English Cricket

metadigital

First Ashes Test MATCH SUMMARY (DAY 4):

Australia 384 & 190 v England 155 & 180

Australia win by 239 runs

Full scorecard

Australia took five wickets in less than an hour to beat England by 239 runs on a rain-hit day four at Lord's.

After a five-hour rain delay, Glenn McGrath took 4-29, including two in three balls, when Geraint Jones and Ashley Giles were caught fending.

Kevin Pietersen became the third player to make a fifty in each innings on debut at Lord's, finishing 64 not out.

But McGrath completed victory by having Simon Jones caught at slip to trigger the Australian celebrations.

7bd3a3be.gif:thumbsup:0a1aa247.gif :'(

http://3dflags.com

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Hmmm, England got beat at cricket. What are the odds?

Once again, the sports journalists and commentators talked up our chances incessantly, just like they did before the rugby Lions tour to New Zealand, so once again the nation is shocked, surprised and dismayed that we've lost to the number one team in the world. :blink:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Now, now, England have won the ashes.  Last time was in 1986, I think. :)

well there was that '32-3 Bodyline series, where Douglas Jardine took the Ashes from the Australians by bowling Harold Larwood using "leg theory" at the them.

I think they might have won an Ashes or two in the meantime ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yet another "False Dawn" for English cricket - who would have thought it?

:lol:

However, while they may not win this time chances are McGrath and/or Warne will have retired by the next contest, plus a few of our batsmen who are a bit long in the tooth. England might have more of a chance then.

In the mean time long may the Aussie dominance last...from the Guardian:

Warne also had noisy support from his close-fielding convention, in whose presence Bell was made to feel a most unwelcome guest. The England batsman took his time between deliveries - the approved way to reduce heartrate and achieve inner calm these days - and ended up attaining a perfection of inertia. When the ball struck his pads, he looked up as though he could not believe the world contained such deceit and cruelty.

Ahh - poetry to my ears.

Having witnessed Warne bowl, and specifically seen him collude with the wicketkeeper (Ian Heally, at the time) to bamboozle the (Pakistani) top-order batsman over less than one over, I can honestly say he is not hyped up at all.

No wonder he has more wickets than anyone else ever: I'm betting he'll get his 600th wicket this series; probably even in the second test ...

Actually, the biggest problem with English cricket is the County system. It breeds mediocrity; you can see at once that Peitersen is not from the English County Cricket machine. More's the pity.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

What the heck is a test, anyway? Is it like one game, or the best of three games, or what? :huh:

Anyways, cheer up, unhappy English people. After all, it's not like cricket's a real sport, right? :-" :p

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

A test is a single match, usually lasting between three and five days.  A series usually consists of five tests.

Cricket is a real sport with clear, simple rules.  Unlike American Football. :huh:"

On the other hand, it's about as interesting as American Football. :-"

Seriously, though, what sort of sport takes five days to play? You'd think they were playing it by post!

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

A test is a single match, usually lasting between three and five days.  A series usually consists of five tests.

Cricket is a real sport with clear, simple rules.  Unlike American Football. :huh:"

What I like about US Football is that there must be a result, no matter what.

I recall that there is a clause, burried deep in the statistics after how many yards of territory gained versus lost, passes made and dropped, etc, etc ... eventually, after all the statistics that can be measured are calculated, and assuming there is still a tie, they toss a coin to determine the result.

No such thing as a draw.

:-

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

On the other hand, it's about as interesting as American Football.  :huh:"

Seriously, though, what sort of sport takes five days to play?  You'd think they were playing it by post!

It's a strategic game, as well as a tactical battle. Not everyone has the ability to concentrate for the lengths necessary to perform at the highest level in sport ... :-"

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

On the other hand, it's about as interesting as American Football.  :-"

Seriously, though, what sort of sport takes five days to play?  You'd think they were playing it by post!

It's a strategic game, as well as a tactical battle. Not everyone has the ability to concentrate for the lengths necessary to perform at the highest level in sport ... :p"

:huh:

It's still boring as hell. :p

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

It's still boring as hell. :huh:

My wife always thought it must be (she's from Germany) but after being forced to hang around me she's almost as much as an addict as I am now.

Simply put, Test cricket really is a "test" - of character, endurance and skill.

There are shorter versions ranging from one day's play to only a few hours now for those with limited concentration, but Test cricket is still the purest and for me, the most enjoyable, form.

Another great quote after last weekend's match:

"My prediction is 2-1 to England so I'm still on course for that"

David Graveney's optimism is still sky high despite England's first Test drubbing against Australia

What you damn foreigners haven't grasped, and we seem to have forgotten, is that Cricket is not a sport. :huh: It is a bunch of men standing in a field, on a sunny day, where their wives and families can't get at them. Then they go for beer and sandwiches.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Another great quote -this time from The Times:

Dear Australia,

Congratulations on winning the first Test match by 239 runs. You were great. We beg to remain, sirs, your humble servants,

The England cricket team.

On the other hand, it's about as interesting as American Football.  :o"

It's a strategic game, as well as a tactical battle. Not everyone has the ability to concentrate for the lengths necessary to perform at the highest level in sport ... :-"

:blink:

It's still boring as hell. :p

That's because the difference in skill level is so great. It's no fun watching Chelski FC play the East Bentley Thirds ... :unsure:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to England on coming back and wining the second test...albeit by a very slim margin.

Forget Shane Warne's absurd legspinners - ball of the match for England must be the one McGrath stepped on before it even started!

It was absolutely stunning - I was listening on the radio. It's such a classicly English thing to do, to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, that I had that familiar sinking feeling as Australia approached the winning total. And then the shock, and cheers. :D I don't think I really believed they had a chance to win the Ashes until then, and Australia are still the favourites, but who knows?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

That Flintoff is the player I most respect in the English team: not only is he a quality all-rounder, but he is a good sport (as well as being a tough competitor). For example, just after hitting Brett Lee on his glove with a short, fsat rising ball, he went over to see that he was okay.

Bring on game 3 in Manchester: Old Trafford starts Thursday!

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT