Geek Pride

Walsingham

I like Red Dwarf, myself...

Please review my fanfic!

Atton's Redemption

Atton's Motivation July 30: CHAPTER 26 is up!

--------------

DISCLAIMER: These posts may contain humour. No warranties as to the gelogenic qualities, either expressed or implied, are undertaken by the undersigned. All rights reserved. This does not affect your IQ. Any issues, see your psychologist or increase your dosage. --Metadigital

Series one, yes. Danny John Jules' portrayal of a cat in human form was hilariously accurate, I think. Series two, maybe. Anything after that was so tired as to be barely watchable. Fawlty Towers would have gone the same way if they hadn't had the sense to quit while they were ahead.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

What was Firefly all about, anyway?  :wub:  Cause I might take a look at it considering all the compliments its recieved on this thread.

Don't take this as official, but my take is:

Galactic expansion occurs. Mankind edges out into space. Highly technological core worlds are zap-gun sophisticated. However, the difficulties involved in transport and distribution to virgin terraformed worlds puts many of the residents out on the fringe in a much less developed state. Akin to 1800s, peppered up with a mix of tech handed down third hand or less from the Core.

I think that at some point the core worlds, led by some kind of Anglo-Chinese organisation decided some law, order, and so forth had to be imposed on the smaller territories and independent colonies. This lead to some kind of galactic civil war. The independents, or Browncoats, got thrashed.

The captain of the ship Firefly, Malcolm Reynolds, was a sergeant in the Browncoats. After the war finished, he took one surviving member of his squad and bought the ship as a means of staying beyond the control of the Core Alliance. At the start of the series he has on board this fellow veteran (who has a disturbing tendency to call him 'sir'), a devious gunsel, a kooky mechtech, a hawaiian shirt-wearing pilot with some great lines, and some other oddballs that you will enjoy meeting.

Stories are a mix of crime adventure, and social stuff. Expect some surprises on the morality.

A very good show.

Wow.

That does sound interesting (even the clich

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Series one, yes. Danny John Jules' portrayal of a cat in human form was hilariously accurate, I think. Series two, maybe. Anything after that was so tired as to be barely watchable. Fawlty Towers would have gone the same way if they hadn't had the sense to quit while they were ahead.

I knew nothing of the series when I chanced upon the novel, which I thought was spectacular (up there with HHGttG).

I must say the tv series was quite a let down after the book. :wub:

PS John Cleese and Connie Booth only ever planned the two series of Fawlty Towers. They didn't get to the end of series two and say "Let's quit while we're ahead!". o:)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Correction; I wrote my synopsis after having stayed awake nearly 24 hours straight playing SS2. The name of the ship is in fact Serenity. It's CLASS is Firefly.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.