KotoR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

Please feel free to contribute to the ongoing discussion. There is a lot of interest in this topic and keeping input centralised and presented in a clear and articulate manner will have more impact and influence than posting to the contrary :rolleyes:

See previous threads:

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Please feel free to contribute to the ongoing discussion. There is a lot of interest in this topic and keeping input centralised and presented in a clear and articulate manner will have more impact and influence than posting to the contrary ;)

See previous threads:

are you guys going to make this game or what Fio? I don't want to be posting my ideas and just have them be ideas instead of being incorporated into the next Kotor, then thats just a complete waste of time and ideas. :thumbsup:

but i'll go under the assumption that you'll make K3 but in the future, anyways here's what i want:If you join the Sith i mean really join the Sith this time instead of fighting against them and you get a Darth name (optional name) if you join the Sith, new ship besides the Ebon Hawk please, good romance option would be nice, and sorry thats all i got :">

Hi folks, I actually posted these with my review of KotOR2 but that was closed so here we go.

My hopes for KotOR3-

1. Obviously, the first thing I would like is the problems listed above to be fixed. KotOR really needs to be more stable and with less bugs, especially if it makes it to three games.

2. Coruscant. I really, really want to see Coruscant if there is a KotOR3. Aside from being the coolest world in Star Wars, it also provides massive storyline options that could include the Jedi Temple, the Senate, perhaps even investigating a high-profile murder and coming across an old acquaintance

TSLRP Closed Beta Tester

i just want something longer...

kotor 1 i can finish in around 20 hours at MOST (doing ALL the sidequests, swoop racing etc)

kotor 2 i can do in about the same amount of time...

i want something where you can go back to old areas and keep doing things, rather than finish a planet and have no motivation whatsoever to go back. there was a little of this in kotor 1 and 2, but only for a couple of quests...

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I really don't want to have UPS quests! That would just get annoying. I would like to land in different area's or have the rapid transit back, just to be able to go back to the ship much quicker than finding my way across 20 klicks of space...

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

3. 100+ hours of Gameplay. As much as I love KotOR and KotOR2, I would really like to see an EPIC game, which the first two are not. Both KotOR and KotOR2 take roughly 30-40 hours to complete (including all side quests, pazaak, swoop racing etc) and while it has a lot of replay value, I would like to see a much longer game, even if it took longer to make and cost more to buy.

Sadly, the trend seems to be in the other direction. Mr. Sawyer suggests it's because more gamers are adults who want to play in one or two-hour sessions, rather than teenagers who play all day.

5. The Sith Empire. It would be too cruel of Lucasarts and whoever develops KotOR3 to not include the Sith Empire that Kreia keeps telling us about in KotOR2 as the main villains. Perhaps one of your first missions could be responding to a

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Well for the '100+ hours' idea, it really doesn't matter how much people play in one session. After all, even if you only play two hours at a time, you'll still get the whole game, and it will last that much longer.

TSLRP Closed Beta Tester

Well for the '100+ hours' idea, it really doesn't matter how much people play in one session. After all, even if you only play two hours at a time, you'll still get the whole game, and it will last that much longer.

And that's precisely why it does matter - if people play 40 hours in two hour sessions every day, that's three weeks, and they're still not even half way through. Then most people tend to stop, since they feel no sense of accomplishment or progress in the plot, and they'll play something else where they do get that feeling and never play KotOR again.

As I said before, I don't mind playing long games or watching long movies - I sat down and watched the extended edtion of Return of the King twice without pause the day it was released - but I know very few people who are willing to do that, even if they do have the time.

I am developing a storyline at the moment, pretty soon I will go head to head against Jediphile and Vagrant. Accoridng to Darth Windu's idea's the following will be all right in my vision of Kotor III:

1: No problem, I guess we all agree that this should be fixed

2: Off course, Coruscant is one of the planets in my list

3: No, sorry about this. The developers won't agree with you.

4: Yes, off course Revan will play a Major role in Kotor III. Also in my storyline

5: Yes, the true Sith Empire will emerge in my story. There will also be a new True Sith Lord we haven't seen / read about before.

6: Maybe Nihilus will return in my Kotor III storyline.

