Pure Pazaak

Pure Pazaak is a standalone Pazaak clone I've made designed to be as close as possible to in-game KotOR Pazaak with some more flexibility and enhancements. People who have tried its predecessors Pazaak Arcade and Pazaak Online will know what it's like.

Main Features:

- Standalone:

Play Pazaak without having starting all of KotOR, or even needing it installed. A good "quick-start" alternative to, say, Solitaire.

- Human vs Human Network Play:

Probably the biggest starter reason for making Pazaak Online was to be able to play against a Human rather than a "cheating" computer. Ofcourse the computer apparently never cheated but at least now you can accuse your real-life opponent of cheating...

- More Flexible/Customizable, such as K1 or K2 appearance, turn mode or muting that "pling" turn/card sound (I personally leave it on :ermm:" )

- Non-cheating AI:

It's up to you whether you believe the Devs or not but I give you an iron-clad garuntee that there is no bias, cheating, peeking or rigged draws.

- A "different" opponent:

The Campaign starts off very easy with the very very easy Deadeye Duncan, but as you go through unlocked opponents will slowly have better decks; ranging from an even collection of starter cards all the way to Doubles, 1+-2's, 3&6 Inverters and Tie Breakers.

Most people hate Pazaak for various reasons.

If you hate it because the AI cheated and you lost so much; give this a go - Deadeye Duncan is unloseable (unless ur really unlucky)

If you thought it was boring and not worth the effort; play a game every once in a while. The game runs at a faster pace. You can even win sets without clicking the mouse!

You may or may not believe me here, but I am not a very big fan of Pazaak - the only time I play in KotOR is against Suvam Tan and the most of the K2 people on my first game (cos I look for free items). Anyway, the point here is that you might find this to be different, hopefully better but also perhaps worse. Give my AI a run-down and tell me what you think!

Quick Legal Mumbo Jumbo:

- All this stuff is copyright LucasArts, Bioware, Obsidian, (blah blah blah). My point is that although the logic, design, etc are all done by me, the pics, concept and stuff are from the game.

If you find a bug, have any comments or suggestions, feel free to post it here.

Edited by MasterRevan
  • Like 2

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

Nice work man!

I've just "replaced" soltaire with a new highly addictive game :- hehehe...

and I don't even have to load KotOR / TSL to play it... even better! :thumbsup:

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| My KotOR / TSL Mods | My WIP | USM Compatibility |

Having trouble with TSL's cheat console? Try the Hak Pad. Don't forget the Booster!

When I run it I get 'Runtime error 339  MSWINSCK.OCX or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid' :lol:

Any ideas?

There is a OCX file in the zip, extract it in the folder where you've put the exe of the game, if you don't have it, download the game again coze, sometimes, while downloading, strange things might happens ;)

Hail! Hail! dufflover :wub:

There is a OCX file in the zip, extract it in the folder where you've put the exe of the game, if you don't have it, download the game again coze, sometimes, while downloading, strange things might happens :blink:

I think I must be an idiot - I cannot see any file with .ocx. Do you mean inside the main download Pure_Pazaak_v100? Could you tell me the name of the file, please?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

There is a OCX file in the zip, extract it in the folder where you've put the exe of the game, if you don't have it, download the game again coze, sometimes, while downloading, strange things might happens :(

I think I must be an idiot - I cannot see any file with .ocx. Do you mean inside the main download Pure_Pazaak_v100? Could you tell me the name of the file, please?

Its in side the zip call Pure_Pazaak_v100, & the name of this file is MSWINSCK.OCX.

Here is a pic of it: MSWINSCK.OCX

Good Luck !

Nope, don't have it. It's not in the downloaded zip or in the extracted folder. Do I have some setting on my computer that's preventing me from seeing it? I went into the Folder Options and selected 'Show all files', but that didn't make any difference. And the link to your picture is broken as well. Maybe my computer is cursed. :ph34r:

Nope, don't have it.  It's not in the downloaded zip or in the extracted folder.  Do I have some setting on my computer that's preventing me from seeing it?  I went into the Folder Options and selected 'Show all files', but that didn't make any difference.  And the link to your picture is broken as well.  Maybe my computer is cursed. :ph34r:

Ok, i have downloaded the version on the website(i don't have the same version of you guys) & your right, the MSWINSCK.OCX(Winstock ActiveX Controle) file doesn't come with it. But, if you'd have look on the download page, where you've downloaded the game, you'd have found it under the name of Winstock ActiveX Controle, so download it & add it to your Pazaak folder, where the exe is.

Have Fun !

The game works great here however the graphics don't work. The cards are plain black rectangles with white lettering.  The backgrounds don't show at all.

Screenshots:

screenshot11zk.th.jpg

screenshot20fk.th.jpg

You will have to wait for dufflover to answer that one coze, i really don't know whats the trouble there.

Be patient, he always answers but i'm sure that right now, he's busy with all that.

Did you already pick a background in the options menu...?

Otherwise try to use the background from the other KOTOR

You mean did I choose the K1/K2 appearance from the options screen? If so yes. The game started in the K1 appearance with the problems I mentioned, so I switched it to the K2 interface hoping that would fix it. Same problems unfortunatly.

