Has anyone played Pirates of the Sword Coast yet?

I'm weary about the whole "must be connected to the internet when starting the game" thing, but aside from that has anyone played it? Is it worth the $9.99 US price tag?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I wouldn't be surprised if they made Rick Burton's Paladin series into an "official" mod, too.

Ghostie, have you played all the Hall of Fame ones that you want to, yet? Because there is some quality stuff on there, and it is gratis.

PS Didn't you just make that ninja > pirates comment?

Still, I'd have to agree. White ruffle puffy shirts are a real difficult look to pull off: ninjas have the right idea, black is so much easier to wear to a killing.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Ghostie, have you played all the Hall of Fame ones that you want to, yet? Because there is some quality stuff on there, and it is gratis.

I've played the Paladin trilogy (actually 2, is the 3rd one out yet?), I've played a couple of the guild ones where you join a thieving guild. I've played that long ass one and various others, about 8 or 9 in total.

I tend to stick to the longer ones as I'm not a big fan of short games. Which is another reason I'm hesitant to play the premium modules since they're in the 4 to 8 hour range.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Well, he's working for them. And he did do the Paladin series. So I make the answer four equals two plus two.

For what I hear, when Dawn is finally finished, it will be available free of charge. That doesn't mean there won't be a sequel to the series that is an official premium module, though I would guess that's more likely for NWN2.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I'm still holding out for Age of Pirates. This looked interesting but I no longer have my NWN discs. From what I read on other forums its interesting but short and not really worth paying for. I'd probably still get it if I had my NWN discs to see for myself but...

I wouldn't be surprised if they made Rick Burton's Paladin series into an "official" mod, too.

I downloaded those last night. First good fan made mode I've played.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The Aielund Series is rather good in my opinion. Though I admit that fact that it was the first module I played that had capes on armour might have coloured my views a little, I still think it was pretty damn enjoyable.

I also liked the Way of the Open Hand.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I'm weary about the whole "must be connected to the internet when starting the game" thing, but aside from that has anyone played it?  Is it worth the $9.99 US price tag?

I sure the hell won't pay to have a mod. If you have to pay than it should be an official exspansion. Bioware is just getting greedy now after the fact that BG mods are so popular.

I'd get used to the idea of connecting to the net being a requirement for even single player games.

Do you not have an Internet connection?

With Half-Life 2, the Internet Connection is only required the enable the game.  You can set it to "play offline" mode.

Yep, I have no problem with an online verification process; I have a big problem with slowing down gameplay by insisting on carrying out the verification every time one does something like loading a save game: a task that is ordinarily done many times in a gaming session.

Half-Life 2 only delays the installation process while it decrypts every file with an online registration cypher (which make the installation take in the order of four hours, rather than one).

After the initial installation, Half-Life 2 allows for infintite off-line play. This NwN premium module mechanism does not, and is therefore inferior.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The Aielund Series is rather good in my opinion. Though I admit that fact that it was the first module I played that had capes on armour might have coloured my views a little, I still think it was pretty damn enjoyable.

I also liked the Way of the Open Hand.

Another brilliant aspect of the [http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=User.EntriesListing&id=377] Aielund Saga[/url] was arQon's rewriting of the magic spells of NwN, to more correctly conform to AD&D standards: EMS.

EMS is an Enhanced Magic System for NWN, which fixes literally hundreds of bugs in the BW scripts, and also moves a lot of spells closer to PHB. It is the only complete system with correct behavior for Dispels, AOEs, SR, etc, and is also PW-friendly. This is a 'drop-in' HAK, with notes for builders who want to integrate it with their worlds, and works with SOU/HOTU/CEP though none of them are actually required.

Thanks to Savant, author of the superb Aielund trilogy; and the admins and players of the Dreu Noctem PW; for their help with testing and balancing the system during its development.

As of v1.02 (23 Dec 04) the zip contains two files: hak/EMS.hak docs/EMS_Changes.txt and should be expanded into your NWN dir with pathnames on.

:-

I think Adam Miller is very talented, too. His ShadowLords series was pretty good (and an interesting study in the learning process), whereas his [http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=modules.List&category_show_all=1]Dreamcatcher[/url] series was borderline excellent (especially the latter ones), even though I wasn't a big fan of Demon, and most everyone raves about that.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I've read the FAQs with regards to the premium modules, but I'm not quite sure exactly when you have to be connected to the net. Is it just at the beginning of each play session? Or every single time you die or save a game?

I've read the FAQs with regards to the premium modules, but I'm not quite sure exactly when you have to be connected to the net.  Is it just at the beginning of each play session?  Or every single time you die or save a game?

When you reload a save game, the NwN engine spends about a minute connecting and verifying your game. Every time you reload a save game. So if you are scrolling through some old saves, not sure which one you want to reload, then you are in for a hair-tearing time of it ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

When you reload a save game, the NwN engine spends about a minute connecting and verifying your game. Every time you reload a save game. So if you are scrolling through some old saves, not sure which one you want to reload, then you are in for a hair-tearing time of it ...

That would suck if you were on dial up.

I'm usually connected to the net the entire time my comp is on so I'm not sure how big a hassle it would be for me. But for people with dial up who more than likely disconnect when they're playing games so they don't tie up the phone line, it might be a huge pain.

It's just annoying enough to be an active disincentive to reload games (which may have been an unintentional goal); certainly it has dissuaded me from replaying the premium modules that I have bought (regardless of their replayability): that and the fact that one of the modules was only "part one of several", meaning more purchases later to continue the (two-to-four hour) story ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT