NHL is back

Cantousent

There was a pretty good turnout. I felt kind of bad for Fernando Pisani who was there, but didn't have quite the mob that Peca and Pronger had for autographs, so I got one from him. It was cool though, because I was actually able to very briefly chat with him though. Nice guy! :D

As for free agents Droma, Ray Whitney would still be a good addition. Rumor mill has Reasoner and a third round pick for Handzus, which wouldn't be too bad. It'd certainly go more with the scoring by committee philosophy :(

Palffy is still out there, but even with 5 million I don't think he'd want to play in Edmonton. Josef Stumpel is out there too, and might allow for Stoll to have a bit more development time.

I had some comp tickets to the RBC cup in town here a few years ago. I wore the sweater in my avatar, and can you guess who was there to drop the puck. Fernando Pisani. He looked really solid. My friend and I were in a rush to get to our seats and hit the liquor wagon, and we stood beside him in the lineup.

My buddy had no clue who he was, but I started to hum the song by Abba under my breath, but loud enough for him to hear. I caught a little glare... :( And I saw him recognize my jersey when he was on the ice and it was hard to tell from my vantage point but I think I was the recipient of the classic crook eye.

But back to hockey, I think Marty Reasoner is the epitome of an Edmonton Oiler. Except for his numbers, of course. And the RPM line seems like a decent replacement for the Marchant, Grier , Moreau defensive line.

I would rather see Whitney as an Oiler than Handzus, though. Although Handzus is a rather big motha trucka and is finally showing some consistancy, Ray seems to be more of the Oiler player, small and speedy. Saying that makes me think Handzus is the more likely candidate.

Anyhoo glad to hear you had a good time at the welcoming party, I'll watch Sportsnet tonight to look for any Spider Man lookalikes... :)

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I think it was 7 years since the Leafs last missed the play-offs. Allison is a good addition (if he's healthy) but I still think this is going to be a painful season. How hard can it be to clean up the roster from everyone over 35 and add some TALENT for once? I wish Toronto could get a Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin or Zherdev.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I think the Leafs are in for a long haul this year too. And how do you think Allison is going to like being the #2 pivot? I realize he hasn't played in ages, but he's still a top line centre in my book. And Toronto has their GMs of the past few years to thank for their lack of up an comers...

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I'm sad to see Brad May go to the Avs.  He was a gritty role player for the 'Nucks.

I'm definately going to miss him, and I think his teammates are as well. He was a really popluar guy in the dressing room.

Unfortunately, May got no respect from that HACK Crawford...many nights May was forced to step up and fight guys waayy out of his weight class because Crawford refused to dress any toughness, despite the public pleas from guys like Naslund and Linden that the team was too soft. And to make matters worse, May was usually rewarded for his bravery by being a healthy scratch the next game.

This was written about Selanne

He just seems to be the kind of guy who needs 18+ minutes a night to put up decent numbers. He was the big fish in a little pond in San Jose, and more so in Winnepeg.

Honestly, he was a total bust in San Jose. He got a ton of chances that he couldn't bury. The guy has been seriously snake bitten.

Kariya, on the other hand, just seems like his body has hit the career wall. All those years of being a target in Anaheim have caught up to him, and I doubt he'll play a full season ever again. I could be wrong though, and he's got more depth than Selanne. He can play the entire ice.

Does anyone else think Lindros was done like 5 years ago? He had like one good year in Philly. I'm amazed he hasn't gotten anymore concussions, but I don't think anyone is hitting him anymore. Why bother? It's not like the Rangers were winning games with him.

I think Edmonton has done great in Free Agency, but you can't throw together a team in the NHL and be successful. These teams that are wheeling and dealing will make the playoffs...and lose to teams that maintained a core group over a few years. Calgary, San Jose, New Jersey, Ottawa, and Tampa Bay are still the teams to beat in my book.

Poor Tampa Bay. They are likely the first SC champions who have NO chance to repeat. Another reason to dislike the new look NHL. Meh.

And, come on people, someone sign the Moose!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Poor Tampa Bay. They are likely the first SC champions who have NO chance to repeat. Another reason to dislike the new look NHL. Meh.

They wouldn't be the first and they wouldn't be the last. This fact has nothing to do with the new CBA. But you're right in one thing; Tampa Bay does look a whole lot worse without Khabibulin in the net.

Rumours are still flying about the Leafs trying to trade Belfour.. but for whom?

"They wouldn't be the first and they wouldn't be the last. This fact has nothing to do with the new CBA."

Yes, it does. The difference betwene TB this year and other defending champions who fialed the following year is those other teams because entered the season the with esentially the team and had a chance to repeat. Sadly, because of the new CBA and the loss of all their good players, TB is not even the same team despite the same uniform and in fact aren't even gonna be in the top ten when it comes to favorites to win the cup. That is because of the CBA.

Yes, it does. The difference betwene TB this year and other defending champions who fialed the following year is those other teams because entered the season the with esentially the team and had a chance to repeat. Sadly, because of the new CBA and the loss of all their good players, TB is not even the same team despite the same uniform and in fact aren't even gonna be in the top ten when it comes to favorites to win the cup. That is because of the CBA.

Very few teams that won the cup managed to hold on to their key players the following year (unless you go back to the days of the Oilers or Islanders dynasties). Why? Because often the key players were young players entering into their prime at the time of the Cup victory. The following year they could often renegotiate their contracts, and because of their newfound Cup stardom they could demand a lot more money. I don't think Tamba would have been able to hold on to their entire roster under the old CBA either, because a lot of other, richer teams would have been hunting for their up-and-coming stars. This is all speculation however as neither you or I could possibly know the what would happen in that alternate universe.

I'm happy about the new CBA. It has worked fantastic so far, with a lot of the smaller teams finally being able to pick up some big names. This means that the poorer teams won't be stuck in an eternal rebuilding process because of the rich teams getting all the talent using their superior resources. Unfortunately for me, this has NOT benefitted Toronto at all, but it's still very cool seeing teams like Nashville getting someone like Kariya. That would not have been possible under the old CBA.

I tend to see some members' names and just skip to the next post.

MOD EDIT: Please don't target individual members when commenting in a thread. If someone is really irritating, report it to a mod. I try to respond quickly.

Nashville has every right to be in the league. They have built a solid following with basically hand me downs from other teams. I think teams that can't put more than 7-8000 people in their seats are the ones that should be out of the league.

And I agree with Mkreku, the new CBA is effective. Its the GMs and owners who weren't prepared for this that are in trouble now. Hey, it was obvious there was going to be a labor stoppage in 03/04, and now teams that actually have developmental systems in place are being rewarded. Other clubs that like to snatch up talent for draft picks are paying the price now. Look at Toronto. Or the Islanders. Or the Rangers, who still managed to have a fire sale at the end of the year and are still pretty much screwed.

I would say the new economics of the NHL rewards teams that have smart management, not just a pile of cash to throw around.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

"I would say the new economics of the NHL rewards teams that have smart management, not just a pile of cash to throw around."

Sad to say it; but the Rangers are proof that having a 'pile of cash' doesn't help. You need smart managment. Period.

I'm going to prune all references to trolling out of this thread. Please, folks, please don't ruin a great discussion by baiting each other and being nasty. Discuss hockey. Don't pretend that you're playing it in this thread.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

"They wouldn't be the first and they wouldn't be the last. This fact has nothing to do with the new CBA."

Who, besides from Khabibulin, have Tampa Bay lost? That's not a result of the CBA, that's the result of Tampa just not deciding to re-sign him. They are well under the cap to be able to afford him, they just chose not to. The rest of their roster (atleast the key components) are still under contract.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Let's just ignore The Clueless One and continue discussing hockey, shall we?

I must say the trade I've been most impressed with so far is.. Bobby Holik to Atlanta! I coundn't think of a more natural fit than that! Atlanta is a young team with great speed and several highly skilled players (Heatley, Kovalchuk being the top ones) but I've always thought they lacked in grit, experience and toughness. Holik might not be the league's greatest athlete in any way, but that guy sure can play tough. I remember one year when Toronto met New Jersey Devils in the playoffs. Sundin and Mogilny (I think it was) had been dominating in the first match and the Devils coach (Burns? Constantine?) put Holik on Sundin to try to smother Toronto's first line. Sundin had to carry Holik like a backpack for the rest of the series, went way below his normal points output and the Devils won the series. One sequence that really stayed in my mind was when Sundin was fighting for the puck along the board at the New Jersey bench when Holik suddenly clipped Sundin with a devastating bodycheck. Sundin is big with great balance and is seldom sent to the ground, but this particular time he fell over and sat on his butt, with this weird look of surprise on his face. That's when I knew Toronto was in big trouble, and it was only the second or third game of the series.

And Palffy to the Penguins!! Holy ****e Mario is putting together himself a nice little team this year. Recchi, Lemieux, Palfs, Crosby, Gonchar, Fleury in net. I hate to say it, but this could be the Pens year to shine...

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I think Edmonton has done great in Free Agency, but you can't throw together a team in the NHL and be successful.

I wouldn't consider Edmonton to be a team that has just thrown together a team and expected to be succesful.

They have a solid core that they've been working with and developing for years (aside from the guys that got really good and went elsewhere because the Oilers could no longer afford them). Pronger and Peca are additions to a fairly close knit team, in order to provide a more well rounded team as well as a bit more experience and leadership. Pronger is going to be another guy for the young defense players that Edmonton has to look up to. He may not officially wear the 'C' (or even an 'A'), but when Bergeron and Semenov look at the way the former Norris and Hart trophy winner (and Olympic Gold Medalist) prepares for games and practices and in the gym, it's going to rub off.

As for Palffy to Pitts, I like the move. The more pressure you can take off Crosby the better, and he now has 3 very talented players to help him along in Recchi, Lemieux, and Palffy.

I can imagine that Powerplay of Lemieux, Palffy, Recchi, Crosby, and Gonchar. Even if Crosby struggles it's still gonna do ok :p

NOw I have to choose who to put in the write in box on my hockey pool. Mario or Sidney. I stay away from the Pens as a rule, normally, but this could be a dynamite season for a few players in their club.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I'd probably hesitate about picking either.

Lemieux is another year older and he's always had nagging injuries throughout his entire career.

Crosby is talented, but he also does have a lot of pressure on him, and it is a whole new level. I don't think he'll do horrible, and I have every confidence he's going to have a stellar career, but the guy is still 17 :p

And Rick Nash resigned with Columbus for 27 million or five years. I'm not sure how that is going to break down on a yearly scale, but that seems like a whole heck of a lot money for a kid new to the league, even if he did tie for the RR trophy. Now Kovalchuk is probably going to cost Atlanta an arm and a leg. And I wonder how much Heatley will be asking for.

A scary thought about all these teams signing people to huge contracts is that the salary cap is based on league revenue, is it not? If things don't go so well for the NHL this season, there could be a lot of contracts that teams will not be able to keep if the cap goes down.

It just seems a little weird that Holik would sign for 4 million a year ( ok so I don't know the exact number but its up there) after he made 6 or 7 in his buyout from the Rangers. Its good to see that greed is still alive and kicking... :p

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I guess they figure that Nash has proven himself to be a star (a franchise to build around), with that awesome last season of his. Personally I think it's a bad move from Columbus side, but maybe they were forced to pay him that to be able to keep him?

The revenues are tied to salaries, so players are actually paying a certain amount of money into kind of a fund. If the revenues aren't as expected, the fund belongs to the clubs and if the revenues are up, the players get back their money.

Hahahaha, I was at TSN.ca reading up about Nash's signing, and some guy post:

You gotta give props to Columbus for retaining Nash, and for adding to their team. I hate the jackets for stealing Foote from the Leafs but you gotta respect the new environment.

Don't take this the wrong way Mkreku, as you seem sane, but I've been having a barrel of laughs with some of the bizarre postings that Leafs fans have made. Apparently they also had Forsberg and Naslund stolen from them, in addition to the Bulin wall.

Even more entertaining are the text messages sent in on 'primetime sports with Bob McCowan' on sportsnet. You can text in whatever you want , pretty much, and it rotates between 'Oilers suck, Flames rule', "Leafs suck, habs rule' and 'forget the rest, its the canucks year' and you can't forget the constant requests for Fergusons' head... :p

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I didn't get to see much of Nash last season, but he was pretty impressive when I did. He's got the size and the speed to build a team around. I think Columbus sees him as their Yzerman or Modano. It's still early in his career though, so who knows.

I didn't want to sound like I was getting down on Edmonton earlier, as they really have impressed me with their moves. I just question whether the big pickups are going to propel them forward in the playoffs. I believe it takes every team a few years to gel, unless you coach is Scotty Bowman (and even he had a few tough playoff years after dominating the regular season.)

Tampa seems to be pretty much intact. St. Louis, Lecavilair (sp?), and Richards are the real cornerstones of that franchise. Khabibulin is a good goaltender, and he played hot during the playoffs, but I don't think he's irreplaceable. Other than Martin Brodeur, every major goalie in the league runs hot and cold.