Darth_Polini: That was the plan. :lol:"

Hi everyone. Thanks for trying - sorry for the mess ups. I'll cover all the current issues all at once.

Be patient, he always answers but i'm sure that right now, he's busy with all that.

Actually I was sleeping (although I am busy cos Semester 2 Uni starts tomorrow). I uploaded the game at 1:30am...but yay! I'm awake again -_- ...

the MSWINSCK.OCX(Winstock ActiveX Controle) file doesn't come with it

I was going to include that with the ZIP file but took it out at the last minute since I wasn't sure if it was needed by everyone or not (and may cause conflicts), but I did add it to the support downloads section - doesn't seem to any harm in including it there - I'll add it to the ZIP file soon.

The game works great here however the graphics don't work. The cards are plain black rectangles with white lettering. The backgrounds don't show at all.

I know what has happened, but I don't know why :blink: .

At this stage I can think of two possibilities:

1. Your data file is corrupted (the .dat file) - try a redownload

2. Your system/OS or ... something, is not compatible with the way it loads graphics but again I have no reasons why.

I can sorta see that ur on WinXP, so unless the VB Run-times you have are corrupted, you SHOULDN'T need to get that (if they were corrupted it probably wouldn't run at all).

Send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send u this test project u can use (it will see if you can load graphics from the file in general) - this is a toughie...sorry :(

Just another little question.

Not that I have been able to use Network play, how would that work if;

1 player had K1 turn system

The other has K2 turn system

You're talking about the turn system (like who goes first and does it change):

Website: in Network play the option is forced (but won't overwrite your saved option) into K2 Alternating. And just incase you were talking about interface, it doesn't matter either - person using K1 Appearance can play with K2 appearance.

Nice to see no-one has tried K2 Interface + Network play on a 1024x768 screen.

Does anyone have a problem with all these questions going into the Help/FAQ page? Does anyone WANT their name after their questions on that page?

Thanks for playing and hope u have fun.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Thanks, it all works now.

I needed both the mswinsck.ocx file (to get it to run) and the comctl32.ocx file to make the graphics look OK. These are now both clearly signalled on your site, so you'll probably have fewer problem reports. :lol: Thanks again for your help, the game is good fun.

Hey dufflover!

Just wanted to drop you a note that I included your Pure Pazaak in the Weekly Mod Report over at StarWarsKnights.com :D

Although it's not "technically" a mod, I thought it was just way too good to pass over ;)

Keep up the great work!

EDIT: I should also mention the "benefits" from also posting mod releases at Holowan Laboratories... hehehe

CDRSeadog really helps us out and because of his hard work, we can get some massive exposure with the aid of the "big dogs":)

http://kotor.rpgdot.com/

http://www.rpgdot.com/

:D

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| My KotOR / TSL Mods | My WIP | USM Compatibility |

Having trouble with TSL's cheat console? Try the Hak Pad. Don't forget the Booster!

Hey I was wondering whats the longest streak anyone has had on pure pazaak. I find the computer very easy and I am currently 44-0. If anyone needs proof just let me know and I will get my digital camera out and take pics. I might be defeated by then though but will still have awesome stats.

In case anyone was wondering I updated the wins after so many matches.

Now I can get addicted to this minigame! Thanks!

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Version v1.0.1 is coming soon. There is still time (although perhaps not much, check post time but maybe a day or so) to make any last suggestions for the next version.

Here are some of the important changes:

- Sol'aa's deck is now fixed

- Added a special opponent at the end of the campaign

- Arcade now starts with 1/4 of your Arcade Highscore (a rather cheesy form of stockpiling credits so you don't chase massive scores starting from 100)

- AI*

- Modified Campaign Menu (same basic structure though)

here are some of the AI enhancements although it's still far from idiot-free and does some of this stuff poorly anyway:

- As said before, can now use K2 Gold Cards in general

- Can specifically look to play a Tie-Breaker

- Can try for a 9-card play/win, mainly with the 2&4 3&6 inverters.

- Will compromise carding to 19 rather than 20

Anyway, to people who read this thanks for staying interested. A couple of the changes above were from user input so if you have any suggestions please ask/discuss them!

BTW, Anybody having luck with having some Network matches. I play with my cousin every now and again.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Version v1.0.1 is coming soon. There is still time (although perhaps not much, check post time but maybe a day or so) to make any last suggestions for the next version.

Here are some of the important changes:

- Sol'aa's deck is now fixed

- Added a special opponent at the end of the campaign

- Arcade now starts with 1/4 of your Arcade Highscore (a rather cheesy form of stockpiling credits so you don't chase massive scores starting from 100)

- AI*

- Modified Campaign Menu (same basic structure though)

here are some of the AI enhancements although it's still far from idiot-free and does some of this stuff poorly anyway:

- As said before, can now use K2 Gold Cards in general

- Can specifically look to play a Tie-Breaker

- Can try for a 9-card play/win, mainly with the 2&4 3&6 inverters.

- Will compromise carding to 19 rather than 20

Anyway, to people who read this thanks for staying interested. A couple of the changes above were from user input so if you have any suggestions please ask/discuss them!

BTW, Anybody having luck with having some Network matches. I play with my cousin every now and again.

Great, an update is coming soon :wub: you know that i'm your biggest Fan Duff o:)