Pure Pazaak

OK I think I know what's happening. Probably just a bug using the K1 interface since I never tested it much.

Switch the K2 interface and see if that fixes it - besides, the K2 interface is so much better to begin with :thumbsup:

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

Ok in that case it probably isn't a program bug (as such from my fault anyway) but some Windows/VB quirk on some systems where the game window size is not matching the rest of the screen...for some reason :thumbsup:

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

• 1 month later...

Bug report: I played a +1T card on my score of 19, making it 20. My opponent played a blue +4 card on his score of 16, making it 20 as well. However, even though I played my tiebreaker card, the round was still returned as a tie.

Just something I noticed, if you'd like to check it out(and if you still check this forum, Dufflover).

Side note: Wonderfully written program! I really enjoy the game. :sorcerer:

EDIT: The same thing just happened when my opponent used a blue +1 card.

Edited by Aethan

OH. I just misunderstood how they work then... I got alot more pazaak experience out of this game than playing both KotOR's... Okay, sorry to bother you. Great game. I like the way the end of the campaign is handled. :)

I like the way the end of the campaign is handled. :)

Whoa wait wait...you've actually reached the end of the campaign?

That is first time I've read of anyone reaching the end :sweat: .

You're either very lucky, truly skillful (from what I've heard my AI was too good :) ), or just very very patient.

sigpic0yb.jpg

You're either very lucky, truly skillful (from what I've heard my AI was too good :p ), or just very very patient.

A little of the first, a little of the second, but ALOT of the third. It was all about watching my bets(I can get overzealous), gaining credits, and not moving on to the tougher opponents until I had the proper cards(and credits) to take them on.

Oh, and I love pazaak. :o

Don't get me wrong, though... that AI *is* vicious. :lol: I had to start over quite a few times.

Edited by Aethan

Good to see this thread is still active :D

I've been playing pure pazaak at work and I am getting really good at the pure pazaak version. I can beat deadeye duncan with 100% success in pure pazaak. Then I reinstalled Kotor 2 in anticipation of TSLRP and started playing against mebla dule in Telos.... and she was wiping the floor with me! Her luck seemed godly and mine seemed damned ;) Is there a fairly big difference between the pure pazaak and ingame ranomizer or AI? I was quite stunned , I thought I Was getting pretty good at it too :)

Good to see this thread is still active :D

I've been playing pure pazaak at work and I am getting really good at the pure pazaak version. I can beat deadeye duncan with 100% success in pure pazaak. Then I reinstalled Kotor 2 in anticipation of TSLRP and started playing against mebla dule in Telos.... and she was wiping the floor with me! Her luck seemed godly and mine seemed damned ;) Is there a fairly big difference between the pure pazaak and ingame ranomizer or AI? I was quite stunned , I thought I Was getting pretty good at it too :)

Oh no, that has the potential to start a big debate, and possibly a couple of conspiracy theories... KotOR's AI is not "supposed" to be biased/rigged toward the computer, but some people have alot of experiences in the game with Pazaak that would make it appear otherwise. Pure Pazaak, however, is guaranteed to have absolutely no bias of that sort.

Also, Deadeye Duncan is kind of a pushover. :p

In KotOR, if I couldn't beat someone in pazaak, I just waited until I bought some better cards and tried again. :brows: But if they're supposed to be equal and you can't beat the one in KotOR, call foul play!! :woot:

Edited by Aethan

• 2 months later...

Hey, I'm getting no buttons showing up on the deck screen like the other guy. Has anybody found a way around this? I've tried playing at different resolutions, running the EXE in compatibility modes....no luck. I'm stumped. I'm running XP....i'm also running two monitors, but I can't see how that would make a difference. I would love to play the game...but I can't actually get to the game play cause there are no buttons.

A quick easy fix to this would be to have each button that should be on the screen have a hot key attached to it so we could at least play the game and it would give time to find the true solution. Looks like a fun game though...i'm dying to try it!

• 3 weeks later...

*Sigh*

I'm probably going to be answered with sarcasm, but I feel that I just have to put in my perspective. I am shocked that the KOTOR pazaak is considered to have cheating AI while the Pure Pazaak AI to be fair. I found it to be the exact opposite. I consistently win at the KOTOR pazaak and when I lose, it is usually because of the occasional bad luck or stupid move.

On the other hand, Pure Pazaak has proven to be incredibly difficult. According to the original post, Deadeye Duncan is supposed to be impossible to lose to unless you're really lucky. Then I must be the luckiest man in the world because I'm losing to him constantly. What makes it even more jarring is the fact that he usually beats me without using more than two cards in his hand; sometimes none at all. How is it possible that he keeps getting 19 or 20 just by using the AI given cards? Of course, this ignores all of the other advantages he seems to consistently get such as lower number beginnings and, of course, minus cards.

