris seemed to have an interest in the Exile's development for whatever reason, but I don't think she was the Exile's master.

As for the Exile's strength in the Force...

I think it's indisputable that it wasn't great.  Everyone's focusing on Vrook, "oh, Vrook's a d**k, he doesn't know waht he's talking about,he's nasty about everyone"

Yet it's Vandar who makes the point that the Exile is an "average student of the Force" - but that even so, she had something that set her apart (being the whole Force bondage thing)

The Exile only started to become a "uber-Jedi" after she met Kreia - and that was due to the loss of the Force brought about by Malachor V, which meant that the Exile was able to draw her power from her companions. I thought that the Exile's condition was one of the things the game focused on the most....

I mean - it doesn't make the Exile weak, if anything it makes the Exile potentially the strongest Force wielder ever (irritatingly).  Not to bring midi-chlorians into this (well, ok, I will) - but remember Qui-Gon:

"Our midi-chlorians constantly speak to us, telling us the will of the Force... when you learn to quiet your mind, you'll be able to hear them  speaking to you too"

Kreia: "It is possible that perhaps our bond allows you to hear the Force, distantly, through me "

So from this it can be gathered that via the Force bonds, the Exile is able to listen to OTHER PEOPLE's midi-chlorians.... combined.

So she'd be listening in on all of Kreia's, Atton's, Handmaidens, Visa's, Bao-Durs, Disciple's... is it any WONDER that she's really strong when she wasn't before?

Sure, she *always* made those Force bonds, but before when she "quieted her mind" the only thing she could hear was her own (not too numerous) set of midi-chlorians badgering her with the will of the Force. After losing her connection  to the Force (which *must* result in her not being able to hear her own midi-chlorians anymore), when she quiets her mind, she's able to hear everyone else's midichlorians. Not as directly or as strongly as they can, obviously, but in combination with *other* people she's bonded to, it more than makes up for it.

Think of it like this:

You've got headphones in and you're listening to tacky pop. Suddenly, the battery runs out *bye bye Malachor* and you can't hear it anymore. Instead you can hear the rock music next door, the birds outside, your little sister being irritating in the room next to yours and the toliet flushing.  The sounds were always there, but you couldn't hear them before - so you've gone from one sound (in the Exile's case an average Force strength) to many sounds (the Exile's rapid development into a super Jedi).

Whilst I'm not the biggest fan of midi-chlorians, I don't deny their canon status just because "they're stupid"...

Having said that, I think the Exile was always a very formidable warrior - even if not a particularly gifted Force adept.

Oh and before I depart - to whoever mentioned it: why would the Exile be around 40?

Mandalorian wars start in c 3963 BBY (End c 3960) - KotOR 2 is set in c 3951 BBY.  Assuming the Exile was... ohhh, I dunno, twenty, when he/she went off to fight, that would only make him/her in their early 30s.  Revan was a *very* young leader remember (he's still referred to as "young" and "kid" seven years later in KotOR 1) and the Exile seems to be presented as even younger than that.

Ok, I rambled too much and too long. Sorry for subjecting everyone to my madness. TTFN.

You made some great points there. :D

Atris?! Atris and the Exile are like the same age I think. I don't think Atris ever trained the Exile. Did I miss something here?

Atris is way older than the exile. Look at her hair. It's white. I'd say 10 yrs. apart or so.

I really don't get the impression that Atris' hair is white due to age. If it were, shouldn't it have been less white during the Exile's trial a decade before?

In truth, I think the fact that Atris was already on the council while the Exile was still only a padawan is a much better argument for her being older. However, given Vandar's comment that the Exile is an "average student of the force", it may not be a relevant point...

Atris is way older than the exile. Look at her hair. It's white. I'd say 10 yrs. apart or so.

I really don't get the impression that Atris' hair is white due to age. If it were, shouldn't it have been less white during the Exile's trial a decade before?

In truth, I think the fact that Atris was already on the council while the Exile was still only a padawan is a much better argument for her being older. However, given Vandar's comment that the Exile is an "average student of the force", it may not be a relevant point...

I think Atris was a bit elitist when it came to hair colour... she seems to have taken Padme's "get handmaidens who have a similar look to you" thing a bit too far.

I mean, just IMAGINE the ad in the paper:

"Jedi Master in desperate need of six individuals to protect her in her quest to revive the Jedi Order. Must be at home in cold environments. Proficiency in martial combat is expected and required. The physically impared will not be considered. Must be white skinned, snowy haired and five must be of pure Echani descent - no brothers... just sisters."

"And must take any 'Punishment' their boss can take out"

Sry too much of an opening.

I've said it before but I think vash could have been one of exiles teachers I haven't heard any of the cut content so I don't know, but the gist I get is that Vash is very familiar with Exile (not in the :( way). She was also the only one to really stick up for Exile at his trial. Kavar may have been the preliminary teacher but Vash would be the more One-on-One teacher for the Exile. but this is all supposition based upon what I've seen here.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The fact she seems to take it so personal that the Exile went against her wishes and go off to war suggests it was a master/student thing, since it was commented by one of the characters (Handmaiden?) that it wasn't a romance thing.

she couldn't have though, one of the things you can say to one of the handmaidens is that atris never had a padawan.

she couldn't have though, one of the things you can say to one of the handmaidens is that atris never had a padawan.

Yeah, which is why I said one of the Exile's masters. Such as how Yoda instructs all the Younglings in early lightsaber training, maybe Atris instructed the Exile in whatever she's good at.

I don't think the Exile had one master who he was padawan to. I think he left the Order before he had that chance and instead had a bunch of masters who taught various things.

master vandar was the trainer of the exile ==> unequip lightsaber go to dantooine make sure you have enough repair/computer/persuasion -skills and talk to the broken protocol droid  and follow the line; "how do you know i'm a jedi " ;)

That didn't indicate that. Vrook wanted Vandar to punish him because Vandar was seen as the "Yoda" type character of the Jedi Council, and thus probably the most senior member.

master vandar was the trainer of the exile ==> unequip lightsaber go to dantooine make sure you have enough repair/computer/persuasion -skills and talk to the broken protocol droid  and follow the line; "how do you know i'm a jedi " :-

No, no... If only it were so, but the conversation you refer to does not support that idea. Since you obviously didn't look at page 4 of this topic where I quoted the conversation, let me just repeat it:

here's the recorded conversation from the dialog.tlk file (though I've identified who says what, but that's pretty obvious...):

Droid: "My apologies, Jedi.You are on the register as one of the Jedi who left the Enclave to fight in the Mandolorian Wars.  My memory has no record of your return before now.You had no direct interaction with this droid. However, I have one instance  of a conversation between Masters Vrook and Vandar regarding you.Beginning playback... Error, recording partially corrupted. Resolving..."

Vrook: "{static, 1 sec}...{annoyed}today I caught him in a heated argument with my Padawan! His Master refuses to properly discipline{static, 1 sec}. I want to know what action you intend!

Vandar: "Vrook, I respect your wisdom, but it is not your concern."

Vrook: "{upset} But... {static, 1 sec} uncontrolled! {static 1 sec}...whatever the other Padawans see him do, they are quick to do the same... {static}other students dislike him intensely!{patient}

Vandar: "True, an average student of the Force... {static}but with a unique strength...{static} is a natural leader...{static}"

Vrook: "{upset}I strongly disagree...{static, 2 sec} mediocre Jedi...{static 1 sec} lust for power! {static, 1 sec}...will lead to the dark side! Furthermore it... {static, 2 sec}"

Droid: "Recording degraded. End playback..."

Now, note that Vrook says "his master refuses to properly discipline..." right to Vander's face. That more than suggests that whoever the Exile's master was, it was not Vandar - it would be pretty weird to talk to someone in the third person in a conversation with only too participants, even for Vrook... ;)