arcanum question

I am currently playing through Arcanum. very much enjoying it, as a dwarven technologist. Gunslinger, gunmaker, I thought it would be handy to buy some technological blueprints for making my own bullets. Straightforward, until I discover I need ranks in exlosives, not gunmaking to build them. I can cope with this, but I want to know how many fething ranks are required. If it is more than one I am just going to write off the purchase of the blueprints as a bad investment and conentrate my exp elsehwhere.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Ermmm, I think it might be two ranks, certainly not more than three. I'd say it wasn't worth it. Bullets can be pricy at the start of the game, but later on you get richer and it stops being a problem.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I'm not sure of the necessary tech ranks as it's been a while since I've played it, but if my mind isn't totally fubar, I'd say you need a Novice rank in the Explosives tech tree.

Though I'd have to second Steve's statement regarding bullet manufacturing. For the most part you can find bullets around and they will become a mere pitance later into the game. Still it's a nice schematic to learn from a roleplaying perspective so grab it and use it - just remember that you will find a hard time finding the components and sometimes it will be cheaper to buy bullets than to buy the components to make them.

EDIT: I think it's actually easier to make Fuel than Bullets (so all those with a knack for playing heat-based weaponry-wielding characters will have an easier time with that choice of ammo).

Helloooooooooooooooooo

Books!

You can buy books at the college in that one city Virgil wants you to go to, and each one gives points in a tech skill based on your Intelligence I think.

Thus freeing you from "having" to buy ranks in unwanted disciplines "just" to make multi skill items.

Aaaah.... I bought those damn books. Well, I say bought them I discovered afterwards that the nice man gave me two for free. Having not figured out how to use objects like schematics at the time I never even thought to use them. I sold them instead.

*sob*

I'll have to go trekking all over to find them.

Anyway, I've had a lot of fun, from the roleplay perspective, with taking low level explosives and medicine making techs. So now Iam constantly on the look out for bits of old rag, and herbs, so I can make healing salves and molotovs, which are just about incredibly useful.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I was looking to pick this up.  But the place that I saw had it no longer does.  :blink:

Ebay it.

I don't trust Ebay. Not after I got screwed over with extra customs charges.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Ebay = bad.

I refuse to finance imbeciles who think they can bunk off working for the rest of their lives by flogging crap that no-one wants at prices that no-one pays to people who no-one knows ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I didn't used to have a problem with Ebay, until the last time I used it. I'm not sure whether it was the seller who screwed me over, or if Canada customs just decided to be **** about it this time.

I'd ordered old games (PS:T, FO1 and 2, etc.) off Ebay and whatever price me and the seller agreed upon was the price I paid (including ALL shipping costs). Then I order a new game (I believe it was VtMB) and pay what I *thought* was a cost that included all shipping, but then get dinged with a $17 custom charge. SEVENTEEN!

Since then I've avoided Ebay.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I didn't used to have a problem with Ebay, until the last time I used it.  I'm not sure whether it was the seller who screwed me over, or if Canada customs just decided to be **** about it this time.

I'd ordered old games (PS:T, FO1 and 2, etc.) off Ebay and whatever price me and the seller agreed upon was the price I paid (including ALL shipping costs).  Then I order a new game (I believe it was VtMB) and pay what I *thought* was a cost that included all shipping, but then get dinged with a $17 custom charge.  SEVENTEEN!

Since then I've avoided Ebay.

Depends on the country: Australia has zero tax on software (or it did last time I was there), and hardware depends on the category (tvs being luxury 40%, iirc).

Yeah but I don't order my underwear online.

You buy that stuff? I thought you just were on good terms with the dude in the charity shop ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Depends on the country: Australia has zero tax on software (or it did last time I was there), and hardware depends on the category (tvs being luxury 40%, iirc).

Yeah, but all of my purchases was from the US to Canada. And only my last one incurred customs taxes? Either I got off free for the first 3, or I got ripped off for my last one.

The problem with Ebay is paypal. Their data handling isn't safe, IMO.

-Elwood Blues

Yeah, but all of my purchases was from the US to Canada.  And only my last one incurred customs taxes?  Either I got off free for the first 3, or I got ripped off for my last one.

Um, aren't you doing an accounting degree? Shouldn't you know who was ripped off ..? :unsure:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I would expect that Ebay have come across the prblem before. Since they have receivers all over the world. Thus I would expect that the contract stipulates YOU are to blame. And you also owe them your first born child.

Anyway, is anyone else playing Arcanum?

-Elwood Blues

Um, aren't you doing an accounting degree? Shouldn't you know who was ripped off ..?  ;)

Doing? I've got a diploma on my wall that says I should know the answer to this. :p

Debits on the left ... no, credits on the right ... no debits on the right ... damn, I always get that mixed up! :thumbsup:" (I blame the international banking system; just because they all write their financial information from their perspectives, instead of the customers, all our debits and credits are backwards and upsidedown ...)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Debits on the left ... no, credits on the right ... no debits on the right ... damn, I always get that mixed up! :thumbsup:" (I blame the international banking system; just because they all write their financial information from their perspectives, instead of the customers, all our debits and credits are backwards and upsidedown ...)

To be accurate, I'm trained in finance. So in other words I'm in charge of spending money, not accounting for it. :D