Brit Sailors save Russians

Cantousent

With all the angst and animosity in the world, it's good to see folks help each other. Seven men owe their lives to the British sailors who rescued them. The rescue was carried out by means of remote guided craft.

Notice the contrast between the this experience and the Kursk experience where over a hundred sailors died because the Russians did not want to solicit aid.

It's good to see the United Kingdom make the news for reasons other then the war on terror. As a matter of fact, I'm sure some of the men in that submarine were rather terrified.

News link:

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.ad...S00010000000001

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Notice the contrast between the this experience and the Kursk experience where over a hundred sailors died because the Russians did not want to solicit aid.

I have my doubts that asking for help would have made any difference regarding the Kursk. The ship was a total wreck in that case and it sunk to a greater depth. There's no way it could have surfaced by its own means.

But yeah, the contrast is nice. :thumbsup:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Yeah, that's the sad fact. The ocean is a dangerous place. We'll never know about the Kursk, but you're probably right.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I had a Russian friend and he though Putin was right, he just said "So what, they're as good as dead anyway"

Then a couple of months later, a swedish technical newspaper(Ny Teknik) dug out through a leak in the Russian fleet command(and acoustic scans) that the Kursk had been sunk when they launched a new type of high-velocity experimental torpedo that exploded as it left the launcher.

It is fully possible that the Russians were afraid that this new technology would fall into the hands of the US.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I also heard about that experimental torpedo on the Kursk. They where about to test-launch it as a demonstration for the Chinese Supreme Admiral (interesting...), but it exploded, probably due to faulty design of that particular test torpedo (and NOT this kind of torpedoes alltogether). That should explain the abundance of NATO spy subs in the area prior to the Kursk being sunk.

Of course, there's also the conspiracy scenario that the Kursk was rammed by one of these NATO subs, and this resulted to its sinking... :/

The British sailor in charge said that the Russians are more willing to ask for help than five years ago. Apparently it was just good luck that there was a British robot thing prepped and ready to go on a different mission, so it was easy to divert it.

The deeps are scary - I was listening to The Kraken Wakes not long ago, and I fear bathies. :ph34r:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Then a couple of months later, a swedish technical newspaper(Ny Teknik) dug out through a leak in the Russian fleet command(and acoustic scans) that the Kursk had been sunk when they launched a new type of high-velocity experimental torpedo that exploded as it left the launcher.

It is fully possible that the Russians were afraid that this new technology would fall into the hands of the US.

Yeah....I believe that would have to be the new liquid fuel-propelled torpedoes that Russia is reportedly getting ready to deploy....

I also heard about that experimental torpedo on the Kursk. They where about to test-launch it as a demonstration for the Chinese Supreme Admiral (interesting...), but it exploded, probably due to faulty design of that particular test torpedo (and NOT this kind of torpedoes alltogether). That should explain the abundance of NATO spy subs in the area prior to the Kursk being sunk.

Of course, there's also the conspiracy scenario that the Kursk was rammed by one of these NATO subs, and this resulted to its sinking... :/

That'd be straight out of the Hunt for Red October plot, then, except we have a new torpedo instead of a defecting Commander, with a lisp ... :)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Here's a little bit more info:

London Sunday Times

August 28 2000

FROM GILES WHITTELL IN MOSCOW

http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/t...gnrus01001.html

A BOTCHED test launch of a new type of torpedo has emerged as the most likely cause of the Kursk submarine disaster, even as Russian officials claim that an "external collision" was involved.

Two civilians on the Kursk when she sank were testing torpedos that may have exploded on launch, detonating the blast that tore open her bow and sent her to the seabed.

There was speculation that the torpedos were either a new weapon designed to leave the water, fly in the air and re-enter water to attack other submarines, or a new version of a silent rocket-powered weapon.

Reports at the weekend said that the men, from the Dagdizel naval weapons centre in Dagestan, were aboard "to supervise and check if the torpedo was working as it should". A Dagdizel official denied that the men had been working on a new torpedo design, but days after the blast the Red Star military newspaper reported that the Kursk had been carrying liquid-fuel propelled weapons.

Officers, including Gennadi Lyachin, the Kursk's captain, had complained that the liquid fuel system could explode inside a torpedo tube, making it more dangerous than the compressed-air one it replaced.

Aleksandr Nikitin, a former submarine captain, said he was "almost positive" an accidental torpedo explosion had caused the disaster. He said claims now being investigated by Russian secret police, that an "unidentified object" had hit the Kursk and caused the explosions, were "ridiculous".

I think it's good that AOL News remembered to note the crew member's hair... could've been considered bad journalism otherwise :wub:

DL

P.S. Just because something happened in the past doesn't make it irrelevant :x

[color=gray][i]OO-TINI![/i][/color]

Okay, fight about the sub, at least, and not each other.

Good grief. We only have so long before this whole episode with the sub turns into a made for TV movie. Then there won't be any way to know what really happened.

Obsidian Plays

If you've ever seen long-service armed forces people together you will see that (by and large) they are very happy to help one another. Nonetheless I agree it is nice to see it happening. You will find that most Forces types are determined to do their jobs up to and including death, but will do everything in their power to avoid ructions, given polite behaviour. Unlike civilians.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

the russian navy is cash-strapped in a big way... is the reason they got no viable rescue vehicles to speak of. now personally, given their relative poverty, we thinks that it is highly unlikely that the russian navy is working on super torpedo programs at the moment, and the notion that the krusk were testing such things not seem initially likely to Gromnir. however if they was, it is a sad commentary

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)