NHL is back

Cantousent

In homage to Titosros most excellent thread, I'm going to enshrine it in the "20 page hall of fame." As is the custom, I will close threads at 20 pages and open a brand new thread in honor of the originator.

Please see Titosros' original here which, while shifting and shading, has remained remarkably on topic.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Someone in the other NHL thread was arguing that Mark Messier no longer was a top player in the NHL. I'd just like to direct that person to this Top Ten List of Free Agents where Mark Messier ended up at place number 7, before names like Eric Lindros and Khabibulin (!). It's no proof or anything, just noting that the experts still seem to rank him high enough.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Did you read the write up about him?

It's not that the Rangers don't want the ageless one back to finish his stated goal of tucking into second place behind Wayne Gretzky as the league's all-time leading scorer. It's just that, well, he's old, he's expensive and there are just so many younger, talented players on the market, it doesn't make a whole lot a sense. It would be sad for hockey fans and for the NHL if Messier doesn't get a gig somewhere. It might not be New York, but the Edmonton Oilers would love to bring him home to finish his stellar career and to mentor their kids. Messier also has affection for Keenan and Keenan for him (they won a Cup together in New York), and, well, Florida is a tax-free state and close to Messier's offseason home in Hilton Head. Hey, it's not the Ritz, but then Messier has tasted glamour. All he needs now is a good supporting cast to see him through to the end.

Parts of it talk about how sad it would be for him to not get a gig somewhere.

Can't decide whether I'm sad that Nieuwendyk and Roberts signed with Florida.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Them and Philly.

I know the Flyers already bought out Amonte and Leclair.

I've heard rumors that Forsberg is trying to coordinate a package deal with him and Naslund.

Same goes with Scott Neidermeyer with his brother Rob. I guess they feel they won't get the money, so they might as well play with players they want to play with.

Philly signs Hatcher, Therien, and Rathje!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp...802_081921_6440

Man, that is going to be one big, nasty blueline.

EDIT:

I've heard rumors that Forsberg is trying to coordinate a package deal with him and Naslund.

Same goes with Scott Neidermeyer with his brother Rob.  I guess they feel they won't get the money, so they might as well play with players they want to play with.

I'm pretty sure Rob is still signed with the Ducks, so they only way they could play together is if Scott signs in Anaheim.

As for Naslund...people here (Vancouver) are starting to panic; Naslund is a crucial part of this team, and the captain to boot. But more and more the local sports stations are reporting he may choose to go elsewhere. It would devastate the team and the city, IMO.

As for Naslund...people here (Vancouver) are starting to panic; Naslund is a crucial part of this team, and the captain to boot. But more and more the local sports stations are reporting he may choose to go elsewhere. It would devastate the team and the city, IMO.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I mean, there have even been rumours that the Leafs will drop Sundin, the captain. I don't think a team lets the captain go that easily. Let's hope it's all speculation.

Something that worries me a lot more is that Toronto have lost a few players, but have only signed ONE (Jeff O'Neill) new player. What the hell are they thinking? Get rid of the old, expensive players already and go to the market and SHOP while it's still open! The free agent market is the best one EVER in the history of the NHL, and yet I don't see Toronto doing anything! It's frustrating to say the least. Apparently they did try to lure Forsberg to Toronto, but Forsberg declined, saying there's too much media attention around hockey in Toronto (Forsberg is the quiet type). Typical. The good defensemen are already being signed so Toronto better move fast. We could sure as hell use two top d-men, a solid second line center and a sniper. I could see Satan in Toronto.. Berard coming back (was he signed already?).. I'd love to see PJ Axelsson in Toronto too, preferrably together with Sundin on the first line. Axelsson is speedy, works hard in the defensive and is a puck winner. When he and Sundin played together in the Swedish National Team, it looked like magic.

According to TSN, P.J. Axelsson is still a restricted free agent. You're dead on about he and Sundin. I saw a few Boston games on the teevee in 03/04, and the guy is really gifted defensively, and a faceoff ace to boot.

And let Philly buy all the defensemen they want. Hatcher is a on rusty pins ( bad knees) to start with, and looking over their roster aside from Roenick there isn't really a lot going on in the front end. I'm more impressed with Chicago picking up Adrian Aucoin... :wub:

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Help help! I can't get my beloved Toronto to act! Today I've seen that Glenn Murray and Shawn McEachern have signed deals with the Bruins. Holik is an Atlanta Thrasher's boy now. Brian Boucher is close to a deal with LA Kings (not that I care). Bryan Berard is close to going to Columbus BJ with a possibility of LA Kings. Why not Toronto? Just because we gave up on the guy when he injured his eye? :thumbsup: I would really liked to have seen Demitra in Toronto, but he's signed with the LA Kings.

Guess we're getting Jason Allison instead :|

I've heard lots of rumors of Edmonton being very interested in Jason Allison.

Yes, but Toronto has the wealth of a million retired people behind their backs!

I think the Oilers should steer clear of Allison. He hasn't fully recovered from whiplash a few seasons ago. And it looks like Kevin Lowe is missing the boat if he doesn't sign Messier. Demitra is gone, and who's going to be left for our Oilers to sign? Joe thornton? You have a better chance of growing a windmill out of your ass. Go for the Moose and let the team bust loose.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Things are moving fast now!

Toronto gets Allison! Good news.

Modano is still talking to Dallas and Boston. We'll see which team he picks.

Khabibulin seems to be ending up in.. Chicago! Wierd.

"Right."

Right.

"Just because we gave up on the guy when he injured his eye?"

Exactly. Why would he want to return to a team who threw him in the trash when they thought he was useless? He should go to a team that will try to treat him with respect when he becomes a cripple again. ;)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.