Free Games

I was hoping to find some free RPGs, but it seems most of the freeware are RPGs with zero to little graphics.

I'm not a graphics whore by any means, but I'd atleast like them to resemble those found in the IE games. :(

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Well, I have been playing System Shock 2 for the last hour or so and once I reached the actual game and got past the main medical room, I had 4 scares within 3 minutes. The first involved hearing a loud gun shot, while no one was around me. The second was when someone just started talking and I looked around and saw a "ghost." The third and fourth both involved my first experience with hybrids. I took the ghosts advice and went into the area he came from. Then I heard someone whispering, "Flesh...flesh...," which rather freaked me out. Again looking around, this deformed half-human thing with a large tube of flesh between his head and shoulder came out of a room and jumped at me. Of course, I prompty beat him to death with my all-powerful wrench. Then, I left the area for a moment to just recheck everything (I hadnt expected an attack so soon) when all the previous room had only dead bodies and maybe a box or two. I noticed a computer help poster on the wall I had missed before and clicked on it. While reading it, I again heard strange voices, basically to the effect of, "I see you...Im coming to eat you..." Naturally enough, I was again freaked out. I tried to exit the inventory screen quickly but by the time I did, the hybrid had reached me and was attacking. I tried to get my bearing but it was dark and I couldnt seem to find him. And so I died.

It is an impressive game that can amuse, entertain, scare and kill you within the first half-hour (the other half-hour was introduction and prologue).

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Guest Fishboot
I was hoping to find some free RPGs, but it seems most of the freeware are RPGs with zero to little graphics.

I'm not a graphics whore by any means, but I'd atleast like them to resemble those found in the IE games.  :lol:

Well, if nothing else games like Nethack, Moria (and its *band descendants), and ADoM are living pieces of RPG history, and you can enjoy them in the vein of RPG appreciation even if they aren't strictly your bag.

I play Nethack until I'm sick of it every few years and I try to win a few games of ADoM every few months, get enraged when my characters die and swear it off for another stretch. They're just distillations of good gameplay, in large part because they can't hide behind any other features.

I keep meaning to try this one, but I haven't had time/inclination...

http://www.knightonlineworld.com/

Maybe someone else can, or already has? Someone who doesn't hate this time of game by default, that is... :p

Also...

http://www.onrpg.com/mmorpg-free-games3.html

this site is pretty interesting to wade through - it's where i got the above link from. There are A LOT of games there, from terrible graphics to not too bad graphics, with user ratings and such. Some games listed are no longer free tho, and some are outdated (non-existant). But mostly, a fun browse.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If you don't mind a rather hokey interface, you can't get a much better storyline than Circuit's Edge. The author, George Alec Effinger went through some crazy stuff in his life, and as a consequence this grittier-than-a-grit-and-glasspaper-smoothie story hits hard. It's also a good detective plot, although strictly linear in progression. Solutions to problems require you to immerse yourslef in the world and the character. No obvious purple key to purple door rubbish.

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=200

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yep, it's the full monty. I think the movies are missing though unfortunately, although this doesn't affect the start of the game too badly since the intro movies aren't too great and most of the narrative is told through in-game radio messages and logs. I never quite finished SS2 so I haven't seen the end cinematic, anyone want to shed some light on the importance of the end movie?

Of course, if you're really desperate, you can always try the electronic mule.

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

The movies aren't missing, they're packed using |33+ warez methods, IIRC.

So, is there a way to get them to play while you're playing the game or do I have ot watch them separately?

I just downloaded it; the movies are packed and require DivX5+ codex, which (v.6) is a free download from divx.com.

Is System Shock worth playing first? (System Shock 2 looks and sounds awesome!)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I heard Wasteland is a freebie. Anyone know if it's true and where to get it?

You can download Wasteland at Underdogs as well, they have a host of old RPGs. Check the System Shock 2 link.

Also Enemy Territory is an excellent team based FPS that plays like a tug of war with teams trying to achieve objectives while the other team stops them. It's only a couple of years old, so it's not as antiquated as most other free games..

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif