NHL is back

Cantousent

Yeah, but Belfour kind of had to start playing well, after he made those two huge mistakes in the second. One easy shot that he should have taken and then when he fumbled the puck outside his goalie zone..

He's like a double edged sword. He was phenomenal after the second period, but he was also the reason the game had to go to overtime and shootouts. If you only look at his game statistics, it'll look like he had one hell of a game, but it wasn't like that. He had mostly a good game with one lousy period.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

So I'm watching the morning sports and there is Ty Conklin. Talking about his demotion to the minors. Without quoting because I'm stoned, let me just say that he is taking it like a total pro and as a positive thing. I wish all NHL'ers had a fraction of the class that Conks is showing right now (Sean Avery hint hint) in getting sent down.

And the only thing I want for my birthday today is a solid victory over the Avalanche. Well that and maybe a hummer... :blink:

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Only a classless team organization would send a guy to the 'minors'. Only a coward would do that. And, only fans of cowards would support a policy like that.

It's like Microsoft demoting an employee to a lesser known computer company.

R00fles!

If the player isn't good enough for you, fire his butt. Plain, and simple.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It's like Microsoft demoting an employee to a lesser known computer company.

That's the most bizarre comparison I've ever heard. First off, Conklin is still part of the organization. His contract is not terminated. It would be more like Microsoft moving him into a less prestigious position, or sending him to an office out in the boondocks.

Second, the minors means he still gets paid the same, and he will probably get a ton of more playing time. Is it better for them to have him sit on the bench every game? He just needs to work hard and earn his way back to the major league team. No NHL team stays healthy all season long, so if he gets to work he'll get another chance to play.

"That's the most bizarre comparison I've ever heard. First off, Conklin is still part of the organization. His contract is not terminated. It would be more like Microsoft moving him into a less prestigious position, or sending him to an office out in the boondocks.

Second, the minors means he still gets paid the same, and he will probably get a ton of more playing time. Is it better for them to have him sit on the bench every game? He just needs to work hard and earn his way back to the major league team. No NHL team stays healthy all season long, so if he gets to work he'll get another chance to play."

If he's not good enough to play for them they should simply fire him. It doesn't take 'class' on his aprt to accept his 'demotion' it takes cowardice and alck of conviction on his part.

Quite frankly, the team just told him he sucks like poo. That isn't clasy on their aprt either. If ane mployer told me I suck like poo; I sure as heck would no longer work for them and it wouldn't be because I lacke dclass (though i do for other reasons, lol); it's because I have no motivation to work for someone who thinks I suck for poo.

I'd rather work for someone who thinks I'm a worthwhile contributer, and worth the salary they pay me.

As an employee, a demotion is NEVER an option. Never.

Well put Deraldin. I can see Volourns point, I just don't agree with it. Conklin has shown spots of brilliance in the past, just not this year. He missed most of training camp with an injury, which is no excuse I know, but it seems as though Conklin has been the man everyone puts the blame on for the Oilers current woes.

I'd rather see him regain his form in the minors than trade him or release him from his contract. And to his credit the entire team has been sucking ass as of late.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

If he's not good enough to play for them they should simply fire him. It doesn't take 'class' on his aprt to accept his 'demotion' it takes cowardice and alck of conviction on his part.

You can't 'fire' an NHL player. At best you can put him on waivers, but if no one picks him up, you still have to pay his contract.

At best you can negotiate a contract buyout, but those can only be done at the beginning of the season, and from now on will still count against your salary cap.

Furthermore, he hasn't been "sent down" to the minors. He's been put on a "conditioning stint." Conditioning stints are for a maximum of 2 weeks, and require the consent of the player. In other words, Ty Conklin had to agree with the decision. It wasn't the organization "demoting him."

Yet again, you cannot compare professional sports with a standard job.

The reason why he wasn't put outright onto waivers is because the team is NOT giving up on him. They are trying to put him in situations where he can regain his confidence, because he's clearly shaken by his performance thus far in the season. The Edmonton Oilers organization has not given up on Ty Conklin. Otherwise he'd be tossed onto waivers.

Anyone want to bet on if Forsberg nets his first against the Montreal?

I believe this is the game! He won't be goalless any longer!

And the Preds are up 2 nothing over the Hawks right now. Would someone please stop their winning streak?

Make that three nothing, Kariya just potted a backhand over top of Khabibulin.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

No predictions. Hopefully a win, and if it's a loss, it better not be because of poor play on our part :rolleyes:

Oh, one more thing to mention regarding the "demotion" earlier. It certainly didn't seem to hurt Mark Messier's career :D

"Then don't think of it as a demotion. Think of it as him being sent out for more training. Other jobs will sometimes require you to go for periodic training course for one thing or another, and so does hockey."

Trading is completely differnt to me than being sent to the minors. Afterall, everyone's goal is to make it to the NHL. Being sent to the minors only hurts your chances.

Being sent for training in anrea you don't know to update your knowledge base is a whole different issue. He's being sent to a hockey league. He's not leanring anything knew except his employer thinks he sucks.

"In other words, Ty Conklin had to agree with the decision. It wasn't the organization "demoting him."

Irrelavnt. Thats' why I called him a coward for accepting the demotion. No matter hwo you cut it, it is a demotion. And, if Messier had accepted a demotion in the "past he was also a coward. I'm sure glad he grew out of the cowardice phase.

"You can't 'fire' an NHL player. At best you can put him on waivers, but if no one picks him up, you still have to pay his contract.

At best you can negotiate a contract buyout, but those can only be done at the beginning of the season, and from now on will still count against your salary cap."

Irrleavnt. Telling the player to go home is firing him. Just like when a coach or Gm is fired with a year or two left on their contratc. Even though the club still ha sto pay him (unless another teams signs him) it s still a firing.

"They are trying to put him in situations where he can regain his confidence, because he's clearly shaken by his performance thus far in the season."

That's right. Getting him to play with guys who either aren't ready for the NHL, or simply aren't good enopugh for the NHL will boost his ego. Haha. That would be like sending a 15 year old to play with 8 year olds to 'boost his confidence'.

Hahahahahaha!

As for Edmonton, the reason why they're playing poorly is because the team is awful. Very few good players, horrible goaltending, and a medicore coach would do that to you.

Edited by Volourn

I think there are some referee's that are blind that are calling the Edmonton-Colorado game. :) Calling a goalie interference against Edmonton on a dive by the Colorado goalie. <_<

And now the Avs just scored twice in the final minute. :)

Trading is completely differnt to me than being sent to the minors. Afterall, everyone's goal is to make it to the NHL. Being sent to the minors only hurts your chances.

It turns many players into the superstars they become. Like Mark Messier. I figured since you claimed to be a fan, you'd actually know something about him.

For the rest of your post, it's clear you have no understanding about the psychology of sports. Nor do you have any inkling about how contracts work in the NHL. Or sports in general.

Have a nice day.

Edited by alanschu

Must be tough being an Oilers fan right now. I feel for you!

The Leafs keep winning some, but like the last game against the Bruins: it doesn't exactly look good. Or safe! They really need to start playing better defense, Belfour just has to be more consistent and play the entire game as he did in the last half of the game, our goalscorers need to step it up, especially O'neill and Allison, and our rookies (STEEN!) needs more discipline and needs to stop drawing 4 minute penalites in the remaining 30 seconds of a tied game!

Other than that we're pretty set :ermm:

I've had a few PMs in regard to this thread. Though things seem, generally, OK, I do feel that there is a certain tension occurring within this current discussion. Rather than close this thread altogether, I'm going to start a new one, but close this larger one down. Remember to please discuss the topic and not bait/inflame or antagonise one another.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon: