Obsidian Forums Diplomacy Game 3 (OBS-03)

If you get to the very end, it sums up the basic rules that all the examples are poorly trying to point out.

Most of it is basic sense. Armies can't go out in the ocean, etc. Superior forces take out weaker forces.

Each unit can basically Hold, Attack (this is the same as move), Support another unit, or Convoy. Only fleets convoy, and it means the fleet carries an army from one place to another.

Fleet X dislodges Army Y when supported by Fleet Z. An exception is during Equinox, when Army Y has cut support from the convoy of Gamma to Kappa, at which point armies are transmuted into pansies and do nothing, but only if given a convoying attack support order, if they are doing a hold convoy attack, or even the support convoy attack, on any day than Equinox (solistices are opposite, in virtually every way except for the similarities with Equinox) result in the dislogding of fleet kappa. But if there's an additional move from adjacent ttero.....ugh

And I mean I find Axis and Allies to be an excessively simple game.

I might understand it a bit better after a night's sleep.

EDIT: Also, I guess I'll find out if I'm a vengeful, spiteful SOB that, thanks to murder simulators, no longer can tell the difference between fantasy and reality...just a word of warning to those that plan on backstabbing me :thumbsup:

The point of the game is technically to control 18 supply centers, though arguably two or three nations could split up the map and declare a draw.

Well, the point of the game is actually to connive, cajole and co-opt eighteen Supply Centres on the world map. I found the on-line articles to be invaluable.

The way to play the game is to negotiate; there is no way to win by brute force in isolation from everyone else. All countries have advantages and disadvantages, the corner countries are easier to defend but they are almost impossible to win from (because bringing up reinforcements from home base gives too much warning to the opposition, who can block the advances); similarly, the central powers are the most difficult because they MUST form strong alliances to even survive the earliest stages.

Advice:

• Know the map. There are some very important choke points.
  • Have a plan. And the plan shouldn't just be attack everyone, or even lie to everyone. If no-one believes what you say, then you can't convince / manipulate / bribe / whatever them.
  • Talk to everyone: my enemy's enemy is my friend.

Basically it is a game of persuassion (and that includes deception); it is a stud poker game (i.e. with most of one's cards face up).

"Gunboat" games, i.e. race for the flag, aren't anywhere near as interesting.

:thumbsup:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Reveilled, jaguars, Meta, Servant of Eru and myself make up the current player roster.  All of us are here reguarly, and I don't see any problem getting in touch with players, or getting orders in on time with this group, which makes me quite happy.

I'm really hoping we can get back to 7 players.  I know Darque has been interested on and off.  Maybe a vet like Kaftan can join so he can get revenge on Jags and I.  Alanschu is also becoming one of the most regular forum-rats here.

If we can get some players like Darque, Kaftan or Alanschu in the game, I think we've have a very active and interesting game going here.

I was always a regular. I was, I am, I will be.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to play this game, so in all likelihood I'll be one of the first to be hammered into submission.

Well, we still require another player. Ill ask if anyone wants to join in the other Diplomacy threads, but barring that, we might have to play a 6 player variant, though I would prefer not to do so.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Sorry, been a little busy. (System Shock 2 calls to me...) Anyway, we still have only 6 players. So far my attempts to locate the final member have been met with failure.

I find it kind of sad

Ultimately, it is up to the players, though I'd recommend starting with a weekly schedule (Spring and Fall each equal 1 week, with Winter being the weekend after Fall). This will allow newer players to adjust to the rules, and nurture more diplomacy. If the players later decide to speed up, then so be it.

I find it kind of sad

Well, we finally have seven players. These being:

Reveilled

Jaguars4ever

Metadigital

Enderwiggin

Alanschu

ServantofEru

Skynet

Just to make things fair for everyone, I will ask you to again submit a list of country preferences. Sorry for anyone it may inconvenience. These will be due by tomorrow at 1600 UTC, so that we may start the same day. Assuming we do, the deadline for Spring 1901 is next Monday at 1200 UTC.

I find it kind of sad

I have a confession to make. I asked for your preferences for two reason: 1) I wanted to give Alanschu a chance to submit a list and 2) I had accidentally deleted two lists. Unfortunately, only one of these problems (the second) was resolved. I have still not received a list from Alanschu. And so not as to penalize the other players, Alanschu will receive whatever country is not chosen.

Therefore, our players are:

Jaguars4ever - Russia

ServantofEru - England

Metadigital - Italy

Reveilled - France

Enderwiggin - Germany

Skynet - Turkey

Alanschu - Austria-Hungary

As mentioned in my prior post, the first season has begun. Get going! You have until Monday August 15 at 1200 UTC.

Please direct any official correspondence to my email address which can be found in the first post. Also, make sure to write Diplomacy OBS-03 as the subject.

You are also free to contact me through PM should you have a problem.

I find it kind of sad