7: No restrictions like you imagine. I guess I'll put in a double phased lightsaber, a saber which can be extended but you need to fight 2 handed to balance the weapon, the two weapon fighting feat is a bit of a must here.

8: I think the penalties in both Kotors are well enough. Luke used something like "Force wound" on the gammorean guards in Jabba's palace. Jedi do not use DS powers because they think it will bring them to the DS.

9: IMO, this goes without saying.

10: Yes, and the hilts should be customizable.

11: Blasters? They should be very complex to build and I think it's one of the flaws in Kotor II. I do agree with you that you should be able to build Vibroblades, upgrades, Mines, grenades and Lightsabers.

12: Well, I think there should only be some Jedi left, and I don't think this can be done in any story.

13: You are right about that. I plan to be able to train one of the NPC's and make it more complete.

Master Vandar lives!

And that's precisely why it does matter - if people play 40 hours in two hour sessions every day, that's three weeks, and they're still not even half way through. Then most people tend to stop, since they feel no sense of accomplishment or progress in the plot, and they'll play something else where they do get that feeling and never play KotOR again.

Two hours a day takes 20 days, or three weeks, to complete. I agree that it's a lot, but if publishers want to keep putting out shorter games they need to think about reducing the prices.

I still think that it's shorter, clearer chapters within a game, rather than making the game as a whole shorter, that is needed to make games more accessible. The ending of each chapter, if well written, should give the sense of accomplishment you mention. It's a matter of designers rethinking the way the game is structured. It would be easier to implement in an adventure than an RPG, though. I don't see any problem with Kotor 3 following the same structure as 1 and 2 - but this structure may be on the way out.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Two hours a day takes 20 days, or three weeks, to complete.  I agree that it's a lot, but if publishers want to keep putting out shorter games they need to think about reducing the prices.

I still think that it's shorter, clearer chapters within a game, rather than making the game as a whole shorter, that is needed to make games more accessible.  The ending of each chapter, if well written, should give the sense of accomplishment you mention.  It's a matter of designers rethinking the way the game is structured.  It would be easier to implement in an adventure than an RPG, though.  I don't see any problem with Kotor 3 following the same structure as 1 and 2 - but this structure may be on the way out.

Yes, I'd agree with that. It might work better if they produced shorter and cheaper games, but then released them more often. Take KotOR2 - people waited for, what, a year and a half to play it, and it was still unfinished, and now they must wait at least the same amount of time again (and probably more given KotOR2's rushed state...) before the next chapter is.

Instead they could sell the games cheaper, but also make them shorter, then put out a game at least one a year. This would keep the last game 'fresh' in the customers' minds. It would *have* to be plotted out as a series from the beginning, though, so that plot can be consistent from beginning to end. Sort of like an electronic and interactive novel, where you get the chapters one at a time.

It would have to be scheduled carefully, though, or you'll overflood the market and lose your customer base, but if it works you'd have a steady stream of customers. I think price tags are a big problem today, but if you cut the game in two and cut the price by half or even 60%, it might seem like far less of an investment.

To us the consumer though.

I'm not sure if it would be as practical to the developer/publisher.

Although I guess stuff like this would only happen if you anticipated an additional release, so it's not like you'd have to start preproduction everytime.

But at the same time, people often say they "hate" expansion packs because of stuff they feel should be in the game anyways. I think it could possibly backfire, since fans can be just as picky, and could possibly only look at the length itself.

To us the consumer though.

And we don't matter? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if it would be as practical to the developer/publisher.

No, but what is practical to them? Besides, it doesn't matter - they will go where the market flows or go out of business.

Although I guess stuff like this would only happen if you anticipated an additional release, so it's not like you'd have to start preproduction everytime.

Precisely.

But at the same time, people often say they "hate" expansion packs because of stuff they feel should be in the game anyways.  I think it could possibly backfire, since fans can be just as picky, and could possibly only look at the length itself.

I think some of that is that people don't like expansion packs in general - they feel like they're being 'suckered' in by them, since they must have the governing game, and since they feel the pack contains material willfully withheld for more money. Sometimes it even feels that way. But I hear far less complaining in that vein, when the subject comes to sequels - then it's usually about how the graphics aren't improved enough or how the story isn't satisfying.