Dungeon Siege 2

Fileplanet says there will be a demo out tomorrow for Dungeon Siege 2.

Anyone interested?

Already played the beta 2 months ago..it was pretty *bleeh*.

Graphics the same virtually, lame voice acting and storyline, and combat, while slightly different, is by no means better than the "play's itself" style of the original.

Graphics the same virtually, lame voice acting and storyline, and combat, while slightly different, is by no means better than the "play's itself" style of the original.

Graphics are way better

Some of the voice acting were placeholders

Storyline is the best seen in any Hack&Slash

And, well, the combat thing is personal. Don't like Hold to Attack?

Graphics are way better

I don't know - I remember trying the original and being awed by the engine but this engine didn't seem to have improved much other than a few flashier spell effects.

Also while crappy voice-acting can be improved from a beta demo, crappy dialog and plotting usually can't.

I've been watching this one; glad to see some early feedback on it. Dungeon Seige was not so hot on story, and that was one of the things the devs said they wanted to improve. (But I still play it just to watch the trees sway and listen to the music) With DS2, I'll wait for the price to go down, but I'll still buy it. So, graphics aside, would you equate the story depth to Icewind Dale?

Graphics are way better

Some of the voice acting were placeholders

Storyline is the best seen in any Hack&Slash

:(

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Well, they have changed it alot.

Such a lot that "Hardcore Dungeon Siege Fans" complained about (a grasp):

* The huge amount of Sub-Quests (comparable to the total amount of quests in KOTOR2 or more)

* The fact you got stuck in storyline if you didn't pay attention to the conversations (you know, WTF should I do? Even when said so)

* Overhaul of the combat system, thus causing them to have 3 different inside you can switch between to suit your needs

* The fact that MP focusses more on being a party doing the story together, than try to slash everything in sight for lvl's...

* The fact that the AI tries to surround you and surprise you instead of walking into their arms

* The huge amount of Sub-Quests (comparable to the total amount of quests in KOTOR2 or more)

And how many will be the too common Fed Ex and "go kill that"?

How many times ... quantity does not equal quality.

* The fact you got stuck in storyline if you didn't pay attention to the conversations (you know, WTF should I do? Even when said so)

Thats plain retarded, all games sould have a jornal with a quest entry saying what is the next step ... this is not PnP were the DM can just point the player to the next step if they got lost.

* Overhaul of the combat system, thus causing them to have 3 different inside you can switch between to suit your needs

I have no idea of what you just said ...

* The fact that MP focusses more on being a party doing the story together, than try to slash everything in sight for lvl's...

We all know the success of BG and IWD multiplayer ...

* The fact that the AI tries to surround you and surprise you instead of walking into their arms

Zerg rush tactics ...

drakron.png

Thats plain retarded, all games sould have a jornal with a quest entry saying what is the next step ... this is not PnP were the DM can just point the player to the next step if they got lost.

I didn't play enough of Dungeon Siege to ever feel like I was stuck in the game and unable to progress, so I do not know if the fault was really at the hands of the developers when it came to giving clues to players in regards to advancing. However, at first glance the comment made just seems like they were trying to somehow make up for ADD kids who couldn't focus on anything else other than clicking on the mouse.

I have no idea of what you just said ...

I am the pusher robot

I shove around the blind people

We are here to protect you

From the terrible secret of space

@ Musopticon?

:wub:

@ Drakon:

1. Far less than with Diablo 2, Dungeon Siege or even KOTOR... (From your description every quest becomes a Fed Ex quest in any games anyways)

2. Yes, the journal also gives the given goals. But if you miss the convo, you usually miss detailed description how to get to your goal and what to do their, plus the reason why you should go there...

3. The combat in DS2 was supposed to be like Diablo 2, hold to attack. Old DS-players complained and now it will feature these and various combat-ways of the old one...

4. So, what do you say? Diablo style online (Kill untill the next level) is way better?

5. What is "Zerg Rush Tactics" supposed to mean?

@ Role-Player

Do not confuse which part is about Dungeon Siege and which is about Dungeon Siege 2..., as you seem to do

Dungeon Siege 2 will, apparently, force the player to keep track of objectives, clues, and dialogue to finish the story. DS 1 did not.

I don't care, anyhow. If they made DS2 like DS1 with more content, I'd be perfectly happy. I liked DS1.

The changes that Battlewookiee has mentioned sounds as if they will improve the game, but time will tell, I suppose.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

3DGamers seems to have a fast download available now...(1.4 GB)

At least they are confident enough in their game to release the demo to the general public prior to the games release - a rarity these days

1. Far less than with Diablo 2, Dungeon Siege or even KOTOR... (From your description every quest becomes a Fed Ex quest in any games anyways)

Fed Ex means "go deliver that" or "go pick up that and bring it back to me".

Quests became that because the developers are usually rather do such simple quests that complex ones.

Nothing wrong with Fed Ex quests as long its clear they are just that and they evolve ... the biggest issue with side quest is they dont affect the game world, the main quests or even other side quests.

That IS the issue with side quests, they serve only to give player more XP and loot.

2. Yes, the journal also gives the given goals. But if you miss the convo, you usually miss detailed description how to get to your goal and what to do their, plus the reason why you should go there...

And if I happen to just shutdown after getting the goal to go to sleep I will forget what the hell was that about so either Dungeon Siege 2 can be completed in 5 hours or there will be issues with players forgetting what the hell they are supposed to do since they paused/quit the game.

3. The combat in DS2 was supposed to be like Diablo 2, hold to attack. Old DS-players complained and now it will feature these and various combat-ways of the old one...

I hate "hold to attack" because I end up "click to attack", there are two games that managed to physical damage to me ... one was Wings of Glory (a WW I flight sim that had realistic controls, unfortunatly such controls were pretty bad for my wrist, they eventually patch it with a "F 16 style" control) and Diablo 2.

4. So, what do you say? Diablo style online (Kill untill the next level) is way better?

People still play Diablo 2, story mode co-op is not a mode that people tend to use seeing the fiasco of BG and IWD multiplayer.

Its not a question of "whats better", Guild Wars pretty much forces co-op and few people group outside missions.

5. What is "Zerg Rush Tactics" supposed to mean?

Starcraft reference.

And no, I dont consider "surround you and surprise you" good AI, you only need "pop up" monsters for the suprise and 5 linked mobs around the same area to surround.

Guild Wars have a pretty good AI with mobs having hate lists so they prioratize targets based on what they see, monks usually are target first but I dont see how such AI can be set in such a game.

That leads to the fact I am tired of RPGs that have "red dot syndrome", the maps are full of enemies and make it a pain to travel then.

drakron.png

In reply to Drakon's post:

1. there will be more complex side-missions inside, loads of them too. And if it is Fed-Ex you can be assured that you will meet the goal while traveling for the main part. It's not like MW where you had to travel 30 minutes, totally away from any other mission/main plot. Also Teleporters and Teleport spells make sure that every "Fed-Ex" mission can be done fast, totally ignoring any distance barrier

2. Well, if you forget everything that is said within 5 min... Then, yes. It's not like you have to be fully attentional and make notes about everything said and such, but you do have to keep alert to follow the main plot (like almost all RPG's with Story (KOTOR for example))

3. Then you have to be happy they included a new method too after complaints about this during the Beta period...

4. Well, personal choise here then, but I prefer together story...

Also note BG and IWD are not Hack&Slash, making together traveling a large bit different than in DS2

5. Well, not only surprise you... That is mainly just in the beginning.

Some AI Tactics:

Attacking the Healers

Some creatures go "Postal" if a certain action is done (like drinking a potion) making them more dangerous

They protect their own healers/reviver/healer

And this are just some of them...

I'm downloading the demo right now.. 1.4 Gb. Geez. I'm downloading a FULL game at the same time that clocks in at 26 Mb. Imagine that.

Edit: Gamershell download link: http://www.gamershell.com/download_10121.shtml

Please: one of my pet peeves is people who do not use Syst

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT