An Interesting Proposition

Well, Id like to play something new (to me). And I recently acquired the new WoD books...

However, I am willing to play pretty much anything. So I suppose it is up to the remaining members.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

I'm curious how Werewolf has been reenvisioned. I feel like the old Werewolf game was never fully realized, despite tons of supplements and plenty of sales.

The game has one rule over forgotten that all Homid Garou that spend time with normal humans will lose one of their friends once a month, as some aspect of their primal warrior nature inherently shines through and terrifies people around them.

Werewolves fight to protect the world, yet are shunned by the world and are forced into an insular existance with themselves and their kinfolk. All the time they seek to destroy the Wyrm, while feeding upon the Wyrm's destructive tendencies. Never do they learn that violence only begets further violence, and in that vein they make several large mistakes such as the Impergium and the War of Rage.

Are Werewolves really heroes or delued soldiers not quite as righteous as they would like to believe.

In Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, there is an army called the Children of Light. They seek to fight evil in the world, but their tactics and approach cast them almost in a villianous role, akin to the Spanish Inquisition. I see the Garou nation in a similiar light.

White Wolf never really explored that angle, and let players continue to play them as almost flawless heroes, ignoring the mistakes they have made over the years.

Though I havent read the old Wereworf, this new version seems rather different to what you describe.

Basically, the history of the werewolves begins on Pangaea, a paradise ruled by spirits. In particular, Urfarah - Father Wolf. Luna (the moon) is entranced by Pangaea and comes down to investigate. Eventually, the two meet and give birth to the first werewolves. The first pack of Uratha (werewolves) inherited traits from both parents, and were raised to assist Father Wolf in his rule.

Over time, Father Wolf grows weaker and allows more spirits and such to escape his notice, setting up their own tyrannical kingdoms. Even when he did catch them, it took longer for him to kill them and some escaped. Pangaea had become a paradise for ambitious spirits and their human servants, yet purgatory for all others.

It is in the nature of the wolf to battle for dominance, and that only the strongest should lead as alpha. Urfarah was failing, and the world suffered for it. Thus, his children struck against him, killing him. It was necessary, but still heinous to them.

Luna heard the dying cry of her lover and cursed all her children.

As a result, the Uratha became called the Forsaken, and have sought to keep the spirit worlds and human worlds in balance ever since, though both despise them for it.

Also, three of the original Uratha did not attack Father Wolf. They and their descendants are known as the Pure, and proclaim their loyalty to Urfarah, that his death was not their sin. Three of Father Wolf's spirit children hear this cry and offer an alliance to the Pure, so that they might strike against their traitorous kin. Thus was born the greatest enemy of the Forsaken.

The social system seems rather tribal, with approximately 5 "packs" based on various philosophies and purpose.

Beyond that, certain powers and personalities (and thereby roles within a tribe) are associated with the aspect of the moon in which you first change.

I find it kind of sad

I'm in if that's ok with everyone else.

I don't really have any preferances...

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

We should probably share at least our timezones, so that we know our schedules are in sync.

Im Eastern and I know Ender should be Central if he lives in Omaha, but I am unsure as to the rest of us.

I find it kind of sad

I live in Michigan, so eastern...

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

What about a game that is conducive to a forum. Isn't Cthullhu a good environment for a forum (no combat, and lots of description and directions)?

I may not be 100% correct, as I have not played Cthullhu very much at all.

(In fact not at all. But I did see a front cover. And I was going to, a long time ago.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I've been jonsin' for a Cthulu game for years. I'll try the WoD game also, if it comes to that. I'll probably need help with anything we play other than DnD. After all, DnD is all I've played for a long time.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Ontario here (Eastern time zone for those who have no clue about Canada).

The only one I've ever played is oldschool Star Wars (I don't even know what system that is), so I'll be a n00b regardless.

But of the ones mentioned so far I'm a definite for Star Wars, WoD and DnD. I'm a maybe for anything else mentioned.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I have a confession, I have never played a PnP RPG...

The only one I've ever played is oldschool Star Wars (I don't even know what system that is), so I'll be a n00b regardless. 

I believe you mean WEG d6 Star Wars. Anyway, Ive played only d20 Star Wars, DnD 3rd and 3.5 edition, as well as Eberron. Never found anyone else to play with for other systems. So it would be the first time for me in them as well.

However, should we play WoD, Ender explained the system adequately well to me that I should be fine.

And so I assume most people are Eastern then? Since Ender is only 1 timezone away, the time difference isnt nearly as great as it could be, so scheduling should be alright.

I find it kind of sad

I played D&D on a grand total of four occasions, until the DM decided he wanted to give up and be a regular player again, but no-one wanted to take over. I can't say I was overwhelmed by the (rather short) experience, but it would be nice to try again.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I haven't played Bloodlines, but as I understand the actual mechanics of the game weren't really based on table-top mechanics. Behind the scenes, I don't think it was rolling for succeses.

The character attributes, skills and disciplines had a basis in the WoD PnP game however.

The mechanic is very simple. You take your Attribute and Skill (such as Dex + Brawl/Melee/Firearms/Dodge/Whatever) and roll both. A Dex of 3 and a Brawl of 2, equals 5 dice.

You need a 7 normally for a success. The new WoD system says you always a 7, and modifiers just add or remove dice. I'm half tempted to use that newer rule.

On the 5 dice, every dice that is a 7 or higher is a success. If you have an appropriate specialization (Desert Eagle pistols), then you can also reroll 10's for more successes possibly.

Multiple successes add to the effect, such as bonus dice of damage.

1's take away successes. And you can spend a Willpower point for an automatic success.

For contested rolls, the one with more successes wins.

That's basically it.