Game Tester

ryan2489

I heard the pay isn't that good but it's a good college job.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Game testing, from what I've heard, is a pretty basic entry-level position. I can't think of any skills that you would specifically require to get the job, but you would certainly need an enthusiasm for gaming, as well as good communication skills and perseverance.

Communications skills are communications skills.

As long as you have some way to effectively communicate with the design team (whether it be with logs or reports or your savvy use of the verbal language), it's going to be useful.

There aren't really any specific QA skills that you can develop outside of a professional QA enviornment the way you can with Programming, Art or Design. Ultimately, most of the attributes that make a successful QA Tester are more general; some degree of technical proficiency is helpful in doing compatability testing, an eye for detail is hugely important, discipline and patience are crucial. Knowing how to be detail-oriented without spending too much time on any one task is key. Good communication skills are critical. This includes being able to describe problems and possible solutions clearly and concisely, being able to get along well with a team, etc. Tact and professionalism are huge; even though QA is often considered an entry level position, your feedback is going straight to producers/developers. A lack of professionalism is all too easy to detect in a QA tester. Self-motivation is key because you will stand out among other testers if you test parts of a game of your own volition, without a superior telling you to.

In terms of specific skills, learning how to use Microsoft Word well is always a good thing. Some database experience is helpful. Beyond that, just love games and have a critical eye for them.

I wouldn't be adverse to QA myself. Although I don't know if Bioware is hiring for QA (or even has QA).

If my friend gets hired, I'll have him put in a good word for me :D

Although by that time I'll hopefully be in my internship, so QA would not really be worth my time, and I'll be working in a more programming specific field.

Tervetuloa toveri Chapman.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Totally 

Ack. Some people get all the good jobs. Why isn't there a green with jealousy smilie?

I think people have a pretty rosy picture of what QA is in their minds. Don't get me wrong - I love working on games, and I love working at Obisidian. I enjoy QA Testing. But it's a lot more than just playing a game and giving your opinion on it. A lot of the time you're doing very mundane, repetitive stuff. Stuff like running through the same level over and over again, completing a checklist of every ability of every unit in an RTS, Checking the damage of every weapon in an FPS (over, and, over, and over again), running up against all the exterior walls of levels to find map holes and stuck spots, etc. etc. etc. There are fun times, too, and every once in a while you really get to sit back, get into your gamer mentality, and playtest. But (excuse the cliche) it's not all fun and games.

I still do feel lucky that I have this job, though. :D

Hahaha that'd be awesome!

BTW Nathaniel, you need to get someone to give you a more official rank. "Level 1" just doesn't cut it :D

I liked Sawyer's Obsidz VIP, but perhaps something else if you prefer? :(

Totally 

Ack. Some people get all the good jobs. Why isn't there a green with jealousy smilie?

I think people have a pretty rosy picture of what QA is in their minds. Don't get me wrong - I love working on games, and I love working at Obisidian. I enjoy QA Testing. But it's a lot more than just playing a game and giving your opinion on it. A lot of the time you're doing very mundane, repetitive stuff. Stuff like running through the same level over and over again, completing a checklist of every ability of every unit in an RTS, Checking the damage of every weapon in an FPS (over, and, over, and over again), running up against all the exterior walls of levels to find map holes and stuck spots, etc. etc. etc. There are fun times, too, and every once in a while you really get to sit back, get into your gamer mentality, and playtest. But (excuse the cliche) it's not all fun and games.

I still do feel lucky that I have this job, though. :D

Well, thats more than I thought was involved definitely. I guess its the start in the games industry that a QA position really represents that I am jealous of. :(

BTW Nathaniel, you need to get someone to give you a more official rank.  "Level 1" just doesn't cut it :D

Nah, it's cool. QA is like the "Level 1" of the Game industry. I only have 4 hit points and if I miss my saving throw on that sleep spell chances are I'll die >_<