What's with Timestop

Over in the NWN2 fora, there's yet another argument revolving around the Timestop spell. When Bioware brought it into BG2, I know some folks were angry. It's been a source of angst and ire since the day NWN hit the shelves. Now folks want it modified or outright banned. What's wrong with the spell?

In a PW or multiplayer game, it's easy to set the preference as the administrator. In a single player game, it's up to the player to use it or not as he sees fit. Usually, in my PnP games, the players never really get to high enough levels to cast 9th level spells. The players almost always retire characters before they become that powerful. NPCs have it as an option, but I don't hear folks complaining because Timestop is available to the bad guys. Mostly, the grief centers on the spell being available to players.

Please, enlighten me, but what's the big deal?

It's a powerful spell, to be sure, but it isn't the only spell at a wizard's disposal. Timestop is just part of a robust spell list for a high level wizard. It doesn't seem any more powerful than the Wish spell, which was also available in BG:ToB, if not BG2 itself.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

You feelthy mages can have as many spells as you like, so long as I get to keep this here shank of foot long cold steel. ...And you still need to sleep.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Pfffft.

*backstab*

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Bah, no use arguing.

As much as I love a tank, there's no stopping a high level wizard. All he needs to do is toss up a few mirror images and stoneskin, and by the time you finally hack your way through all that, he's already petrified you, or wilted you (Horrid Wilting) or just out right finger of death'd you.

Unless you're a rogue and the spell dolt never even sees you.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Unless you're a rogue and the spell dolt never even sees you.

Shadowdancers- "You never see us until it's to late" :ph34r:

I'm not sure if this is true and I can't remember where I heard it but supposedly there was either a high level fighter/mage or a fighter with a Timestop scroll, who would cast the spell then calmly walk up to his intended victim and proceed to beat seven shades of sh*t out of them. Again, not sure if this is true.

Well I always found that in TOB, you started every fight with a time stop, and then you threw out a bunch of skulls traps and horrid wiltings, which are all free spells at this point. After the time stop expired you had about half the enemies and the enemies you did have left were at half strength. Now compare this to a party without a mage or a non wizard class in NWN. He doesn

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Back in AD&D 2 there were consequences to high level spells, like ageing. Cast enough level Nine spells, and your already-wizened mage would be borderline Lich. Cast a couple of Wish spells, and the arcane one will need one to keep playing ... as a Lich.

It's amazing how a player will limit the use of a spell if, in taking advantage of its incredible benefits, the penalties are equally steep.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Aging was a great idea. Too bad it can't be properly implemented in to a crpg.

kirottu said:

Why not?

:thumbsup:

Age-related attributes might well be affected, if not actual imminent death! Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, even arguably Intelligence all decrease with age. Wisdom might increase, Charisma perhaps and maybe not.

Certainly Constitution and HP should start to decrease, the older a character becomes, with a random senility risk, too.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Aging was a great idea. Too bad it can't be properly implemented in to a crpg.

...aging can't, but losing a percentage of your HP permanently can, and should be implemented... :thumbsup:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Sargy is on to something here :thumbsup:

kirottu said:

:D

Not at all. I just wanted to see your reaction.

kirottu said:

You feelthy mages can have as many spells as you like, so long as I get to keep this here shank of foot long cold steel. ...And you still need to sleep.

I take it you unfamiliar with lichdom and contingency spells?

Not really. What i am familiar with is a potion or two that can keep such shenanigans off me, some potions of speed, and some really fast work with a short sword. Failing that, I've found that sudden brutal attack works OK.

Leeeeeeroy!

EDIT: important info. This was as a wizard slayer, so every hit, regardless of damage lowers magic resistance, and ups spell failure. I hated being a wizard slayer to start with, but came to love it.

FURTHER EDIT: One reason I liked it was because of the mental image this provoked.

*Mage begins dread incantations, surrounded by impervious shimmer*

*Silence, the wizard slayer starts goosing him, goading miniature giant space hamsters into cracks in his armour, and generally making fun. The mage becomes o irate he cannot speak. Every time he opens his mouth, Silence puts something in there, like an old sock.*

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Leeeeeeroy!

I think we have a new analogy.

To do a Leroy

n.,

pl. To do Leroys; Careful, he ~s without warning all the time.

To purposefully screw up a plan by running headlong into a precarious and overwelmingly dangerous situation.

Also, Leroy, one who acts in such a way.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Eh, I'm sorry if I somehow offended you meta. That wasn't the intention.

kirottu said:

Time Stop is impossible to be on a online game, even if the 3rd ed changed "stop time" to "moving really fast" it does not alter the fact its not meant for online play ... lets see how "D&D online" deals with such a spell.

And yes, Time Stop became a opening spell for high level players but at that play level things are out of wack anyway, remenber that the wizard "sucked" at low levels so he can shine at high levels.

drakron.png

Timestop rules. What better way to hack your enemy to death than have them stuck there, not able to do anything about it as you chop away.  :thumbsup:

...Time Stop has always been pathetic cheese fer spell-slingers...Epic Level Pally's, Barby's, Clerics, an' other Epic Level mages should be immune ta it... <_<

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Just don't be seen. Poison the bastards beard wash.

kirottu said: