What politicians and the media lied to us? :o

Great read. He's got his eye on the choir, of course.

A couple of things, though:

those metal detectors were installed in many schools while crime was enjoying a slight resurrgence in the mid to late 80's. Maybe those metal detectors he cites actually did help reduce crime. More people are in prison. Maybe laws such as 3 strikes really do help. This whole area, at the end of the article, was shaky ground from the very beginning. He should have kept discipline and stuck with the video game theme.

Second of all, fear sells, including the fear Michael Moore pedals. I'm not making this a Michael Moore debate, but I think we live in a pretty damned good society with a pretty good bunch of people. Crime is not on the rise and we've managed to go through some rough times together without falling apart. The kids I know are a great bunch. Not perfect, mind you, but I'm happy to know most of them.

I'm glad you shared this article. It was a breath of fresh air.

EDIT: Thanks for the catch, alan. I meant that crime is still declining. I can see where that sentence, when taken with the whole post, might be a bit confusing. hahahaha

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

This whole area, at the end of the article, was shaky ground from the very beginning. He should have kept discipline and stuck with the video game theme.

Errr, where did he deviate from it? I guess he made the movie analogy, but it was an analogy to video games.

Crime is on the rise

According to who? Even the links to the US Department of Justice indicated crime was dropping. Unfortunately they only go to 2003, so where can I find information that says otherwise?

Sorry, I meant to right "crime is on the decline." My understanding is that the crime rate went down yet again last year. Late night responses, you know.

At the end of the article, he delved into metal detectors at schools and students' civil rights. I thought that part of the article only detracted from the point about video games.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Talikng Point

Are the kids all right after all?

You're hanging around your homies at the crossroads when you spot a plain-clothes nark. Do you: (a) pull your baseball cap down over your eyes and your hoodie up over it, and try to mooch off down an alley, or (b) hijack that suburban car waiting at the lights with a "Baby on Board" sign to make a rubber-burning getaway?

Whatever

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT