Geek Pride

Walsingham

In that case you want "gall" :*

For example,  I find it galling that you have the nerve to correct me when:

a) I was not in error

b) You failed to notice/mention the spelling mistake

:D

He clearly intended that denotation, though I did not note the error, as it was too obvious to mention. :(:p

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Given your sense of humour I am surprised you did not go for Whedon, Ender.

I like Firefly a huge amount, for the characters, and particularly for the 'hobnailed' morality the hero uses. Nothing fancy. It's a lot of fun.

And yes, geek pride, brother.

Buffy was occassionally funny. Here is my beef with Buffy and Angel. They tried to be very serious dramas, and I couldn't take them serious. People keep raving about the great characters and stories. People also said the show got better with each season. It was supposedly darker and more serious.

So why in the last season were they still pulling stupid ****?

A demon is over for a party at Buffy's house when she brings home a potential boyfriend, who knows nothing of the whole demon/vampire/slayer thing. The demon has red skin, horns, the works. They explain him away as having a simple skin condition and play it off for a cheap laugh.

Occassional witty banter was sandwiched in between weak plots, contrived conditions, lame jokes, and a show that tried to take itself seriously.

The X-Files managed humor suprisingly in a dark show, If Buffy was camp all the way, so be it. It worked wonders for the Evil Dead movies. But Buffy didn't want to be camp, and failed in it's bid to be a serious show.

Angel had less witty banter, less empathetic characters, more silly Demon-universe stuff, and more contrived situations.

Given that most of the people who recommend Firefly to me insist that Buffy was the greatest show on the planet, I have reservations about Firefly, but I still want to see it.

Ah, Ok, I see your point. If stuff like that bugged you, then I can understand. I think I approached the whole thing from the parable angle.

AND the really good news is that Firefly is much less silly. So i doubly recommend you check it out.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Ah, Ok, I see your point. If stuff like that bugged you, then I can understand. I think I approached the whole thing from the parable angle.

AND the really good news is that Firefly is much less silly. So i doubly recommend you check it out.

Also, I wasn't a fan of Buffy or Angel either. I just mostly like the universe he created and the entertaining characters.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I never cared much for Buffy or Angel. Really the only positives I found from them were the alright theme musics. Way too overrated. Firefly, on the other hand, was quite good. Although, I didn't get to see that many episodes, due to no towning a tv.

Authority, everytime you post, I start looking for subtle hints of warnings for thread closure. Should I?:p

Athority: No, you shouldnt! Im the kind, loving and helpful moderator :)

Me: Hey! Out of my post you...

Authority: But I like it here! Its so warm and comfortable :(

Me: Now that you mention, it's quite comfortable in here. And hot....

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

HE IS! IT'S TRUE!

Except for you know, the unneccessary editering of other people's posts...but he didn't close the Halo turned Half Life turned Deus Ex turned System Shock 2 thread down despite Mothman's (our resident Xbox fanatic in lieu of Epiphany), requests...it will remain to be seen whether or not Fionavar does. :ph34r:

There's a thread to be closed somewhere? Where? Where?

...And we think shows like Firefly make us geeks? hahahaha

I like Angel. The only real terrible acting in the show was Cordelia. Terrible Actor. My brother in law was the photographer at her wedding, but he didn't say much about her one way or the other. We were too busy playing video games to talk about geeky TV shows.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Mmmmm... Charisma Carpenter.

*ahem*

The point is that I only just got into these sorts of shows in the last six months. I have had to come out of the closet as a geek at a rather late stage, although obviously my friends and family have known for years. o:)

caring about the fortunes of a sci-fi tv show is proper geek, though. i just wondered if anyone else has something they consider properly geeky.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Farscape > Everything.

The use of a mathematical symbol certainly makes that geek +4 for me.

-Elwood Blues

Farscape > Everything.

I guess it might have been a good series.

I never saw the beginning, and (although I appreciate their was an epic quality to the story and plot) so I only ever got frustrated with the tiny fragments of the show I saw ... reminded me a lot of DS9 (i.e. boring talking heads and alien political dissertations), and the glacial plot impulsion just made me snore ... 8)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I keep hearing how good Farscape is. Maybe I should download the first couple eps considering the only DVDs for it I ever find is like season 2 volume 4 or something stupid like that.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Farscape did'nt look like anything special from what i saw of it...

Buffy was'nt anything special either but i would still watch it if it was on. I mostly liked the books based on the series which are quite good in my opinion. I also like the games.

P.S all the star trek T.V series sucked.

Charisma Carpenter is a good actress. Don't udnerrate her just because she also looks good. Most actresses are attractive so in reality that means nothing.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I guess I must be one of the few geeks to not get into Star Trek or Farscape or Firefly or Stargate SG-1 or pretty much any show on the Sci-Fi channel. :lol: Although I loved to watch "Sightings" when it was on, and I also used to watch the "Friday the 13th" series. (both old Sci-Fi channel shows)

What was Firefly all about, anyway? :thumbsup: Cause I might take a look at it considering all the compliments its recieved on this thread.

I guess I must be one of the few geeks to not get into Star Trek or Farscape or Firefly or Stargate SG-1 or pretty much any show on the Sci-Fi channel.  :thumbsup:  Although I loved to watch "Sightings" when it was on, and I also used to watch the "Friday the 13th" series.  (both old Sci-Fi channel shows)

How do you regard yourself as a geek, then? What geekiness do you possess? (Do you bite the heads of small animals in a circus?) :ph34r:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Farscape > Everything.

I guess it might have been a good series.

It was. The Peacekeeper Wars wasn't up to much, but it's still a shame they cancelled it.

I guess I must be one of the few geeks to not get into Star Trek or Farscape or Firefly or Stargate SG-1 or pretty much any show on the Sci-Fi channel.  :( 

So much to look forward to. :) Not that I know anything about Firefly, except that the movie trailer didn't inspire me with longing to see it. But it's good to know that if I ever really really feel the need for a fix of new sci-fi, there's a whole series out there waiting for me.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I guess I must be one of the few geeks to not get into Star Trek or Farscape or Firefly or Stargate SG-1 or pretty much any show on the Sci-Fi channel.  :)  Although I loved to watch "Sightings" when it was on, and I also used to watch the "Friday the 13th" series.  (both old Sci-Fi channel shows)

How do you regard yourself as a geek, then? What geekiness do you possess? (Do you bite the heads of small animals in a circus?) :ph34r:

Um, no. *shudders*

I love stuff like Star Wars, LOTR, and a whole bunch of sci-fi/fantasy/horror stuff. I just haven't gotten into many shows on the Sci-Fi channel recently. :) Or would that make me more of a nerd? :(

What was Firefly all about, anyway?  :(  Cause I might take a look at it considering all the compliments its recieved on this thread.

Don't take this as official, but my take is:

Galactic expansion occurs. Mankind edges out into space. Highly technological core worlds are zap-gun sophisticated. However, the difficulties involved in transport and distribution to virgin terraformed worlds puts many of the residents out on the fringe in a much less developed state. Akin to 1800s, peppered up with a mix of tech handed down third hand or less from the Core.

I think that at some point the core worlds, led by some kind of Anglo-Chinese organisation decided some law, order, and so forth had to be imposed on the smaller territories and independent colonies. This lead to some kind of galactic civil war. The independents, or Browncoats, got thrashed.

The captain of the ship Firefly, Malcolm Reynolds, was a sergeant in the Browncoats. After the war finished, he took one surviving member of his squad and bought the ship as a means of staying beyond the control of the Core Alliance. At the start of the series he has on board this fellow veteran (who has a disturbing tendency to call him 'sir'), a devious gunsel, a kooky mechtech, a hawaiian shirt-wearing pilot with some great lines, and some other oddballs that you will enjoy meeting.

Stories are a mix of crime adventure, and social stuff. Expect some surprises on the morality.

A very good show.

-Elwood Blues