Total Annihilation

I'm rather curious as to your views on this old (but still highly playable!) strategy game.

Have you ever played it, and if so, how does it in your minds compare to newer strategy games such as Empire: Rise of the modern world, Warcraft III, C&C generals, and so forth?

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

Oh, I've played TA sure. It seemed to be an interesting game back then. Way more tactical than it's counterparts(like Dark Reing and AoE, for instance), but lacked some crome and pr to really be enormous success. I liked how overkill Cavedog made some of the units and structures. And there were quite a few good ideas wich are still lacking from new RTS's.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Oh, I've played TA sure. It seemed to be an interesting game back then. Way more tactical than it's counterparts(like Dark Reign and AoE, for instance), but lacked some crome and pr to really be enormous success. I liked how overkill Cavedog made some of the units and structures. And there were quite a few good ideas wich are still lacking from new RTS's.

Dark Reign was still much more enjoyable. At least to me. The first time I played Total Annihilation would have been the demo about the time it was released. It was okay and I thought it was pretty neat.

Got the full game as part of a box full of old games that one of my cousins bought my for christmas awhile back. I only played a couple missions, because it could hold my interest.

Oh, I've played TA sure. It seemed to be an interesting game back then. Way more tactical than it's counterparts(like Dark Reing and AoE, for instance), but lacked some crome and pr to really be enormous success. I liked how overkill Cavedog made some of the units and structures. And there were quite a few good ideas wich are still lacking from new RTS's.

Overkill indeed. A fleet of millenium-class cruisers was quite the nice sight, as I recall.

Oh, and AoE (and AoE II) totally, utterly sucked. Sure, I've had a lot of fun with it on quite a lot of LANs, but in the end, archer rushes became boring. There's no strategy at all in that game, really.

Reminds me of this weekend, actually. Me and a few friends got togheter, reinstalled TA, installed a mod that raised the unit limit to 5000, started a game of Seven Islands and then all hell broke loose. One of our naval skirmishes took ten minutes from start to finish, I think. Milleniums, warlords, crusaders, subs, sub hunters, torpedo bombers... we really threw everything at each other. The seabed was littered with shipwrecks afterwards, to say the least. Haven't had that much fun in quite a while, really.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

Reminds me of this weekend, actually. Me and a few friends got togheter, reinstalled TA, installed a mod that raised the unit limit to 5000, started a game of Seven Islands and then all hell broke loose. One of our naval skirmishes took ten minutes from start to finish, I think. Milleniums, warlords, crusaders, subs, sub hunters, torpedo bombers... we really threw everything at each other. The seabed was littered with shipwrecks afterwards, to say the least. Haven't had that much fun in quite a while, really.

A skirmish you say? :-"

A skirmish you say? :-"

Well, at least none of us had any tactical bombers left... :huh:

I absolutely loved AoE 2(and AoE to some extent), but it was mainly because of the historical apects of it. And music/overall feeling and atmosphere. Almost anything surpasses it on strategic gameplay level.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds