Closing Threads

EnderAndrew

I'm noting several threads this past week that were on-topic, and closed for being off-topic.

Immediately below is the Family Guy topic which is a fine example. The entire time people were discussing the show and sharing Family Guy quotes. Yet the topic was closed for being derailed.

My gut instinct is that Fionavar was asked to clean up this two bit town. My gut instinct is that he is doing so. I really think, Ender, that you should have addressed this question to Fionavar directly. He's a fair fellow. I'm sure he'd give you some sort of explanation.

Being a mod is tough.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I have no qualms with Finoavar. He is a nice chap. However I think the reins should actually be a bit looser these days since we have very little on-topic to discuss. KOTOR:2 has been discussed to death, KOTOR:3 discussion is limited to one thread, and NWN:2 discussions have been hijacked.

P.S:Ender this thread is numoro uno spam for Fio, you realize this right? :huh:

You're probably right, although it shouldn't be. This thread isn't spam, provided it stays as a discussion on general moderation policy and its implementation, and doesn't spiral off into complaints about individual decisions or personal attacks. There's a chance Fionavar will close it and tell us to direct comments about moderation to himself or the Guildmaster via PM. On the other hand, general moderation policy should be a valid topic for discussion.

I think the main problem we have is that we rely on the mods, mainly Fionavar, too much. I'm forever reading threads where people post "Fionavar should really close this thread", and I agree with them, but why not just stop posting in the thread and let it die? A little self-restraint from the spammers would be good. We all spam sometimes, and a little spam can make a thread funnier to read, but we shouldn't really need the mods to step in and prune/close threads with page after page of rubbish every day.

I guess if a thread we like has been closed, we should just start it again, but PM the moderator to find out why the first thread was closed if this isn't clear (and it usually is). Then the starter of the second topic can put anti-derailment advice in the new thread.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

P.S:Ender this thread is numoro uno spam for Fio, you realize this right? :p

You're probably right, although it shouldn't be. This thread isn't spam, provided it stays as a discussion on general moderation policy and its implementation, and doesn't spiral off into complaints about individual decisions or personal attacks. There's a chance Fionavar will close it and tell us to direct comments about moderation to himself or the Guildmaster via PM. On the other hand, general moderation policy should be a valid topic for discussion.

I think the main problem we have that we rely on the mods, mainly Fionavar, too much. I'm forever reading threads where people post "Fionavar should really close this thread", and I agree with them, but why not just stop posting in the thread and let it die? A little self-restraint from the spammers would be good. We all spam sometimes, and a little spam can make a thread funnier to read, but we shouldn't really need the mods to step in and prune/close threads with page after page of rubbish every day.

I guess if a thread we like has been closed, we should just start it again, but PM the moderator to find out why the first thread was closed if this isn't clear (and it usually is). Then the starter of the second topic can put anti-derailment advice in the new thread.

Very wise words Im impressed :huh:

I would be happy to be the host of the continuation of threads that are closed, on my site...not like my installed forums are being used for anything else right now. But I'm kind of convinced, from past experience, that no one would use that option very much. People love their hang-outs. hehe

I like the modding here...sometimes I post something I know is going to get closed for being too off-topic or whatever...but that's ok. An official board has to be more careful about some things. I think they're actually quite tolerant, considering how wild the parties get sometimes. :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

While we may feel the questions posed are ridiculous, that is not the purview of a moderator. His questions are often on-topic and related to KOTOR. Those topics get closed because of the spam responses.

Often we as posters respond with spam to intentionally derail and close threads, when we could instead opt to not respond and have those posts get buried and lost.

Self-restraint is often the best solution for many situations.

As some people have said in other places - a forum isn't IRC. A lot of 'spam' would seem fine in a chatroom or in face to face convo...but seems like useless clutter on a forum. Just IMO of course.

On 'general' forums I've run/been part of, we designate a 'spam' forum for the more purely 'social' has-no-point-of-debate etc. threads. But I suppose that's not likely to happen here.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Way Off Topic should allow for most any post or thread, yet it doesn't. Certain topics seem to be fine to discuss, and others aren't. This has never been clearly defined.

I posted an Ask Ender advice thread, which was deemed spam, even though it was always on-topic.

Yet I've seen people post topics asking for advice and that isn't spam.

I think it's difficult for a company like Obsidian to have an all-spam forum, because anything said there could damage the company's reputation. A forum managed by a private citizen or group of private citizens doesn't need to worry so much. If there are abusive comments on these forums about LucasArts for example, or slanderous/libellous comments, Obsidian might be legally accountable for that (I'm not sure of US law in this regard), and LucasArts might complain to Obsidian. It's quite likely that this has already happened.

the Way Off Topic forum should be allow for things that are... well.... way off topic

most serious topics aren't spammed, yet people should be allowed to joke and have some fun :huh:

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Why does a thread have to be closed just because the word bukkake shows up?

Actually I think points Ender made are valid. But STB brings up Obsidian protecting themselves, which seems like a smart idea. And the Big Green I guess is pretty much like the parent around here telling his children when he feels they get out of hand.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I'd agree that what's really allowed in 'off topic' isn't well defined.

I think sometimes they are closed because it's decided a thread that consists largely of short replies has run it's course...or it's thought that the thread might be treading the"is this really useful/not potential-trouble" kind of thread, even if it still is on topic.

Sometimes as a mod you want to nip things before they occur.

Why does a thread have to be closed just because the word bukkake shows up?

I'm guessing it's because that's not considered a PG-13 kind of reference in the US. (at least in terms of it's current typical slang useage)

I've seen several posts of mine fully deleted for reasons not explained to me, and entire threads deleted, but posts that I have reported for racism (clearly against forum rules) have not been deleted.

That is something I can't quite understand.

I've seen several posts of mine fully deleted for reasons not explained to me, and entire threads deleted, but posts that I have reported for racism (clearly against forum rules) have not been deleted.

That is something I can't quite understand.

That sounds like a serious problem. Can you remember and link to any of these posts?