KOTOR II Wins Best RPG of the Year at G-Phoria

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/28/news_6129907.html

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8843/Halo-2-...me-of-the-Year/

Obsidian Entertainment's Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords went up against Bioware

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

TSL deserves to win. Although I'm surprised Bioware didn't win...

Jade Empire wasn't that good. The biggest problem was that it was way too short. There are several others like lack of weapons, side quests, magic powers, long load times, lack of variety of enemies, lack of customization, everything was too simple, also I felt like the game was geared too much toward the masses...

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Isn't this their first award? As opposed to nomination, I mean. Congratulations, Obsidian! Now you can call it "The Award-Winning Knights of the Old Republic 2".

The subtitle of the General Discussion forum is "Discuss the sequel to the award-winning Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic here!", and now they can change that to "Discuss the award-winning sequel to Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic here!" :shifty:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

TSL deserves to win. Although I'm surprised Bioware didn't win...

Jade Empire wasn't that good. The biggest problem was that it was way too short. There are several others like lack of weapons, side quests, magic powers, long load times, lack of variety of enemies, lack of customization, everything was too simple, also I felt like the game was geared too much toward the masses...

Yes, Jade Empire is too short. Yes, there is a lack of all the things you've listed. And most certainly, Bioware did target this game for a more broad, mass market appeal. However, its execution was near flawless. It's easily the most polished, and bug-free rpg in recent memory. Most importanly, JE is a fun, fun game to play with an original and unique setting. It's got great characters, fantastic artwork, a more than serviceable plotline, and outstanding roleplaying elements.

So I disagree, JE is an exellent game.

That said, I would vote for K2 as rpg of the year, warts et al.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

While I'm happy for Obsidian, I'm sort of disappointed that they could win for an unfinished game... I mean, what signal does that send to the rest of the industry - it's okay to release horribly cut and unfinished games because they'll sell and get awards anyway? :thumbsup:

This isn't great, I agree. On balance, however, I prefer that Obsidian win awards, gain reputation points, and stay in business, thus ensuring the survival of a developer that is capable of producing great RPGs.

If Bloodlines had been an option, I probably would have voted for it. It's hard for any game set in the Star Wars universe to feel original, even if it is, whereas I was completely new to the Vampires setting and the game was just so refreshingly different.

It's a shame Troika folded. :thumbsup: I wonder what happened to its employees? Hey, maybe they went to programming school. :)

Yep, too bad how the RPG-way is going

3/5 titles you can vote for are totally unknown to me, and the other 2 had flaws...

But we must admit that dispite the cutting/pasting/torturing of Kotor2 it did had good gameplay, and showed that it was made with alot of skill, thus Obsidian did deserve to win it...

If it was only because of the lack of competition

Anyway, as it seems, it can only go better now with OE's games, so let's wait for NWN and PNJ, and see how the do it, and maybe raise the markets standerd if succesfull...

If Bloodlines had been an option, I probably would have voted for it.  It's hard for any game set in the Star Wars universe to feel original, even if it is, whereas I was completely new to the Vampires setting and the game was just so refreshingly different.

It's a shame Troika folded. :thumbsup:  I wonder what happened to its employees?  Hey, maybe they went to programming school. :)

I believe Vampire:Bloodlines already won RPG of the Year for 2004. Didn't it?

image002.gifLancer