Spore

Pope

50 minute video? SO they already show you 1/10 of the game, huh?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Yes, it looks like the next very original and commercially unsucessful game.

...about just as successful as psychonauts was.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

50 minute video? SO they already show you 1/10 of the game, huh?

They could show you 100% of the game and it wouldn't matter.

It's a game like SimCity or whatever, where watching someone else progress through the game doesn't really spoil anything.

Besides, I doubt that 50 minutes would be 1/10th of the game anyways.

Have you actually read up on Spore at all?

Only know that you are supposed to be able to make custom...uhh...species(?) and watch them live out their existence or something like that. But games are getting shorter and shorter. And you're right. It won't matter. It will suck anyway.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I disagree with the game "sucking."

I think it will be like Sim City. A game that really, when you read up about it or explain it to someone, sounds like it is a stupid game, but has that hook and is just plain fun to play.

Only know that you are supposed to be able to make custom...uhh...species(?) and watch them live out their existence or something like that.  But games are getting shorter and shorter. And you're right. It won't matter. It will suck anyway.

If the game will suck I have no idea. But one of the reasons that games become shorter and shorter is the increase in graphics and sound quality, but since atleast the visuals of spore are suposed to be algorithmicaly generated by the game engine and not use as much prerendered models there is a pretty good chance that the game will not follow the current trend of shorter and shorter games.

I honestly don't think games have become shorter.

I can beat pretty much all of my Nintendo games in one sitting. Heck, I can beat a lot of them in under an hour.

My SNES games aren't much longer either. And I just played Ultima VII: The Black Gate, and it took me about 10-15 hours to beat.

I don't think games like Baldur's Gate were ever the norm. Those Gold Box games didn't seem particularly long either.

More like a Sim Life or something.

It's interesting because the game engine interpolates how a creature would move. The game starts out very focused, with you being a simple creature trying to survive...and once you "lay an egg" or something, you can evolve your creature. Eventually you can evolve them to the state of sentience, and all the design and animation is not done by a team of artists, but buy the game design itself.

Eventually you'll enter a more "civ" like nature of the game, and it seems that once the game is "done" you can always zoom out a bit more.

For instance, you start just in the water, but then you zoom out and include land. Then you start to create a culture with diplomacy and military and whatnot where you zoom out continent/planet wise. And once you've accomplished "enough," you can zoom out to the solar system, and colonize other planets and whatnot. Finally, you can zoom out to the galaxy view, and use your technology in a SETI radio wave style to find other intelligent life in the galaxy. Providing you have interstellar travel, you can then go and travel to them. Will Wright's demo did this, and it showed him having a blobular UFO type design (of his own custom design) heading to the new planet. He freaked them out and they fired at him, and he showed off a "War of the World" type scene where his technology was too powerful and he blasted the distant civilization with death beams as missiles bounced off of it.

The Sim City reference was more in the way the game "plays" so to speak. Describing Sim City doesn't exactly make it sound like a fun game (You just manage a city), and I think Spore is the same way (although I think Spore sounds like a lot of fun to play).

It's something you might enjoy along the lines of unit customization. You can customize your species just the way you want it, and how they progress. I believe his sentient species was a three legged creature of some sort.

Don't know alot about it, but here is some more info about it.

Even though it is a SP-game, the so called "Alien" civilisations are the creatures that other players have build.

It also include "feedback" options, so people might respond if your creatures are cool/stupid, and you actually get that info...

I honestly don't think games have become shorter.

I can beat pretty much all of my Nintendo games in one sitting.  Heck, I can beat a lot of them in under an hour.

My SNES games aren't much longer either.  And I just played Ultima VII: The Black Gate, and it took me about 10-15 hours to beat.

I don't think games like Baldur's Gate were ever the norm.  Those Gold Box games didn't seem particularly long either.

Ultima VII is designed to be non-linear and encourage lengthy exploration and immersion.

Fallout can be beat in something like 20 minutes if I recall.

I don't see how a reasoning gamer could not be excited about Spore.  :rolleyes:

It's quite easy not to be that excited, after all we don't really know what we're getting, yet. I can be excited about Civ4, because I loved Civ3. Yes, really. :- As for Spore, I'm waiting for the demo before I care. I'm glad that someone is trying to do something innovative, but these things can go so badly wrong.

Look at the success of the Sims.  Don't count this title out.  I suspect this title will suck in a bunch of otherwise non-gamers.

I don't think so, at least not as much as The Sims did. It's still a game with a fair amount of combat and conflict at certain stages (this is according to Wikipedia), and that's a huge turn-off to a lot of people. Plus it's not as intuitively comprehensible to non-gamers as a real-life simulator.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I don't think so, at least not as much as The Sims did.  It's still a game with a fair amount of combat and conflict at certain stages (this is according to Wikipedia), and that's a huge turn-off to a lot of people.  Plus it's not as intuitively comprehensible to non-gamers as a real-life simulator.

The Sims had a bit of a learning curve, especially when it came to design.

Spore looks to start extremely simple and progress from there.