Stocking a kitchen?

Weiser_Cain

If you try to have everything you could possibly have, you'll run out of space. Better to think of the kind of food you like or might want to cook, and go from there.

Every kitchen needs a paella dish, however. :blink:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Are you talking about food or hardware?

Hardware: Saucepan/deep pot with lid, Knife, chopping board, some fridge/microwave tupperware stuff (storage + temp holding for cooking), stuff to eat from. Nonstick frying pan is a useful addition. I have a microwave rice cooker.

Food: Rice, salt/pepper, I use soy sauce, olive oil. Tomatoes/carrots last a long time (I've been eating 3-4 carrots/day for dinner). Once in awhile I have sliced cucumber in Korean pepper paste for quick salad/veg. Spaghetti's good too - lasts and the sauce can be quickly microwaved.

I usually have a tin of baked beans as emergency in case I have nothing else to eat. In my experience, cereal's better than tinned soup (bad experiences) for filling up.

Btw, remember to sharpen your knife often. I love using sharp knives.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

You need:

- A chopping block. Get a cheap wood one and burn it on the fire after it becomes grungy. Alternatively a wooden block can be scrubbed down with wire wool and used for grinding spices on.

- Get a SOFT STEEL chef's knife. It is better to sharpen a knife as you use it, and for it to always be sharp than to have a modern hard steel one that is great until goes blunt, whereupon it will take a Japanese swordmaster to re-sharpen it. Chinese stores sell soft steel knives. They're also much cheaper.

- Have a sack of rice handy. They don't cost much, and you'll never go completely hungry again. Also good if friends drop by.

- Have a cast iron skillet. Treat it well.

- Have a non-non-stick wok. Treat it badly.

- Do NOT buy a steak tenderiser. God gave you fists. Use them.

- A cheese grater. Also grates potato, carrot, and detainee faces. Sorry, did I say that out loud?

- Make contact with a good butcher. Supermarket meat is for fools. Your butcher, once secure, will cut meat to your specifications, will give you deals on cheap cuts like offal (which is often pretty tasty), and is less likely to have urinated on the produce than supermarket meat-packers.

- Flour. I cannot say enough good things about flour.

- Onions. Last for ever and go with anything.

- Tinned foods: Bully beef (also contains much fat and salt which are good IMO); tinned salmon (cheap quality protein and fish oils); SPAM (for comedy value only).

- A bottle of vodka, which you will place in the freezer.

- Three bottles of wine. One cooking red, one drinking red, and one pre-dinner white for the fridge.

- A bottle of bourbon, for when you have drinks after dinner.

EDIT: Also, possess one tin of goose fat, for use in special meals. Remove the label and replace with one saying "Whupass". Amuse yourself no end.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

- Get a SOFT STEEL chef's knife. It is better to sharpen a knife as you use it, and for it to always be sharp than to have a modern hard steel one that is great until goes blunt, whereupon it will take a Japanese swordmaster to re-sharpen it. Chinese stores sell soft steel knives. They're also much cheaper.

Just buy a good quality Chef's knife from a real quality manufacturer like Sabatier. Theyre insanely sharp and can be resharpened with a simple (one of those thingies that have a slit where you pull the knife and it gets sharpened) and it'll hold for half your life(comes with a 20-year warranty)

I use mine for everything from slicing bread to opening mail :D

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The one spice I always keep in my kitchen is something called "Italian Salad spice" which is some kind of spice mix that makes everything I cook taste good. I bet it could make dog poop taste good if I tried it.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

For those all-night gaming sessions, a coffee pot is a MUST (assuming you drink coffee).

If you can swing it, get a Bunn - makes a full pot of coffee in 3 minutes or less. Also, I highly recommend the kind that has a stainless steel carafe - keeps the coffee hot w/o a burner. Coffee stays hot for up to 6 hours, and the last cup tastes the same as the first!

I also love my George Forman grill - quick cooking time and easy to clean!

A barbeque cooking hob is good. Outside, in the garden, under a pergola or similar (pavilion, pagoda, hut, summer house, bandstand). Gas powered. Sunshine optional. (I have had many bbqs in the middle of the night, as long as the weather is clement.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

And whatever you do, dont get a bloody table grill. Its the most useless piece of hardware you could have in your kitchen. Its like two electric frying pans that come together so you can fry your pork chops on both sides at once, but you cant see what youre doing so its impossible to get a good surface. It hasnt got a damn thing to do with barbecuing in any case..

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I agree with Unicorn, Enoch, and Sevant of Eru.

Kaftan, you said "Just buy a good quality Chef's knife from a real quality manufacturer like Sabatier. Theyre insanely sharp and can be resharpened with a simple (one of those thingies that have a slit where you pull the knife and it gets sharpened) and it'll hold for half your life(comes with a 20-year warranty)"

I hope you're happy. You made me sob out loud. A good sized Sabatier will set you back 30 pounds. And while you can stop it being _blunt_ with one of those pull-through goodies, you can't make it sharp. And by sharp I mean, able to skin something, and slide through meat without exerting pressure. A properly sharp knife is actually fun to use. Not to mention that sharpening knives is therapeutic, particularly if you do it in the presence of subordinates. :)

I should point out that I use a Chinese machete shaped object that has been worn down quite a bit by sharpening. It cost me the equivalent of five pounds.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Then I suppose my pull-through thingie must be top notch cause the knife is sharp as ever :D and by sharp I mean I opened a pack of milk ninjah-style as late as this morning.

It didnt spill, no. I did splash out a small amount of apple juice concentrate when trying to repeat the procedure though, but that was caused by the incompetence of yours truly.

I did try to cut some salad with my sword a while ago and the knife was much much sharper... and handier.