Defensive build vs Offensive build

Guest The_lone_exile

Guest The_lone_exile

IMO a defensive character can have the advantage because most of the enemies in the game usually dont take more then 1 swing to kill and with all that defense u can stay in the agressive form all the time without worrying about being hit too much.

Guest The_lone_exile
In the end all enemies die in 1 or 2 blows anyway and have a attack of 50 so dispite all the defense you'll still get hit

Where did you get this info?

I'm for offense.

The quicker you can kill enemies, the less chance they have to hit you, and if you have enough money, and medpacks, you can survive some pretty tough opponents.

Though I do use plenty of stat boosting force powers.

Guest The_lone_exile

yea true, but towards the end with the rooms full of heavy blaster fire like on the ravager and the trayus academy a defensive build would do better i think, unless what battle wookie is saying is true about them having 50+ attack

If you're going defense, then for Darque's sake, don't equip robes. Go grab the heaviest armor you can find and then mod it with energy resistance, as you'll get hit when playing hard no matter what, really.

That said, there's no reason whatsoever to go defensive when it comes to feats et al.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

I'm always offensive because I don't micromanage enough to pull off every one of the boosters. besides Offensive power gives you an easier win.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Well, since it is depending on Exile PC Lvl and the roll (1-20) what the eventual attack is, it is hard to tell the exact power of these people.

But I do know my Heavy Defense Chars still got hit pretty often, which is no problem since you kill them fast enough..., with any build...

And Spam Force Storm, Wave, Crush or similar and it goes even faster.

I even beated Sion my totally first game by only using Force Crush. And trust me, due to low interaction and such, the guy was crappy...

Guest The_lone_exile

when going defensive using armor is a bad idea because it puts a cap on your dex bonus, which will be your life blood for the defensive build since your going to want to pump dex for the AC boost and ofcourse still use armor restricted force powers like master speed and the like

defensive build is even better if you're male and have handmaiden because of the battle precognitions. pump up your wis and dex and you'll have a nice defense, plus all the other defense adding goodies.

Yes. Towards the end of the game, your defense can get so high that you're hardly ever hit. However, for most of the game while you're at lower levels, I'd say offensive is better.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Depends on which difficulty level you play on. If I recall correctly it is very possible to get hit on a semi-regular basis with an AC of 40+ or so in the latter stages of the game on hard mode.

And dex bonus is highly overrated.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

Guest The_lone_exile

yea but im talking about normal difficulty with jedi watch man because of the good defense bonuses plus using master dueling

It doesn't really matter.

In the end all enemies die in 1 or 2 blows anyway and have a attack of 50 so dispite all the defense you'll still get hit

That gets my vote as well.

Anything to do with strategic advantages is really a moot point because of the lack of combat difficulty.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

This is one of the reasons that 20th level should be the max with the existing d20 structure.

Character development ends up focusing more on your stuff than Feats and Class. For example - the +3 bonus to AC and BAB for master duelling is relatively insignificant at 30+ level with some of the crazy equipment you find, where it still makes a pretty big difference at 15 with more moderate equipment.

For the defensive PC - max DEX (and WIS for male with Handmiaden's help), and use LSaber Finesse - you lose damage bonuses, but a well-upgraded LSaber will do ~20-60 damage anyway - with all the best possible items you end up with +24 to DEX - improving your BAB and AC. (For for the Male PC with Battle Precognition, +21 to WIS & +18 to DEX - for a whopping +40 to AC (including the Ossus Keeper Robe's +1), +21 to hit (including LS Name Crystal, but not upgrades), and +21 to FPower saves and difficulty.

<Max DEX: Quickness D-Package (requires 18 CON) +4, or Reaction System/Physical Boost System (requires 16 CON) +3 ... my choice would be to improve CON to 16, and go with the PBS (+2 STR, +3 DEX, +2 CON); Visor: Target Assessor/Combat Sensor: +2; Gloves: Improved Automation Gloves: +5; Belt: Aratech Echo Belt: +4; Robes: Sylvar's Robe/Makutai Adept Robe: +2, LS Crystals (Requires dual-use, as only the best crystal improves abilities in a LSaber): LS Name: +6 (DS Name: +5), Velmorite/Stygium/Ankarres: +1>

<Max DEX+WIS: Several CON 16 Implants can give +3 to DEX or WIS, Quickness and Universal D-Packages (CON 18) can give +4 - Universal is the way to go here (+2 to all abilities); Visor: Circlet of Saresh (LS): +5W/Force Focusing Visor: +4W, Gloves: IAG: +5D, Belt: AEB: +4D, Robes: Ossus Keeper Robe: +4W, LS Crystal: (LS: LS Name: +6D, +7W, Kaiburr: +3W, V/S/A: +1D)/(DS: DS Name: +5D, 2x Kaiburr: +3W (x2); V/S/A: +1D)>

For the offensive PC - max STR & heavy armor is the way to go - with all the best possible items you end up with +28 to STR (BAB and Damage), and +16 to AC.

<Max STR: Implant: Bakavar STR System (16 CON) +3 or Physical Boost D-Package (18 CON, but +3 to STR, DEX, and CON); Enhanced Shielding Visor: +3 to AC, Gloves: Dominator Gauntlets: +5; Ludo Kressh's Armband: +1 (DS Only); Belt: GNS STR Enhancer: +4, Armor: Corellian Powersuit: +2 STR, +10 AC, STR Underlay Mk V: +3, Heavy Bonded Plates Mk III: +3 AC, LS Crystal: (DS: DS Name: +7, Ankarres Sapphire: +2)/(LS: LS Name: +5, Ankarres: +2)>

However, while I love tinkering with stuff and min/max'ing - it turns the game into "how can I build the best character?" instead of - "what would my character do?" - granted some characters could be obsessed with being the best possible warrior, it's unlikely that a Jedi would do so.

I think this is way too general of a question. Can you attack at the same time? Can you kill in a single attack?

If speed renders your own defense obsolete by allowing you to destroy anything before it can threaten you, that definately tips the scales.

In most games however I tend towards defensive builds and prefer them.

I think this is way too general of a question.  Can you attack at the same time?  Can you kill in a single attack?

^ The reason I kept feats & dual wield (except for the extra bonus you can receive from having more LSaber crystals) out of the equation. Whether or not you go two-hand or duel, crit strike/flurry/power attack, single/dual/double LSaber, etc., ad nausem has been debated many times before. Also why I left class choice out of the equation. I mostly left DS/LS out - I find it interesting that the game actually favors LS powers (especially force enlightenment - speed, armor, and buffs in one simple cast - wow) for Jedi that primarily use LSaber (or other weapons) against enemies, and DS powers (storm for many, crush for one) for Jedi that primarily use force powers.