At one point, I had thought that perhaps it was due to game mechanics and I decided to try playing like him. Should I be surprised when the decision backfired on me spectacularly?

Honestly, after all of that, it seems almost trivial how he spams minus cards on occasions.

Heh. I found the same thing personally. I could beat Duncan nine times out of ten, but anything beyond that was instant lose. I think as much as anything it had to do with what cards you have. It's easy to build a killer deck in KotOR, because you can do quests to earn cash to buy a good deck before you even begin.

*Sigh*

I'm probably going to be answered with sarcasm, but I feel that I just have to put in my perspective. I am shocked that the KOTOR pazaak is considered to have cheating AI while the Pure Pazaak AI to be fair. I found it to be the exact opposite. I consistently win at the KOTOR pazaak and when I lose, it is usually because of the occasional bad luck or stupid move.

haha, yeh I've had that feeling before.

For those interested at how card draws are done, it's pretty simple.

At the start of every set, the deck is reset to contain 40 cards (4 of each number). On each card draw, it chooses a number and subtracts it from the number remaining - that's it. No checks or anything to see what either player has ;)

btw I've had a few ideas PM'd to me over time and I do want to do them ... eventually, but way too busy with final year Uni to. But I'll list them anyway just so they're on record so I won't forget either if I ever get round to it o:) :

- Have the campaign credits based rather than wins based (i.e. clean-out the other player of credits)

- Hot keys assigned to menu buttons to at least let people with the button-bug above to reach the main game, where keyboard control already exists ... to some degree.

- (my own thing) Make a decent web page :lol:

Eh well, before I disappear back to work, thanks everyone who have, or still are, playing and hope you've enjoyed it. :)

sigpic0yb.jpg

Heh. I found the same thing personally. I could beat Duncan nine times out of ten, but anything beyond that was instant lose. I think as much as anything it had to do with what cards you have. It's easy to build a killer deck in KotOR, because you can do quests to earn cash to buy a good deck before you even begin.

I personally don't think it has much to do with the cards. I mean, if Duncan is beating me because he is using the minus cards, then yes, I would agree, but the problem is that he often beats me just by using the AI given cards (meaning he's constantly getting 19 or 20). Aside from that, I also win many games in KOTOR just by using the blue cards alone (though obviously not as often as with the red and inter-switchable cards), so I never think much about better cards.

Well, even if playing against the AI is a total waste, I recently played using LAN against someone else and it was great fun. Unfortunately, my opponent didn't know how to play very well.

A quick easy fix to this would be to have each button that should be on the screen have a hot key attached to it so we could at least play the game and it would give time to find the true solution. Looks like a fun game though...i'm dying to try it!
- Hot keys assigned to menu buttons to at least let people with the button-bug above to reach the main game, where keyboard control already exists ... to some degree.

Done ... I think. Keys have been mapped to buttons.

ENTER = Continue

1,2,3 = Deck, Buy, Sell mode change

Space = Trade

Just remember that sometimes the buttons are *supposed* to be invisible, e.g., no card trading in Arcade mode

1.2.4 Released:

- Fix: Assigned keys to menu and deck screens for a button-bug workaround. See forum post.

- Fix: Splash screen "tab order" (pressing tab now goes onto the correct next field)

- Fix: All the drop down boxes in the options screen now correctly make a clicky noise

- Other: Renamed "Normal" AI to "Pure Pazaak" just to avoid some potential confusion with "K2"

Note: You do NOT need to download this if you have no problem playing the game as it is.

Download link: http://files.filefront.com/Pure+Pazaak+v12...;/fileinfo.html

Also, at this very moment, I'm trying to improve the web page o:) (offline on my own comp). I haven't decided on a new design or anything so it'll probably look no different. Just that I'm implementing some of the stuff I've learnt since last update, like CSS, PHP, etc. Plus it "should", even with my n00b HTML skills, be much better than what FrontPage spits out.

btw, for those looking for a Pazaak game where you clear out the computer opponent and don't want to wait for me (especially if I never end up doing it :ermm: ), you can play his game here; a clone-of-a-clone you could say.

http://pazaakcantina.freeprojekt.org/

Edited by dufflover

sigpic0yb.jpg

The new website has finally gone live, up and running!

http://purepazaak.collateraldesign.co.uk/ :woot:

which is a godsend compared to the old site Frontpage job used for years:

http://purepazaak.collateraldesign.co.uk/old_site/ :o

The "inspiraton" for the design came from this picture I found while Googling :p

swkotor2200612301521493zj2.th.jpg

Ofcourse comments/suggestions/criticisms of the site welcome!

sigpic0yb.jpg

The dialog in that photo is too funny

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.