Nintendo Profits Down 78.5%

Some would say the Gamecube has yet to get a proper Mario game in it's entire iteration.

It did get Mario Sunshine, which many felt wasn't a proper Mario title. We were promised Mario 128, which now is likely going to the Revolution rather than the Cube.

Still, Nintendo managed to do a profit, while Sony and Microsoft suffered losses in the 100 million-class.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

In the UK certain high street retailers have stopped selling Cubes for a while now and those that do, sell them very cheap (compared to its launch price, competition and conparative price of n64 during this stage of life cycle) If this is common in other countries then the profit report is hardly surprising. The GBA has probably reached saturation and reaching maturity.

If the Revolution fails then it would be time to worry. (no comment on PSP v DS as the former has not been released officially in Europe yet.)

Am I right in thinking that Nintendo is pretty much dependent on its games and consoles for survival, whereas Sony and Microsoft obviously have other parts to their business which they can use to prop up their struggling games arms? I guess Nintendo's competitors can take losses more easily if that's right.

I agree with Cewekeds, and like most people who don't really follow the console industry, I am at least aware that new consoles are about to be released. No-one wants to buy an old model just before it becomes obsolete.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

It would be nice if Nintendo would do what Sega did... and move into simply making games... They could also focus on supporting their handheld hardware, and just forget about the Console because it's pretty obvious that they just aren't getting it right anymore.

I would have loved to play some of the Nintendo's exclusive games... But I wasn't about to spend $150 dollars just to play Zelda and Metroids.

Imagine playing Zelda on your PS3 or Xbox 360... I think Nintendo would fair a lot better going that route.

I read an article in either newsweek or forbes or some such "reputible news sourse" that Microsoft expected to loose money on the XBOX because that's the way the stuff works. The first console you put out you will usually loose money on. the second you will have gains proportionate to the losses of the first console then things go up from there.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I would have thought that as Kotor 2 sold overwhelmingly on the X-Box, Microsoft fans would be the majority on this forum. :wub:

Most people on this forum (or atleast that post in this specific forum) seem to be the PC player.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Considering the apparent success of the DS, this is pretty surprising.  I am very worried that the Revolution is going to alienate even more people than the Gamecube.

The DS sold over a million units in europe and I think the numbers will be higher in japan and america.

The article does state the reason, Nintendo is not publishing many titles and console sales are declining (the DS launch come and gone as the GC is nearing its end of live) and unlike Sony and Microsoft that can hide under other operations Nintendo does games and gaming alone and even Sony (expecialy) and MS are showing large losses so it seen Nintendo is doing better that its competition.

I would not worry about Revolution doing worst that GameCube, I dont think that is even possible.

drakron.png

Considering the apparent success of the DS, this is pretty surprising.  I am very worried that the Revolution is going to alienate even more people than the Gamecube.

Why should anyone be excited about the Revolution?

Only one confirmed title in development, weak hardware and no features that really make me excited.

The only real announced feature I've heard is the ability to buy old Nintendo games, again. They keep retreating the same games. I imagine we will also see more N64 titles rereleased on the DS as well.

I'll pass.

I'm not sure, given the 'Cube was the least selling console of all time from what i've heard... I think they've finally learned from their mistakes based on what little I've read about the Rev. -_-

I'm not sure, given the 'Cube was the least selling console of all time from what i've heard... I think they've finally learned from their mistakes based on what little I've read about the Rev. :thumbsup:

Why do you say that?

They haven't announced titles for the Revolution. I feel the Cube has really suffered from the lack of titles and 3rd party development. That isn't fixed.

The Cube seemed to recycle alot of N64 games. The SNES reinvented many NES franchises, and on the N64 most of those franchises went 3D and were reinvented again. The Cube gave us N64 games with better graphics.

Compare F-Zero, Super Smash Brothers, and Mario Kart on both consoles and you'll see what I'm talking about. Sure the new versions had new content, but did we really need to pay $50 a pop, plus the cost of the console if the games didn't really feel next-gen?

Has Nintendo demonstrated that will change? No. They keep recycling NES and SNES titles on the GBA, and now they are recycling N64 titles on the DS. To top that if off, the only real announced feature of the Revolution is that I can buy old Nintendo games over again.

The actual strength of the console is supposed to be changing the way we play games. Except they can't tell us what this brilliant feature is.