Average FPS possible with this system?

I'm helping out a friend who's got problems with Kotor 2.

His system:

AMD XP 1800+

Sapphire Radeon 9800 pro

512 MB 333MHz Ram

7200 RPM HDD

He runs the game on 800x600 with every option OFF, no AA, no AF, low detail.

And he still only gets about 20 fps in the most simple of surroundings.

I want to help him tweak this by cleaning up his system and drivers, but I would like to have an idea of the amount of FPS attainable by his system.

This will give me something to work toward.

Does anybody have any idea of the general order of FPS this should give?

My system is only broadly comparible (AMD XP 2600, Nvidia FX5900XT, 1GB PC2700), but I would anticipate somewhere in the vicinity of 30-35 FPS with reasonable settings, dipping to low 20s in the busier areas (Dantooine Khoonda plains) or places with lots of smoke (Peragus Fuel Storage, Malachor). Smoke would certainly be a problem with your friends' system, as it involves the CPU heavily.

Have you seen this thread? That mod is good for an additional 10 FPS. Hmmm... I think the links in that post are dead now. OK, I'll add it as an attachment to this post.

texpacks.zip

"We were hoping we could bring the Xbox platform into December but didn't want to make the formal announcement until we knew an earlier ship date would not compromise the quality of The Sith Lords," says Producer Mike Gallo.

that 1800+ is killing him, his cpu wont be able to carry enough instructions out to keep up with his video card. w/o a doubt, that cpu is bottlenecking his system.

i have a 9800 pro 128mb r350 flashed to an XT, and I get like 24fps avg. (using fraps) with everything maxed out (1280x1024 res).

N

using fraps' benchmark feature and I ran around citadel station since my fps usually dips there due to close quarters and lots of things rendered in background. I averaged at around 28fps.

intel p4

512mb ram

ati radeon 9800 128mb

1280x960 resolution

textures high

2xAA 4xAF

soft shadows on

frame buffer effects on

using fraps' benchmark feature and I ran around citadel station since my fps usually dips there due to close quarters and lots of things rendered in background. I averaged at around 28fps.

intel p4

512mb ram

ati radeon 9800 128mb

1280x960 resolution

textures high

2xAA 4xAF

soft shadows on

frame buffer effects on

Soft Shadow ON!?

You realize that is murdering your performance. O_O

I would like to agree to the above post! very much!

I tested it out, and i only got 5fps difference, so i left shadows on, THEN i found out just how incredibly varied the difference is with soft shadows. On nar shadarr, it cut my performance in half, IN HALF! I mean, thats a smegging big difference! It helped me very much when searching for the all elisive frame-gain. I also found alot of the time i preferred the look with soft shadows off... but thats down to personal preferance.

either way, its just not worth it.

having soft shadows on is no big deal for me. I have no major slow downs anywhere else. I don't usually run fraps when I play, but my framerate looks and feels to be above or around 30 on average. plus it looks better to me than hard edged blocky shadows.

• 3 months later...
My friend has a:

P4 3.73 GHz

4GB 533 MHz Dual-Channeled RAM

2x BFG 256MB GeForce 7800GT in sLi mode.

He doesn't seem to ever get lagging problems with KOTOR, for some reason...

lol...I wonder why.... :ermm:

I want it, I want it!

Back to the original thing - a Radeon 9800 should still be fine. I agree that the AMD 1800 is killing your performance.

Edited by dufflover

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

My friend has a:

P4 3.73 GHz

4GB 533 MHz Dual-Channeled RAM

2x BFG 256MB GeForce 7800GT in sLi mode.

He doesn't seem to ever get lagging problems with KOTOR, for some reason...

He'd better not with that speed machine! (w00t) I'd be getting some company CEO's on the phone if I was. ;)

(Dual-Boot)Windows XP Pro (32 - Bit) SP3 & Windows Vista Ultimate (SP 1) 64 Bit | Intel Dual Core 2 Quad 6600 @ 2.4 Ghz | 8 GB Corsair DDR 3 Ram 1600 mhz | GeForce 9600 GT 512 MB PCI Express X 3 SLI enabled | NVidia Forceware Drivers 181.22| EVGA nForce 790I-SLI Ultra MOBO | Thermalake 850 Watt PWR |