KotoR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

But at the same time, people often say they "hate" expansion packs because of stuff they feel should be in the game anyways.  I think it could possibly backfire, since fans can be just as picky, and could possibly only look at the length itself.

I think some of that is that people don't like expansion packs in general - they feel like they're being 'suckered' in by them, since they must have the governing game, and since they feel the pack contains material willfully withheld for more money. Sometimes it even feels that way. But I hear far less complaining in that vein, when the subject comes to sequels - then it's usually about how the graphics aren't improved enough or how the story isn't satisfying.

Why can't there be a new form of gaming media: episodic game segments? That is precisely what Valve are trying to do with their Steam delivery system. And there are competitors either already or immenently releasing similar delivery systems.

And it is not without precedent in other media: already major Video rentals can be managed over a broadband connection.

And there are historical precedents, as well, Charles Dickens wrote a lot of his novels in newspaper serial form.

Smaller productions are easier to develop. Serials provide the best of smaller project management overheads and re-usable models and graphic assets, leveraging the most expensive investments.

So it doesn't seem that far fetched to think that publishers will look to a online digital delivery system for more frequent and smaller parcels of entertainment, including games.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Siege of Avalon was sold in episodic game format, and it bombed. Shareware also tried episodic format. Usually 3 episodes or 6 episodes constituted a full game, and you could buy individual episodes, or the whole thing.

Now the game is being released free, as open-source.

Why can't there be a new form of gaming media: episodic game segments? That is precisely what Valve are trying to do with their Steam delivery system. And there are competitors either already or immenently releasing similar delivery systems.

If it gets off the ground, I think it could become the new market standard. The main problem of games is that the price tag looks really daunting, even if it's actually low for the hours of entertainment it provides. Spread out over the month or more it would take most KotOR players (not us fanatics) to play through, it's really quite cheap compared to four tickets to the cinema or a few books...

And there are historical precedents, as well, Charles Dickens wrote a lot of his novels in newspaper serial form.

True, though I'm not quite sure that the comparison will seem relevant to most people - computer games are still viewed by many as throwaway entertainment that cannot be compared to books or movies, I think. After decades, comic books still struggle with that sort of stigma, too. "Sin City" comic books are really dark and brilliant (IMHO), but there still comic books, so they're not taken seriously as literature :rolleyes:

Smaller productions are easier to develop. Serials provide the best of smaller project management overheads and re-usable models and graphic assets, leveraging the most expensive investments.

So it doesn't seem that far fetched to think that publishers will look to a online digital delivery system for more frequent and smaller parcels of entertainment, including games.

Online gaming is definitely the next step. I feel that we'll see online RPGs with professional GMs online within the next five years or so. Not quite sure how it would work out, though. Story plots are difficult to handle, since you want to give the individual player a genuine sense of true influence on the plot, and that's a pretty big order to fill...

I mean, KotOR games have deep and strong plots, but they have them at the cost of diversity, since the plot unfolds in an extremely linear fashion, and the NPCs are fixed. Without that Atton couldn't have a dark background or Kreia become the villain in the end. Sure, a PC could have a history like Atton's, but it's very difficult to allow for that in a generic plot, so that looks like a very difficult task for both storywriters and GMs from where I sit...

See above post.  The shareware industry tried it for years with limited success.  Digital Tome (the publishers behind Siege of Avalon) tried it with poor success.

An idea before it's time, perhaps? I think the advent of an online digital delivery system makes it a much more feasible business plan.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Hello Ladies And Gentlman :p

UPDATED! 22nd July 2005

More Kotor III Tidbits

I believe there is some more very minor info on Kotor III. Not much info but this just might boost our hopes up a notch for a Kotor III.

Here is what stawarsknight.com had to say:

source:

www.starwarsknights.com

In article published in the The Hollywood Reporter LucasArts reveals its intention to make LucasArts the growth engine of LucasFilm over the next decade and to double the number of its employees in order to make more development internally. Jim Ward, the president of the company, also promises that LucasArts will be putting more emphasis on the quality of its future games.

In an interview published in the Globe and Mail, Peter Hirschman, vice-president of product development at LucasArts, gives more details about the future of LucasArts games.

As for future games, we can expect new Indiana Jones titles, a number of new intellectual properties such as Mercenaries which was lauched in January 2005, and of course, StarWars games, some of them with a plot focusing on the period between Episodes 3 and 4 of the movies.

When asked about Knights of the Old Republic III, Hirschman answered:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A: That's a great idea. [Poker face]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

more info on the future of star wars games.Star Wars knights III is mentioned very very breifly but I guess there is still hope click here:

http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/sto...pageRequested=1

to view the source of this info. A very detailed info indeed, hope you all enjoy reading all of it

and here is more on another site about gaming. I believe Kotor III (I think) is mentioned. But please do not give your hopes to high. I thought I just share the info with fellow Kotorians who are hoping that there might be a Kotor III like me

source:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/th...t_id=1000979639

Enjoy!

Bastila Skywalker :)

Thanks for the info. I'm sure KOTOR:3 will happen, and it appears they were trying to develop it internally last September which saddens me. I haven't like internally developed LucasArts titles in while, but then again I haven't played Gladius or Mercaneries.

Thanks, Bastilla. I'm sure LucasArts haven't made a decision that Kotor 3 won't be made, because they would have let the news out by now. They're probably mulling it over. If their upcoming releases are flops, then those games won't get sequels and Kotor will. Hmmm, sounds like I'm advocating a boycott of non-Kotor LucasArts products. :p Of course I'm not! :D

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I think it's safe to say (with some certainty, not 100% though) that KOTOR3 (or a similar game) will be made. I think it's more a question of when.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Still, in this case there must be a sequel, or it would be like doing ESB without ROTJ...

I doubt LucasArts would commission Kotor 3 for the sake of completing the trilogy. They'll commission it if they think it will make money, more money than the alternatives. Remember, they've decided to release no more than two games a year, and they've had some other successes recently that might spawn successful sequels.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

No more than 2 titles per year.....so if you count Battle Front, Republic Commando, SW Galaxies, and Empire at War, plus any sequels to Mercenaries, that means we won't be seeing KOTOR3 until....2011?

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Two titles a year?

We recently got Mercaneries, KOTOR:2, the Wookies expansion for Galaxies, Battlefront, Episode III the game, Lego Star Wars, and Republic Commando.

In the works is Battlefront 2, Empire at War, and another Mercaneries title. There would be more if they hadn't recently canceled a bunch of projects.

Of those games, I don't see any more sequels coming out other than maybe yet another SWG expansion pack.

Episode III game is a one shot deal, and so is Lego Star Wars (except if they make it about something else). I'm not sure if Republic Commando warrants a sequel.

So I wonder what else they have up their sleeve.

Maybe because they actually marketed the hell out of it.

But that surprises me since of all the titles listed, that was the least enjoyable.

I just remembered also they're doing an Indiana Jones one. I guess depending on how successful that is, we might see sequels of that.

Especially with Indy 4 coming out. There is a script all parties like, and Spielburg says he is doing it right after Munich. It should be noted that unlike Lucas, Spielburg has been churning out titles left and right. Sure he only released three films as a director in the past two years, but he has countless producer projects he has been doing as well. And WotW was made in seemingly record time.

If they want the money to pour in their pockets they would do this. Do what the fans want and they can make some decent money off us.

Or convince us what we want (Christmas rushed release) and cram it down our throats because they know we'll buy.

I think it's safe to say (with some certainty, not 100% though) that KOTOR3 (or a similar game) will be made.  I think it's more a question of when.

Unfortnately, i have to go with GOA with this one. :ermm:

It's not too late to change your mind Ghostie. ^_^

I'd edit my post if people hadn't quoted it. :-