Fallout 3

thought provoking passionate characters. Quite frankly without memorable characters I don't think FO3 will work

Fallout is not exactly filled with though-provoking characters, either.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

thought provoking passionate characters. Quite frankly without memorable characters I don't think FO3 will work

Indeed. I think sometimes nostalgia makes people remember things in a better light than they actually were.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I hope they make an action-rpg out of FO 3. Just to spite the raving purists.

Edit: Did I say purists? I meant THE FINAL ARBITERS OF TRUTH of course.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I hope they make an action-rpg out of FO 3. Just to spite the raving purists.

Edit: Did I say purists? I meant THE FINAL ARBITERS OF TRUTH of course.

I'd be amused if they made it into a FPS ala Halo. :devil:"

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Anything to make the NMA-f*cktards quiver.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

"Guns, bombs, babes. I love my job."

kirottu said:

Indeed.

"Must be 18 or older to ride."

kirottu said:

I remember that. :thumbsup: Let DNF be an educative lesson in morals.

kirottu said:

It's not like the developers are making it up: just today I received a notice form my constabulary to inform the residents that a local club is filing for a pole-dancing licence. (Not surprising, really, considering the club is a dive and how much money is to be made form the saddoes that frequent such places.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Meh,it's not gonna be Fallout either way.

Even if it was PAC-MAN with supermutants instead of ghosts, it would be Fallout. That's because they have the license, and you don't. :devil:)

Whether it will be <insert random adjective of epic proportions> or not is a different matter altogether.

There are not many left, FOBOS pretty much was the final nail in the coffin for most Fallout fans, we lost interest in the game.

Ah, yes. It shows in the dispassionate demeanor you show each time you post in a FO-related thread (including but not restricted to this one). :thumbsup:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Looking back at Fallout with the recent RPG's that have come out, this is perhaps a true statement. By today's standards the characters were relatively shallow and one trick ponies. This is especially true if you compare it to PS:T, however I personally was impressed at the TIME it came out by personalities such as Harold, The Lieutanant, the Master, Set, Killian, and so on because prior to that, in the RPG's I had played the only thing to do was recklessly slaughter everything. Fallout is remembered as a thought provoking RPG with interesting characters because in 1998 everything was pretty shallow and it stood over the RPG's of the day. IMHO. Now of course nostalgia does play a part in my rememberences, but from a generalized standpoint, the only way to have a successor to Fallout is for memorable characters by today's standards to be involved.

That means they should build on RPG's like KOTOR, PS:T, and such and Fallout 3 should have this same level of character interaction. Above all it should interest me in the NPC's it throws my way. I should feel either hate or love for the characters I come across, passionate in one form or another, in order to be a spiritual successor to FO and FO2. This is something I have never experienced in a Bethesda game and as such, I fear what their Fallout 3 may be. Of course, I will ultimately reserve judgement until I see what they can do, but having read the design docs for Van Buren, there is nothing that will keep me from being somewhat disapointed that BIS or Obsidian didn't get a chance to release that Fallout 3.