Story in games?

Mordrian

Through the last years, the gaming market has been flooded with crappy shooters, and hack&slash, or "RPGs"(as they like to call it :lol: ). One lucky star of these developers though, has been rising continously(Bioware) but recently(ehrm..sort of, sounded good) joining the darkside with Xbox and family. Another developer, that I had so high expectations on(Troika) died. There really aren't many games today that tries to tell us some sort of story(have there ever been? Apart from all those japanese games..), and most that tries, fails completely. Morrowind tried, but both the story, and the way they put it forth, sucked so much ass it doesn't even deserve to be called a rpg!

So why aren't there more developers that are trying to create their own story? More games that are heavily dependant on the story in the game. Why aren't they trying to copy the achievements of successful companies like Bioware? Can't they see many are not satisfied with what are available today? Is it that difficult to make a game with some sort of intresting story, or are they just not interested?

Don't come and tell me now that games like Splinter Cell with the dude named Sam Fisher, has a nice and interesting story. Or that maniac named Solid Snake or whatever for that matter, because it too ****** as much ass as the tv-series 24! >_<

So why do you think the story in most games are almost non-existant? And why are hack&slash games still selling? I mean, it's always the same, just new looks. I guess one reason is, the world is populated by new teenagers every second..

Damnit! I know there's something I forgot to complain about... no matter.. This post is absolutely completely incoherent and indistinct, but some of you will probably get through it.

Because the attention span of most gamers doesn't last beyond "kill next enemy" and thus there's less demand for strong stories as there is for c00l graphics and uber powerful guns.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

We covered a similar point elsewhere on character creation.

Quite simply, fourteen to sixteen year olds with no taste have somehow acquired the ability to fork out 40 quid at a time for games. The big money is in making shiny light displays to wow them with, and uber guns for them to work out their raging hormone imbalances with.

They care not for your weedy stories.

*sobs*

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

We covered a similar point elsewhere on character creation.

Quite simply, fourteen to sixteen year olds with no taste have somehow acquired the ability to fork out 40 quid at a time for games. The big money is in making shiny light displays to wow them with, and uber guns for them to work out their raging hormone imbalances with.

They care not for your weedy stories.

*sobs*

I know only of one remedy for it... ANNIHILIATE all the rich teenagers under the age of 18 in our countries!

Quite simply, fourteen to sixteen year olds with no taste have somehow acquired the ability to fork out 40 quid at a time for games.

I blame parents who throw money at their kids to entertain them rather than actually taking an active role in their life.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I blame parents who throw money at their kids to entertain them rather than actually taking an active role in their life.

As long as they could take an active role in ther gaming life, I'd be happy. Showing them what games are good and what games are not.. shooters.. - No no little Ryan, don't touch that. You can have this instead! Jade Empire, that's the ticket for young boys like you!

So what if one just plays for entertainment, a quick fix. Will we scourge him too. Tastes differ you know.

I share your viewpoint on lacking stories though. But calling other games bull, just for the sake of them not being rpgs shows a lack of taste. Shooters, action games, strategy games and such can have good stories. Vice versa; some rpg-plots are just horrible.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Well, there're games that have story, and then there's a game that is story...

I recommend you to read those two interviews of Quantic Dream's David Cage, talking about the ambitiously Fahrenheit game and the lack of progress in today's games in general. Very interesting read...

I hope this game turns out as something playable, not watchable, though.

Part 1

Part 2

I just lost my 1337ness. Poor me. :)

The problem of Fahrenheit, seems to be just what you mentioned. It may be very near of becoming an pseudo-interactive movie. That angels-video especailly; where the main character fights two statues, looks very on-rails. Me not likey.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

So what if one just plays for entertainment, a quick fix. Will we scourge him too. Tastes differ you know.

I share your viewpoint on lacking stories though. But calling other games bull, just for the sake of them not being rpgs shows a lack of taste. Shooters, action games, strategy games and such can have good stories. Vice versa; some rpg-plots are just horrible.

Of course Shooters and other games can be good too. I never said that all shooters *****, and I also pointed out that many rpgs are horrible. I've had my happy share of good strategy games, and shooters, but that's not really what's interesting here. Though it is a FACT that Sam Fisher in splinter cell is just as annoying as Jack Bauer with his all-knowing attitude.

I will scourge everyone though, that doesn't agree with me.. :cool:

So IF you were playing a game, just for "a quick fix", it must be Monkey Ball or Tetris.

Never take anything I say literally. :)

I get my fixes from Thief, DoA 3, Gunz and HL 2.

kirottu said:

I don't know about you, but I didn't want my parents to take an active interest in me at that age. i think the answer is just that they shouldn't be given great skads of cash.

Thinks: my kids won't have any option.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well, there're games that have story, and then there's a game that is story...

I recommend you to read those two interviews of Quantic Dream's David Cage, talking about the ambitiously Fahrenheit game and the lack of progress in today's games in general. Very interesting read...

I hope this game turns out as something playable, not watchable, though.

Part 1

Part 2

Only read about half of the first part yet, but it seems as if I completely agree with him so far on his thoughts about the industry. This is really some interesting reading!

And well, yeah.. As you guys have already said. It could possible also be too much story, and too little gaming. I wouldn't worry about that yet though. Not when it's completely the other way around. Perhaps it would be a waking call for some people?

Is it that difficult to make a game with some sort of intresting story, or are they just not interested?

The latter, I think. Stories don't sell games in the way that combat does. When I see TV adverts for games, they're showing and talking about the combat.

I'd like to see the role of writer separated from that of programmer. Perhaps I'm being unreasonable or unrealistic, but I don't see that the two work well together. You don't ask a Hollywood scriptwriter to operate the cameras or decorate the sets.

I think game companies will become increasingly aware that in order to keep their profits up, they need to attract new gamers who aren't so interested in combat. Then they will start to invest more in stories. It's difficult to produce a great story, but it's not difficult to produce a decent story. It's a matter of paying someone competent to create one.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Fair points there, Steve. I think you've picked up the two key areas.

1) writing a half way decent story is not THAT hard.

2) Even if you have to have a straightforward main plot, you can get really weird and wild and moving in the sub-plots.

3) If you want people to game as a past-time they need more to get stuck into. Plots to keep them interested enough to play along to find out what happens. And attractive characters in the plot. Although I mean attractive as in pleasing. So they could be fiendishly evil.

Alright. Three key areas.

-Elwood Blues

It's difficult to produce a great story, but it's not difficult to produce a decent story.  It's a matter of paying someone competent to create one.

Yeah, that may be true. But I guess it takes some practice to be able to implement the story in the game in a good way too. Which I certainly think both Bloodlines and Halflife 2 did nicely. Anyone else?

I'm munching on some mushromms btw... I like my mushrooms lukewarm..

I know everyone here would like to blame teenagers for where money gets spent in the gaming world, but the average age of gamers has been rising through the 20s for many years now. Many gamers are adults with disposable income for entertainment who have limited chunks of time for gaming. For a variety of reasons, they can't sit in front of a monitor or TV for twelve hours at a time to play through an intricate 80-hour game.

As a result, games that have high production values, appealing main characters, and a shallow learning curve often do better than games that lack these things.

I know everyone here would like to blame teenagers for where money gets spent in the gaming world, but the average age of gamers has been rising through the 20s for many years now.  Many gamers are adults with disposable income for entertainment who have limited chunks of time for gaming.  For a variety of reasons, they can't sit in front of a monitor or TV for twelve hours at a time to play through an intricate 80-hour game.

As a result, games that have high production values, appealing main characters, and a shallow learning curve often do better than games that lack these things.

I can understand the shorter length of games, but that doesn't necessarily explain the lack of emphasis on storytelling. JE and KOTOR (1 and 2) are good examples of games with short length (compared to oldschool cRPGs), but still having decent stories.

I know everyone here would like to blame teenagers for where money gets spent in the gaming world, but the average age of gamers has been rising through the 20s for many years now.  Many gamers are adults with disposable income for entertainment who have limited chunks of time for gaming.  For a variety of reasons, they can't sit in front of a monitor or TV for twelve hours at a time to play through an intricate 80-hour game.

My theory, we devolving ...

drakron.png

Guest Fishboot
Morrowind tried, but both the story, and the way they put it forth, sucked so much ass it doesn't even deserve to be called a rpg!

Do you have to float such asinine fanboy/anti-fanboyish statements? It degrades the forums. I would be surprised if this thread doesn't turn out idiotic because it was planted in such weak soil.

Bleah. "Story" is such a nebulous concept I can't see how anyone could take the initial screed seriously. Are broad or sympathetic characters story? Is intricate plotting story? Is some kind of Joseph Cambell-ian allusion to elemental archetypes story? Is length story? Is scope story? Is relevance story? Is subtext story? I have no idea what you're talking about.