In-game adverts

Well, it could work, if well implanted (Not jumps out and distracts, or is audiably annoying)

Let's take an example of some nice "good" commercial.

Imagine GTA4, sponsored.

You walk into the McDonalds, get yourself the BigMac menu, then sit on a table and eat it.

Your PC says something like: "Wow, this tastes like ****", then grabs his shotgun and kills all the employers and costumers inside the fast-food restaurant.

Then the PC promptly walks next door to the Burger King and you get the Thumbsup and a smile with the twinkle teeth. Or he does a happy gilmore style Subway commercial except he shoots the thing into the other guy's mouth

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The GTA Games are probably the only 'real life' franchise I don't want to see blemished with advertising. My reasoning is that the fake companies and movies are some of the things that have provided me the most, and the most lasting amusement.

I've had Vice City for a couple years now, but just today I've been playing it and noticing more fake companies that never cease to crack me up.

I liked Chapelles show's take on GTA they had a Toyrola

I would like it if they licensed some of the cars in GTA tho

As some have already stated, as long as it doesn't go against the setting (ie. having an ad for IKEA in a Star Wars game) then I actually think it's a neat idea.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

In Bloodlines I liked the, already mentioned, fake adverstising and products that ridiculed their real world counterparts, like Friggin' Chicken and C0ck Cola.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

In Bloodlines I liked the, already mentioned, fake adverstising and products that ridiculed their real world counterparts, like Friggin' Chicken and C0ck Cola.

That and the evening news and ads found in the game that mention goth bands.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

The evening news was fantastic, funny and really satisfying. There was a touch of the same idea in Kotor 2 with the screens on Onderon, but I'd like to see this incorporated into more games.

Any modern-setting game could quite easily incorporate ads as part of a radio stream. You would have to set it so that the player couldn't turn the radio off, though.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I could see having beer and liquor ads in the taverns - even if it were set in medieval times, I could see it. Maybe having the tavern decorated with brand mirrors, and signs that are magically enchanted so they light up like the familiar neon signs we have now?

It'd be really cool if they offered free samples for those of legal age! :wub:

I liked Chapelles show's take on GTA they had a Toyrola

I would like it if they licensed some of the cars in GTA tho

There's a mod for GTA: San Andreas that replaces all the fake names on the cars and replaces them with their real life counterparts (I'm assuming you've recognized the different car models already). I tried it, but it didn't give me as much satisfaction as I had hoped. In fact, it actually felt wrong and I removed the mod.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

... and chopped up the cable down which it loaded onto your pc, then burnt the harddrive it was saved to and hit your frontal lobe with a hammer until the memory of the event was blurred, drank a bottle of pure ethanol, and finally poked out both your eyes with a blunt spoon.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I've laughed at sombody trying to hunt and peck on a keyboard i had rearranged :lol:"

At least things like Sim City and Civ haven't gotten to the advert point yet.

Did The Sims (I mean EA) actually get paid for putting real brand names in, or were they just putting these things in to make the game more realistic? It never really occurred to me that it was advertising, which I suppose makes it a very effective form of advertising. :-:rolleyes:

They signed deals, though I believe most of the adverts didn't appear until expansion packs.  Hot Date allowed you to go download to McDonalds and stuff.

Yeah, that is really a hot date!

McDonalds is now so ubiquitous that it could probably appear in a D&D RPG and you wouldn't even notice. :rolleyes:

Fay Weldon, a fairly serious British novelist, accepted money to write a short book called The Bulgari Connection by the well-known jewellers who of course played a major part in the narrative. I don't think it's been repeated often, but this could easily transfer to games. General Motors could sponsor a driving game using only its cars. McDonalds will give us SimFastFoodRestaurantManager, or such like. The future is a scary place. :ph34r: