star wars galaxies

ryan2489

Played Galaxies and wouldn't recommend it.

Anyways, what are your system-specs...

Except for the Hardware you need (obviously) internet, and pay a montly pay, either

1) By credit-card

2) By buying cards in the shop which give you another month of play (or more, depends on the price...)

I played for a couple months and got glowy and when I heard that it takes 6 months to a year to become a Jedi I said Hell no im not grinding one prof for that long. Most ppl buy that game to become Jedi. Instead they can buy KOTOR or KOTOR2 to become a Jedi. And the game got boring so thats why I quited.

I mastered Brawler,MarksMan,TKM,Fencer,Medic and Pistols.

I played on the Eclipse Sever before I quited the game. My SWG was Titosros.

y woudn't you recommend it besides paying for it every month?

It's supposed to be boring and repetitive. But I've never played it so I'm going by second hand information. Normally I'd form my own opinion, but this opinion seems to be widespread amongst gamers who share my taste in games so I tend to think it's an accurate assessment of how I'd feel about the game.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I found it boring and repetetive...

I've played it some while ago, before the "new" combat system was implented, so don't know if it turned better or worse (alot claim worse)

Basically to get anywhere you need to take a very long and boring hike. I had a delivery mission ones and walked 1.5 hours to another city, with the only action evading hostile enemies (too strong)... No fun, I can tell you that

During combat, you substain about 3 types of damage, all need to be healed. By NPC's is Far too expensive and with Real-Life persons a pain in the ass, if you manage to do it at all

If you are in a city with Humans, expect your chatbox to be spammed with messages, usually like "Upgrade xxx for xxx credits!!! Buy This! Buy That! Help me training! No fun either...

Combat itself is dumb. Maybe it even requires more strategy than KOTOR2, but I found it no fun at all. It is engage (KOTOR2), but obviously this is a weak attack. Luckily you get like 20 actions on screen to use, most all useless, and hard to find a usefull one to use in the combat

Leveling up is HORRIFYING. First you need to get the XP needed, then find a Human Player to train you in it. Pain in the *** stuff... or you pay Extremely Large amounts of cash by a NPC

The screen is cluttered with al kind of buttons, which 75% will never be used, either because it is not for your class, or you stopped out of boredom to find what the all mean (And then they usually have about 10 sub-options each)

Well, that was what I could remember. The Free Trial I played was removed after 3 days, so I could spend my time on something that games are supposed to be; fun...

It's a shame really. The premise had great potential, playing a character in a Star Wars galaxy with other players comprising all the sentients in that galaxy. Too bad it seems to have fallen short of the mark. <_<

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The major complaints I hear about the game is that it could use a lot more focus on PvE content, the UI is horrendous, and the one I hear most often is 'boring'. There was a new combat system put in, but I really don't know much about it. From what I understand, the game has improved quite a bit from when it launched.

If they are still offering a free trial of the game, I would recommend playing that first.

SWG=Grind

If you want to play an intelligent, deep, brilliant mmo you've got to try Eve:

http://www.eve-online.com/

It's a space sim that has great PvP, a comprehensive player economy and a supportive talented player community. It makes other mmos look tired and dull.

This is a mmo without grinding. I suggest you get the 2 wk free trial, learn the basics and then join a corp. You won't be disappointed. I just finished 6mths of obsessive playing and have only stopped because I coudn't continue to justify the time I wanted to put into it and did put into it.

Eve has only one server and they get over 10k playing on it, on a daily basis. Please don't even think about SWG, not when there is such a fantastic alternative.

"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing that is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

If you are in a city with Humans, expect your chatbox to be spammed with messages, usually like "Upgrade xxx for xxx credits!!! Buy This! Buy That! Help me training! No fun either...

If there is IM functionality, then it should be complete with all the features found in IM packages (buddy/block lists); in fact it should be better and have even more useful features, e.g. categories of people trying to talk to you, spam control, etc.

The screen is cluttered with al kind of buttons, which 75% will never be used, either because it is not for your class, or you stopped out of boredom to find what the all mean (And then they usually have about 10 sub-options each)

Of all the faults, this one is unforgivable.

A competent UI is essential, and the minimum standard that should be expected in any game.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Paying online is cost effective imo. As soon as you stop playing a mmo you stop paying. If a non mmo game cost $50-$90 and if you only play it for a mth then that to me is very expensive.There's many games that I have bought that only provided a couple of mths or less play for me. Some I stopped playing after less than a week - not very good value for me there.

With Eve for example, that same outlay would buy approx 6 mths of play, assuming I kept up the monthly payments. I think its time you reassessed your finances.

"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing that is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Tsk tsk tsk.  I thought we had taught you English? :p"

I think he is speaking the dialect known as 'teeth-spitting fury"

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Tried It, didn't like it because some of the less than scrupulous fighters would camp around the neewbie cities and just wipe out the newbs of the other team with a wave of their hand. It got to be very annoying. Especially when they would raid the camp and having sombody deathblow the person you killed....

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

There was a SWG topic on another message board and this image describes another problem nicely. The game was intending to make being a jedi risky in that jedi can be hunted down, but there are many problems with the whole thing.

Image doesn't work.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I'm guessing it's one of the pics of about a thousand jedi streaming into an imperial camp slaughtering everyone....

To think, this is supposed to be during the HEIGHT of the civil war. and there's more jedi than there are other people. :blink:

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

i was wondering if any of u who have played galaxies would recommend it. and if u need to purchase additional stuff to get it running on my computer.

I played at launch. I didn't renew. Thank God I didn't subscribe for 1 year.

A year or so later, I was convinced to play again. "Dude, they have swoop bikes now.. no more crazy hiking!" The fun lasted a day.

My Point: don't do crazy upgrades just for this game.

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE.