Should Lightsabre colour crystals give bonuses?

As the title says. I was thinking about this, and really with the colour of your lightsabre, the only thing it changes is how your sabre looks to you - no-one else seems to care, and they really don't do anything. So, I though there could be bonuses like

Green (Jedi Consular) = Wisdom/Willpower

Blue (Jedi Guardian) = Constitution/Fortitude

Yellow (Jedi Sentinal) = Intelligence/Skills

Red (Sith) = Strength/Attack

Purple (Just plain cool) = Dexterity/Reflex

as for the other colours, I really don't know. They don't do much for me and didn't even exist in KotOR (like Orange, Silver etc).

Thoughts?

TSLRP Closed Beta Tester

The idea is alright but I that'd be trying *too hard* to make everything have some sort of signifance.

I'm not sure if this is a good example, but think about in K!, that guy on Tatooine who asks for your autoprint from Swoop Racing.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

Well, I guess customizable lightsaber hilts is a better idea for this kind of thing. We have the Mantle of the force and the Heart of the guardian in Kotor I giving bonuses.

For Kotor II: The sabers are allready very powerful.

Master Vandar lives!

Perhaps the colour of your underwear should also give bonuses?

I felt Kotor 2 had too many bonuses, but I kind of appreciate why it worked out like that. They were trying to cater to two different kinds of player - those who love to fiddle and break down components, and those who just want to get on with the game. That's why the items you construct and the robes you modify give massive bonuses, but the combat is easy enough that you don't really need them. I like easy combat, because it doesn't get in the way of the story.

I hope Kotor 3 simplifies it again. Perhaps if colour crystals give bonuses we could get rid of the lenses and things.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

But then you'll get the babies that disagree with some sort of interpretation, about how Luke used a green saber but was probably more Guardian than anything else. And you'd also get lightsiders using Red Crystals just because it gives them more strength.

Nice sounding idea, but I'd prefer not. I like having at least one 'item' that's purely a choice of aesthetics instead of function.

Like picking the color of paint for your car. It's a personality thing, or something.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The colour crystals should not have bonuses IMO. They're there so we can choose whichever colour we want. If bonuses were added we might force ourselves to choose a crystal because it helped boost the certain aspects of our character. I'd prefer to choose a colour I like rather than have to worry about how it will affect my character's stats.

Not a bad idea, really. If KotOR games are going to enforce the idea of specific lightsaber colors being more or less tied to specific classes (green for consular, blue for guardian, red for Sith, etc.), and I think it's safe to say that it will, then it would be better to establish a reason why a certain group always seems to favor one color lightsaber over another.

It makes more sense than the idea that you can always tell a jedi by his lightsaber color, which makes no sense and is just stupid.

You'd have to be careful what you choose, though. I cannot assign a bonus to red sabers that jedi migth like, for example, because that would just prompt jedi to use red sabers as well, and we know that they don't. Green crystals should also give bonus to something relevant to Luke Skywalker, since the saber he made himself was green.

I also think it is a good idea, but maybe if it were to reflect your alignment instead? This may sound confusing, but what if you had green or blue coloured saber, then you would get a couple more force points, or extra power on your LS force powers, and vice versa with a red blade and being DS.

But i do also think there is too many bonuses already, this would be a tad OTT.

Not a bad idea, really. If KotOR games are going to enforce the idea of specific lightsaber colors being more or less tied to specific classes (green for consular, blue for guardian, red for Sith, etc.), and I think it's safe to say that it will, then it would be better to establish a reason why a certain group always seems to favor one color lightsaber over another.

How about just no classes? See "KOTOR2" topic here in General

It makes more sense than the idea that you can always tell a jedi by his lightsaber color, which makes no sense and is just stupid.

They only say that in 1, and since all Jedi (exceot from Exile) are gone in 2, that wouldn't count anymore anyways in 3

You'd have to be careful what you choose, though. I cannot assign a bonus to red sabers that jedi migth like, for example, because that would just prompt jedi to use red sabers as well, and we know that they don't. Green crystals should also give bonus to something relevant to Luke Skywalker, since the saber he made himself was green.

Yeah, here is the basic hard part. Now you choose the color you like. But what if that color got itself a wrong bonus? Like said silver/viridian blades look VERY nice, but if they are way underpowered, that will cause me to look less of a possible KOTOR3..., as I rather want these than a boring blue/green/yellow/red

I also think it is a good idea, but maybe if it were to reflect your alignment instead? This may sound confusing, but what if you had green or blue coloured saber, then you would get a couple more force points, or extra power on your LS force powers, and vice versa with a red blade and being DS.

That would probably cause me to be DS all-times (not that I am not usually DS anyways)... Especially if Bronze/Silver/Viridian/Orange also count in here (maybe Black, White? whisfull thinking  :- ) And also reduces players color palet. Wasn't it fun running around LS with a red saber???

But i do also think there is too many bonuses already, this would be a tad OTT

Yep...

If you wanted to restrict the colour to the appropriate class, it'd make more sense to just say "Consular Only" in the item description for a green crystal.

In any case I think it's silly. Colour is colour. There's no indication that colour conveyed any sort of difference in the movies, or any thing of the like.

In any case I think it's silly.  Colour is colour.  There's no indication that colour conveyed any sort of difference in the movies, or any thing of the like.

Exactly. In fact, I read somewhere that the red crystals were in fact just blue or green crystals that were dyed. ('course, I don't know exactly how canon my source was, and I can't even remember the site I saw that on, but it seemed legit enough at the time.)

Please review my fanfic!

Atton's Redemption

Atton's Motivation July 30: CHAPTER 26 is up!

--------------

DISCLAIMER: These posts may contain humour. No warranties as to the gelogenic qualities, either expressed or implied, are undertaken by the undersigned. All rights reserved. This does not affect your IQ. Any issues, see your psychologist or increase your dosage. --Metadigital

In any case I think it's silly.  Colour is colour.  There's no indication that colour conveyed any sort of difference in the movies, or any thing of the like.

Exactly. In fact, I read somewhere that the red crystals were in fact just blue or green crystals that were dyed. ('course, I don't know exactly how canon my source was, and I can't even remember the site I saw that on, but it seemed legit enough at the time.)

Interesting... What's with DS people's obsession with red then? It reminds them of blood? Communism? Boston(just kidding :)" )?

Interesting... What's with DS people's obsession with red then? It reminds them of blood? Communism? Boston(just kidding  :)" )?

*shrug*

I dunno... why do goths only wear black?

Please review my fanfic!

Atton's Redemption

--------------

DISCLAIMER: These posts may contain humour. No warranties as to the gelogenic qualities, either expressed or implied, are undertaken by the undersigned. All rights reserved. This does not affect your IQ. Any issues, see your psychologist or increase your dosage. --Metadigital

I'm guessing Sith use Red because it reflects their power base - rage, aggression. Same thing for the Jedi (blue) because it reflects clamness, clear thinking etc. After all, thats why the Dark Side is represented by Red and the Light Side is represented by Blue.

As for the colour bonuses, I actually liked KotOR1 linking colours with certain classes - i'd never thought about that before, so I figured there could be bonuses which would aid the Jedi/Sith that would normally carry that coloured sabre. As for the size of the bonus, that of course would be up to the exceptionally talented people at Obsidian :)

TSLRP Closed Beta Tester

Depending on whose interpretation you believe, it was stated that the Sith use synthetic red crystals as their color crystal, and that during the forging of this crystal, they focus their hate and dark side power into the crystal creation, resulting in a slightly more powerful crystal for them (and them only). Maybe give such users a slight (+1) damage bonus, but nothing else.

Depending on whose interpretation you believe, it was stated that the Sith use synthetic red crystals as their color crystal, and that during the forging of this crystal, they focus their hate and dark side power into the crystal creation, resulting in a slightly more powerful crystal for them (and them only).  Maybe give such users a slight (+1) damage bonus, but nothing else.

As I'm sure you all remember, the red crystals come from the Kinrath eggs, whereas the crystal formations are the other crystals.

I am not against the idea, per se, but I think it needs:

• bonuses to be moderated elesewhere, for example the ludicrous level bonus completely dwarfed all other bonuses, and there are bonuses for items and attributes; NwN, for example, limited the total additional bonus to a maximum of twelve attribute points from all sources (that's +6 increase)
  • I'd prefer it to be for something less obvious than an attribute; maybe add a feat (the "automatic" feats of the class, for example, like "Force Jump" for Guarduans)
  • Let's have any other Lightsabre users actually benefiting from these bonuses, too, so that when the PC wins the battle, they earn the crystals
  • Update the combat dynamic, so that a kill registers DarkSide points, regardless of the rationale of the victor; that way Light Siders will be more inclined to non-lethal combat (which should be much more difficult) and the cambatants should have an increased chance of escape (with their precious booty).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

No, I think color crystals should decide just that - color. There's already enough options to alter the effects without changing the color, so it's probably not necessary. :thumbsup:

What if the crystals actually leveled up your force powers as well? Say that by installing a particular crystal, you automatically were able to cast stasis, but you couldn't level up to stasis field unless you chose it while leveling up? They do something like that for feats, but not force powers. I kind of got the idea from Diablo II.

How about just no classes? See "KOTOR2" topic here in General

Hey, I'd go for that in a second - I hate the stupid classes. I just don't think it will happen given that KotOR uses semi-d20, and there might be legal reasons too, since WOTC owns the RPG, and if we have to live with the classes, then establishing why they tend to use different lightsaber colors might not be so bad.

Yeah, here is the basic hard part. Now you choose the color you like. But what if that color got itself a wrong bonus? Like said silver/viridian blades look VERY nice, but if they are way underpowered, that will cause me to look less of a possible KOTOR3..., as I rather want these than a boring blue/green/yellow/red

I would suggest the modifiers to be exceedingly limited. They shouldn't affect anything in combat at all, though they might give a +1 to one of the saving throws or so - that's useful without being powerful. Or certain colors could tend toward one direction, but still be different, like one green crystal could a greater bonus than another green crystal, but still modify the same thing.

I think the Sith used a certain crystal, I forget what it's called, but it was from a certain planet and the crystals were heated until they burned red or something. tieng together with the burning passion of their hatred towards the Jedi, and their blades were supposed to be constructed of a slightly different energy source...if I remember right. But that was also from a website, which I can't remember, which is usually a shotty source for information.

I think the Sith used a certain crystal, I forget what it's called, but it was from a certain planet and the crystals were heated until they burned red or something.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say the planet you're referring to is Ilum.

Am I right? And if so, do I get a prize? :D

Please review my fanfic!

Atton's Redemption

--------------