Star Wars books?

Okay not sure if this is a good place to ask about such things but I thought I'd give it a shot. I've never been a Star Wars fanatic. Sure I've liked the movies and really enjoyed the games but not really been a hardcore Star Wars fan. However the Kotor games have peaked my interest more and more into the whole Star Wars mythos, and I find myself increasingly intrigued to know more about the Star Wars universe.

So my question to any of you out there, is there any books specifically detailing this era of Star Wars histroy?

I ask as I do at some point wish to get a whole Star Wars collection of books... leading and probably surpassing the current movies... but I do wish to before that find out more about the past of it all, or more namely the times the Kotor games are set in.

I have done a few websearches for books, but not really found anything except the film books... now I do intend to read these at some point... I feel I already know that story and am mainly looking for books that fill in the gaps and pad out the universe.

Do any of you know of a good site for Star Wars books, and can maybe advise me what to look out for to begin my book collection, and my new ride into the Extended Star Wars Universe.

Thanks in advanced for any help you may provide.

• Like 1

The only material in this era (or thereabouts) are the old Tales of the Jedi comic series.

There are no actual books set in this era at present, however there will be one or two published in 2006.

The earliest the books go back is just before the events of Phantom Menace.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The only thing you could say is "tied" to the KotOR era of Star Wars are the various "Tales of the Jedi" comic books published by Dark Horse, which all take place some 40-50 years before KotOR1 (except the books dealing with Naga Sadow and the Sith Empire, which go back a thousand years before that).

None of them are particularly relevant to KotOR except as background, however. For example, you do hear of characters like Naga Sadow, Freedon Nadd, Ulic Qel-Droma, Exar Kun, and Vima Sunrider during the KotOR games, but you really don't need to explore them further unless you're interested in those characters.

Still, KotOR games are obviously inspired by those stories on many occasions. The Mandalorian assault on Dxun/Onderon mentioned in KotOR2, for example, takes place toward the end of the Sith War comic books... It's all way before the time of Revan and Malak, however, so it's not important.

Seems that Star Wars Tales (an comic book anthology of short stories) had a story about Visas Marr in issue 24 recently, though, but I haven't seen that.

Take a look around the site of Dark Horse comics if you're interested. You can find the info on the original Tales of the Jedi series that started it all here - don't mistake the "Knights of the Old Republic" TPB there for being related to the games, though - it's simply just a collection of the five comic books on the site, which they gave that title (and long before KotOR1 was made, which tells us where that title came from...)

the books primairly have to do with after the battle at endor. all the way to having luke be 50 and finially having a kid.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

the books primairly have to do with after the battle at endor. all the way to having luke be 50 and finially having a kid.

Even though Jedi aren't allowed to love.

Anyways, most of the modern books I see now deal with just before Ep 1 and between the 3 episodes.

The older ones are about post-ROTJ period

I haven't seen a single book about 4000 years before Phanton Menace, but most books aren't available here anyways :)

Actually the Jedi Code got thrown out the window at the end of the Clone Wars. Except for the most basic part. in the more recent novels Post-ROTJ Jedi can love Jedi can kill in offensive actions, non-Jedi are on the Jedi council and the Jedi are integrated into the government of the "Galactic Alliance". I guess the New Republic wasn't meant to be. I just find it really odd that Luke is having kids AT FIFTY!!!

And What Jediphile said is true. No books yet, but you can find old comic book collections, the have these

Tales of the Jedi: Knights of the old Republic

Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith

Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War

These go over the prelude and fighting of the Sith War, they do miss about 4 comics that were printed, these were in a series called the Freedon Nadd uprising.

The Hyperspace war is detailed in

Tales of the Jedi: Golden age of the Sith

Tales of the Jedi: The Fall of the Sith empire (I think, I don't actually have this one)

These go over the great hyperspace war where Naga Shadow tries to take over the republic but fails. All of these comics show parts of the Sith empire as it was, Ziost and Korribon being the most prevalent.

Anyway that's the five "books" based before the fall of the Old Republic and Palpitines Rise.

Okay thanks a lot for the info. I'm going to try track down the comics to begin with. Though being from the UK I may be in for a bit of a struggle... unless any of you know a worldwide seller?

Thanks again for all the info.

Actually the Jedi Code got thrown out the window at the end of the Clone Wars. Except for the most basic part. in the more recent novels Post-ROTJ Jedi can love Jedi can kill in offensive actions, non-Jedi are on the Jedi council and the Jedi are integrated into the government of the "Galactic Alliance". I guess the New Republic wasn't meant to be. I just find it really odd that Luke is having kids AT FIFTY!!!

And What Jediphile said is true. No books yet, but you can find old comic book collections, the have these

Tales of the Jedi: Knights of the old Republic

Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith

Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War

These go over the prelude and fighting of the Sith War, they do miss about 4 comics that were printed, these were in a series called the Freedon Nadd uprising.

The Hyperspace war is detailed in

Tales of the Jedi: Golden age of the Sith

Tales of the Jedi: The Fall of the Sith empire (I think, I don't actually have this one)

These go over the great hyperspace war where Naga Shadow tries to take over the republic but fails. All of these comics show parts of the Sith empire as it was, Ziost and Korribon being the most prevalent.

Anyway that's the five "books" based before the fall of the Old Republic and Palpitines Rise.

Minor addendum to the list:

Tales of the Jedi: Redemption

-perhaps the best of the bunch. An epilogue to the first three story collections.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Minor addendum to the list:

Tales of the Jedi: Redemption

-perhaps the best of the bunch. An epilogue to the first three story collections.

I like that one too (the art is great at times) and it's set rather closer to the KotOR era, though you won't notice that (just 25 years before the Mandalorian Wars). The problem with Redemption, however, is that it makes no difference - it's just an epilogue that ties up some things. That doesn't mean it's bad, in fact I find it's a very good story, but even so nothing happens in it that in any way has an effect on the KotOR games. So for reference material, you definitely want to go with the earlier books. You'll want to read it for closure to Ulic and Nomi and perhaps Vima, but it has no impact of relevance to KotOR.

I like that one too (the art is great at times) and it's set rather closer to the KotOR era, though you won't notice that (just 25 years before the Mandalorian Wars). The problem with Redemption, however, is that it makes no difference - it's just an epilogue that ties up some things. That doesn't mean it's bad, in fact I find it's a very good story, but even so nothing happens in it that in any way has an effect on the KotOR games. So for reference material, you definitely want to go with the earlier books. You'll want to read it for closure to Ulic and Nomi and perhaps Vima, but it has no impact of relevance to KotOR.

That's why I liked it best. It wasn't galaxy spanning or epic. It wasn't about saving the universe or about Jedi vs. Sith. It was the story of various Jedi (or ex-Jedi) dealing with their personal demons.

I would actually say it has some impact on the KotOR games. Not so much with the plot elements that you correctly suggest, but thematically. KotOR was about redemption. TSL was about the mentor-student relationships and the nature of the Force. TOJ: Redemption heavily deals with those issues, and I doubt that Ohlen, Gaider and Avellone didn't have that story in mind when they were writing their respective scripts.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

I like Knights of the Old Republic era Dark Horse comic books. Nomi Sunrider is one of my favorite Jedi from that time. We get to see how fallable the Jedi Knights are plus there are so many Jedi compared to the movies of Star Wars and beyond.

e... sry i can't believe I forgot redemption... And I'm guessing darkhorse doesn't produce these anymore, I havent seen them in stores for a long long time

I like Knights of the Old Republic era Dark Horse comic books. Nomi Sunrider is one of my favorite Jedi from that time. We get to see how fallable the Jedi Knights are plus there are so many Jedi compared to the movies of Star Wars and beyond.

The NJO books have quite a few Jedi (although not nearly as much as back then), but the authors did a pretty poor job of portraying them so they come across as kind of wimpy and wishy-washy.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

www.comics.org has an extensive (they claim "complete") list of all comic books ...

There are several online shops: www.milehighcomics.com (for example, I recommend doing a search - google, etc. for "Shop Comic Book" to find some options) lists all of these series, but as they are back issues, and Star Wars is a relatively hot commodity right now, they may be over-priced or out of stock, and as all sellers of back-issue comics cater to collectors, the price will be based on the condition of the comic - if you're just looking for the story, go with the lower price.

I stopped collecting comics about 15 years ago - and have no experience with shopping for comics online - and therefore cannot recommend or endorse any particular shop or database - these are the ones I found with a quick search.

• 8 years later...

Utterly shameless necroposting...but in the last 9 years, has there been anything worthwhile checking out that takes place in the KotOR era? I actually read Revan's novel - which was the most feces of anything Star Wars related I've ever read -and I've read an embarrassing amount of Star Wars garbage in my time.

Also saw that there was actually another KotOR comic series a few years back. Any good?

The specific ongoing KOTOR comic from Dark Horse was very well received in general. I only read one TPB but I enjoyed it quite a lot, a fair few characters from the game(s; as cameos mainly though, main characters were almost entirely original) and hints relating to them. They will be going out of print fairly soon, once the comic licence reverts to Marvel.

Apart from that... I recall something about there being more TOR novels apart from Revan, but from what I recall they made Revan look like Tolstoy.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 1

Hmm...I may have to check out the "new" KotOR comics. Though I prefer the Ulic Qel Droma era...

Also saw that there was a planned Nomi and Vima Sunrider novel that got canned. That's a shame; I would've read that.

• 3 weeks later...

So...I finally finished the KoTOR comic series. Pretty good. Centers around a good natured and earnest, but failing Padawan and his misadventures after he was framed for being a murderous sleeper Sith agent. In the SPECIAL System, the protagonist would have scored a 10 on luck with the Jinxed trait on character creation.

Any recommendations on Knight Errant (novel or comics)?