Oblivion preview

So your pissed that you don't have to switch away from weapons, but have a penalty if you're wearing armor?

To use your example...you were upset because that uber-sword shot your defense through the roof, but are now lambasting it because armor users are less effective spellcasters......

Well, technically there is a feat to allow magic users to ignore penalties due to somatic components, so it is feasible that a mage can cast a spell in armour (and holding a weapon) provided the material and verbal components are met (or also catered for with a comperable feat ...)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Well, technically there is a feat to allow magic users to ignore penalties due to somatic components, so it is feasible that a mage can cast a spell in armour (and holding a weapon) provided the material and verbal components are met (or also catered for with a comperable feat ...)

Thats D&D and d20.

Never in the history of Elder Scrolls games have EVER armor hurt spellcasting but it was only possible to cast spells without holding anything in the hands.

I read a explination they done so to remove the need of a player to having to "read magic" but that is bull****, they already made it so when you press the attack key your will automatic ready weapons and strike so such system would be implement in relation to magic as well.

drakron.png

The lifeless text-based dialogue system has been replaced by an unbelievable 50 hours of speech, including erstwhile Enterprise captain Patrick Stewart as the human emperor.

You don't just replace a text-based hyperlink system with speech. Something has to propel the speech to happen, unless they are suggesting everyone just talks without the player activating dialogue. Last I heard from a Bethesda developer, it was hinted that an approach to dialogue trees was being pursued.

I think that's what they mean. The distinction I think they're making is whether the responses are "lifeless [and] text-based", or speech-based. Obviously, the Player has to make text-based comments, but one might argue that that goes without saying. Talking about the swtich from the keyword system to a dialogue tree perhaps isn't quite as interesting as mentioning that the new system will have over 50 hours of speech.

I don't like speech for speech's sake. It just doesn't make me more interested, doesn't make me feel more immersed, doesn't add significant depth to the game, in short: it doesn't do it for me. I can read faster than any actor's speech, create the necessary intonations mentally, and imagine better than any developers programme.

Speech for text is not the problem. That is froth and bubble.

It's what the characters are saying that's important, not their accents. Focusing on the addition of speech makes be think the characters have nothing worthwhile to say ...

I, on the other hand find speech to be greatly immersive. I too can read faster then any actor's speech, but in games that have it, like KotOR, I deliberately don't read the subtitles (the first time through, anyway). I suppose that's a case of different strokes.

As to whether there'd be anything worthwhile to say, well, I don't think that assessment is really fair. What could have been said about the new system that would persuade you that the characters have something worthwhile to say? A system involving significant amounts of speech implies to me a dialogue-tree system, and other than saying that explicitly, I can't really think of anything that could be said about the dialogue that wouldn't involve spoiling some part of the plot, or be completely subjective (like saying the dialogue is interesting and engaging).

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Guest Fishboot

Want to read an interview of an only partially gruntled ex-Beth designer about how TES writing works?

The Imperial Library (TES Lore/Fansite)

This actually started a snippy little backbiting thread with some of the Beth superfans and a dev or two on the Beth TES lore boards, although it's been put down the memory hole now. The part where all of the point-of-view mysteries really have no baseline "true history" took a lot of blush off Bethesda to me (If you're too stupid to understand that Morrowind's "story" was composed of several point of view mysteries then don't reply).

It's going to be great but it won't be KOTOR but still.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

I, on the other hand find speech to be greatly immersive.  I too can read faster then any actor's speech, but in games that have it, like KotOR, I deliberately don't read the subtitles (the first time through, anyway).  I suppose that's a case of different strokes.  ...

Yep, different strokes. :D

As to whether there'd be anything worthwhile to say, well, I don't think that assessment is really fair.  What could have been said about the new system that would persuade you that the characters have something worthwhile to say?  A system involving significant amounts of speech implies to me a dialogue-tree system, and other than saying that explicitly, I can't really think of anything that could be said about the dialogue that wouldn't involve spoiling some part of the plot, or be completely subjective (like saying the dialogue is interesting and engaging).

Well, they might have said that they had employed a team of writers including all the staff of Friends (not because they are especially good, but they are legion in number and know how to put together episodic scripts with multiple plot threads and even !gasp! humour), overseen by Woody Allen and Bob Dylan developing characters and Arthur C Clark editing the plot and Stephen Hawkin as special physics consultant and Sir Patrick Moore as astronomy consultant and James Gleick with Niklaus Wirth assisting in code design. :cool:

Speech is a nice-to-have. Plot and story are essential. :(

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Want to read an interview of an only partially gruntled ex-Beth designer about how TES writing works?

The Imperial Library (TES Lore/Fansite)

This actually started a snippy little backbiting thread with some of the Beth superfans and a dev or two on the Beth TES lore boards, although it's been put down the memory hole now. The part where all of the point-of-view mysteries really have no baseline "true history" took a lot of blush off Bethesda to me (If you're too stupid to understand that Morrowind's "story" was composed of several point of view mysteries then don't reply).

Neat.

... As for people like me who didn't like Morrowind as much, there are promising signs. Many of the things I complained about are getting attention, such as the character art, animation, combat, AI, and physics. I didn't have any confidence that any of these would be fixed, so I was pleasantly surprised to see these very issues being discussed in press releases and interviews. I heard that Mike Lipari was working on the AI, and he's the second best programmer I've ever met, so I have high expectations. ...

And I liked this terse explanation as to why the fanboys' endless whining about "official Revan" name / gender / background / lifestyle / alignment / brand of toothpaste / etcetra:

Sinder Velvin:

Will we ever find out the names of the Eternal Champion, the Hero of Daggerfall, the Hero of the Battlespire or the Nerevarine?

Douglas Goodall:

As far as I know, they will always be nameless. This is a needlessly complicated way to avoid "playing favorites" and cheapening the player's experiences. For all I know, it wasn't my Breton Sorcerer or Khajiti Assassin that re-assembled the Staff of Chaos and defeated Jagar Tharn, but your... Well... Whatever you played.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Its funny cause my mom introduced my sister to elder scrolls II: daggerfall when we were younger and the only games she will play are elder scrolls and I didnt even know about oblivion until she showed me the previews the other day and it looked pretty good.

Thats D&D and d20.

Never in the history of Elder Scrolls games have EVER armor hurt spellcasting but it was only possible to cast spells without holding anything in the hands.

I read a explination they done so to remove the need of a player to having to "read magic" but that is bull****, they already made it so when you press the attack key your will automatic ready weapons and strike so such system would be implement in relation to magic as well.

Well if that's all that's wrong with the game, then I guess we have a real winner here.

Always loved that "near miss" term.  In the words of George Carlin:

"Oh look at those two planes <kaboom>  Oh look...they nearly missed" :thumbsup:

Beat me to it....by a lot. <_<

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

It was neat in its idea. I'd never thought I'd play a game as much as I did where my most popular action was walking/jumping to build up my skillz0rs! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Also, I'm going to have to disagree with metadigital. After playing many games that now have spoken dialogue, it's a bit of a downer when I go back and play say a Planescape: Torment and I see how little of the dialogue is actually spoken.

Not that it really takes much away from PS:T, but I do find spoken lines to be more immersive.

This is a tad off topic but: do they make Elder Scroll games for the PC? or rather are the games ported to pc and could I get some?

I've never really played a morrowind game but it sounds like the type that I'd enjoy. Only problem is I have never been a poster boy for patience

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Yes, yes they do, Calax. Morrowind and its three expansions are all on the PC.

Is it sad that I had to resist a scathing remark, or a less than subtle picture displaying my disbelief and annoyance? No offense or anything Calax, I'm just surprised is all. After all, the Elder Scrolls games...at least the recent ones, are primarily for the PC...and were ported to X-Box, unless I'm mistaken. If so, please viciously dissect my post, and only talk to me in a thinly veiled, condescending manner from this point on.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

As I posted right above you (possible about the same time) Morrowind and Oblivion are being designed for both the XBox and PC at the same time. There is a different team for instance however working on the XBox version, as it has a different interface and all.

Humph...I was in the middle of typing when you and Alan made your posts................I got distracted by an IM :p

- Everlast