Post your best mods

mkreku

Just wanted to get a thread going for great mods for a variety of games. If you know of mods (or places to find mods) that are good (or even great) and you think GREATLY ENHANCE THE GAME then feel free to post them here, with a short explanation. I will start with something I found today:

GTA: San Andreas Draw Distance mod:

A very smart and useful mod that will allow you to change the draw distance until it surpasses the one seen in Far Cry!

http://www.gta-downloads.com/pafiledb.php?...ownload&id=2695 or

http://www.gta-downloads.com/pafiledb.php?...ownload&id=2277 (10x draw distance preinstalled)

GTA: San Andreas Speedometer mod:

A well-made mod that actually adds a working speedometer into the game!

http://www.gta-downloads.com/pafiledb.php?...on=file&id=2485

GTA: San Andreas No Splash mod:

A simple mod that removes the intro movies and those annoying Nvidia splash screens. Makes the game much quicker to start up.

http://www.gtagarage.com/mods/show.php?id=381

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Some mods really should try out if you are playing System Shock 2:

Rebirth

Completely new models for System Shock which look far less blocky and more detailed than the original ones. There exists also a complemented version which includes the new rumbler and monkeys. They were fully modelled and animated but for some reason the developer of Rebirth never included them in the final version, probably because he was hired by the company which made Arx Fatalis and ran out of time to update the package. The complemented version also features a new skin for the cyborg midwife because many fans didn't like the original one which came with Rebirth.

Rebirth - Complemented version

You can check some screenshots for comparison on the original rebirth site. The download link for the complemented version is at the end of the post.

Another mod which improves the visual quality of SS2 is a texture pack which replaces the old ones with high resolution textures. The overall effect is even more noticeable than Rebirth because it affects all maps.

Shock Texture Upgrade Project

The last mod I always use is Anosotropic's balance mod. The original System Shock had some munchkin devices that made certain skills obsolete. Not only it removes tham but also buffs those skills so they become actually useful throughout the game and makes it less frustrating to build your character as you won't realize late in the game that some investments were crap. Additionaly it balances some weapons and some other things. Imo it makes the game far more enjoyable and I would even recommend it to people who are playng SS2 the first time.

My download link doesn't work anymore and I can't find it right now. If anyone wants it I can send it to you via email, the file is very small or if someone has some free webspace he could upload it.

Anisotropic's balance mod readme:

SYSTEM SHOCK II:

Anisotropic:

Thread:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/ubb/ultimatebb....ic&f=9&t=003881

Goals: Balance!

ITEMS:

- Autorepair Unit concept eliminated.  Autorepair Unit object

has removed.

- French-Epstein Device concept eliminated.  FED object removed.

- Some alien organs require higher research skill

- Hitpoint bonuses for Endurance have been increased on easier

difficulties.

- Smasher overhand strikes multiply damage by 2 instead of 1.5

- PSI boosters boost the base PSI skill level by 2 points

WEAPONS:

- Wrench does not benefit from Standard skill (nor indeed from

any weapon skill, though it is still affected by Strength or

OS upgrades)

- Certain high-level enemies have been modified to resist the

specialized damage caused by the Assault Rifle and Pistol.

- rate of fire has been increased and Recoil has been lessened

for the Assault Rifle's automatic setting

- The Shotgun has been strengthened and its blast radius

reduced.

- Laser Pistol decays more slowly and causes more damage.

- Laser Rapier requires only an Energy skill of 3 and does

more damage against robotic targets

- EMP Rifle causes more damage to mechanical targets and has

a small electrical suppressive effect

- Grenade Launcher requires a strength of 4

- Grenade Launcher's rate of fire and projectile speed have

decreased

- Disruption and Proximity grenades have been improved

- Blast radius of grenades has increased

- Fusion Cannon requires a strength of 6

- Fusion Cannon uses 2 prisms for normal and 3 for deadly

shots.  Deadly ones cause twice the damage of normal ones.

- Fusion Cannon has been converted into the game's most

deadly weapon.

- Shard has been converted to an anti-organic (but not

anti-mechanical) weapon, so that it complements but does

not replace the Laser Rapier

- Viral Proliferator has been converted into an effective

*indirect* weapon against organic targets (around corners,

against groups)

- Viral Proliferator's has been given a large blast radius,

giving it the potential to backfire on the player in some

situations

- Annelid Launcher has been made quite powerful against all

organic targets, firing single clusters or double clusters

PSI DISCIPLINES:   

- Projected disciplines yield an effect instantly

- Cryo and Pyro produce splash damage

- Localized Pyro does more damage more quickly, but does not

last as long

- Molecular Duplication duplicates nearly *anything* (except

PSI hypos)

- Molecular Transmutation changes nearly *anything* (except

quest items)

- Soma Transference no longer damages the brain unless the

stars have been destroyed.

Nicked a great post by Antagonist :thumbsup:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Guest Fishboot

I consider this the "startup package" for new games of Morrowind:

Better Bodies (Use nude or non-nude versions according to your own prudery/perversion!)

Better Heads

The above two mods amount to a large increase in the production values of the character art in Morrowind.

Aerelorn's MW Enhanced

This is an .exe wrapper for MW that, with some additional mods on the same link, adds a lot of properties to MW, mainly in the action. The Combat Enhanced combos and Blocking Enhanced submods add some flavor to combat. The difficulty sliders also allow you to tune the difficulty as you see fit.

Morrowind Advanced

Some additional enemies (reskins and model resizes for the most part). Notable because the mods were made by Gary Noonan, a Beth dev. Mostly provides more variety for high level characters.

Galsiah's Character Development

Excellent mod that removes the "leveling up" from Morrowind, which allows you to ignore things like getting the correct number of skill improvements to give the best skill multiplier, etc. Also allows you to break the 100 point skill caps, which serves to allow characters that are really great at one thing rather than having 100 scores in many different skills. If you enjoy powergaming, though, you'll probably ejoy the bookkeeping of minding your multipliers as in the original game.

Assassin Fix

Corrects the timing of the Dark Brotherhood attacks caused by installing the Tribunal expansion to make a little more sense.

The official plugins

Most of these are good - Area effect arrows is pretty stupid, however.

Multiple Teleport Mark

Increases the power of the Mark/Recall system to allow for more marked locations. Pretty wonky but speeds travel immensely.

I would also list Wakim's Game Improvements but he reactivated some latent flee AI in the game that was probably removed because it was so incredibly annoying.

Natural Selection for Half-Life

If you've never heard of NS, its a mod for Half-Life that's kind of an RTS where each player controls one of the units. The setting is a war between marines and aliens on board abandoned space stations and planets. If you play as the marines one person is the commander with a typical RTS top-down view of the map who tells all the marines where to go and what to build. The aliens are different in that they have no commander and can morph into different kinds of creatures, one of which can build structures. It's great fun although the HL engine is getting a little old these days, there's still some cool effects, the graphics and sound are very polished and the maps are mostly good to great. There are a few pieces of music that Jeremy Soule made for the mod that set the scene nicely. If you've never played NS before I recommend you start with the marines as they are easier to get to grips with although the aliens are considered more fun by those who are good at using them.

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/ for the 140 MB download

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

http://www.thief2x.com/

The name speaks for itself.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Well, we were speaking about mods. That also includes total conversions.

Fan missions aren't mods per se.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

• 2 years later...

http://www.mbrepository.com/modules/PDdownloads/

The site for M&B mods.

And for the mod the rule them all... http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php?board=20.0

The Last Days, a LOTR mod for Mount & Blade. All factions are playable, from Mordor to the Elves to Isengard. There are wolfriders, trolls and Nazguls. I haven't played a game this much since BG2. Too bad it's probably gonna take the team at least 6 months to upgrade it to the latest M&B version.

Edited by Lare Kikkeli