Oblivion preview

Vault Dweller of RPGCodex fame made a nice compilation of dev quotes. Even if you don't like the RPGCodex it's worth checking out just so that you see all the "improvments" in one coherent post.

I guess if you are looking for a worthy successor to Daggerfall or just a RPG where you can actually roleplay beyond the choice of weapons you can pass up the game as it looks to be dumbed down beyond believe for the unwashed masses. Radiant AI and Havoc are likely to be cosmetic changes they can hype. Bethesda's design philosophy doesn't bode well for Fallout 3.

RPGCodex preview

Vampires are cool.

I'll be the first in line when Oblivion is released.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I can't seem to find a pc version at gamestop.com but Gamespot.com tells me that #'s 1, 2, and 3 are "currently Unavailable" ie it's out of production. But they still sell 3 for Xbox...

The reason I thought this was a XBOX only game was simply because the only times i've seen publisized reviews of it were for the xbox

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm going to have to disagree with metadigital.  After playing many games that now have spoken dialogue, it's a bit of a downer when I go back and play say a Planescape: Torment and I see how little of the dialogue is actually spoken.

Not that it really takes much away from PS:T, but I do find spoken lines to be more immersive.

Well, I am a big fan of the old Infocom adventures, after all. The full English parser and the copious descriptions and dialogue (metered via the BRIEF and VERBOSE switches) made those games instant classics.

I find

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I played Gothic just before I played Morrowind, and to me it was the other way around. Going from Gothic's all-spoken dialogue to Morrowind's no-spoken dialogue felt so.. poor. It was like taking a huge step backwards (or so it felt) and I had problems becoming immersed in Morrowind because of that. Now I don't want anything but voice actors all over the place! I just wish they spent a little more time and money on the actors..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Now I don't want anything but voice actors all over the place! I just wish they spent a little more time and money on the actors..

Agreed. I'm used to the voice acting in games like KOTOR and JE so it's a step back for me when I load up BG or PS:T.

I'm not sure I'd enjoy a game nowadays that was made if it didn't have full voice spoken dialogue. The oldschool games are an exception since the rest of the game makes up for it, but I just couldn't see myself getting too interested in, say, Jade Empire if it was just written text rather than actual voice acting dialogue.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I played Gothic just before I played Morrowind, and to me it was the other way around. Going from Gothic's all-spoken dialogue to Morrowind's no-spoken dialogue felt so.. poor. It was like taking a huge step backwards (or so it felt) and I had problems becoming immersed in Morrowind because of that. Now I don't want anything but voice actors all over the place! I just wish they spent a little more time and money on the actors..

I've highlighted the problem in your comments, above.

It seems to be mandatory to include spoken dialogue (again, I have no objection, per se), but they seem to be allocating the same amount of budget, even though they are hiring fifty times as many actors.

I recommend you go and play Beneath a Stell Sky. Really! Even just for a moment. The Voice Acting is far superior to anything I have played in the last year.

I don't know why this is the case, but I wish they would correct it. I suspect it is a methodological problem: e.g. it sometimes sounds as though the VO is completed pre-production and then added post-production, or something equally crazy.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT