Disciple, Influence and secrets...

So I am on my second play of KotOR II, and have gone for a female Dark Side character. I was male Light Side last time, so now I find I have Disciple in my party instead of Handmaiden.

He seems to have some sort of big secret he's keeping, though my influence with him is fairly bad so although I can ask why he looks familiar and what his issues with the Jedi are I don't get any answers... What I'd like to know is are his secrets something I will find out eventually, or only if I can influence him enough?

No actual spoilers, please. :(

The second point concerns my Influence... I have CHR 18 and Dark Side Mastery. Yet several NPCs seem to hop about the alignment scale from Light/Neutral to Dark and back, even when not in the party and I don't think my influence with them has changed. It's happened with Bao-Dur, Atton and Disciple. Is this a bug or just intentional behaviour I don't quite understand? I have the Sith Lord prestige class, but this happened before I was one too.

(Last time when I was Light Side I didn't experience these jumps in alignment, though I think most of the characters affected had Light Side tendencies anyhow. And I obviously didn't have Disciple.)

There are indeed things you can learn about Disciple by having good influence with him.

Mild spoiler (not advised for first playthrough)

There are some interesting effects of having a much higher influence with Disciple than with Atton.

The NPCs flitting back and forth between LS and DS is a bug, one which affects different computers in different ways and for which there's no simple solution. It doesn't seem to have much effect on gameplay, other than looking weird.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)