Insert Cricket Chirping Here

EnderAndrew

Alberta has also had mild winters in the past few years.  This past year was rather cold.

We also had some really, really hot summers the past few years, but this summer has been anything but (in fact it's been mostly we here in Northern Alberta).

It doesn't work consistently, and that's to be expected. Global warming will cause some areas to get warmer and some colder, as weather systems across the world change. The UK will likely get colder initially as the Gulf Stream is disrupted - we have an unusually temperate given our latitude.

Overall, global warming is likely to cause more extreme weather of all kinds - hotter summers, colder winters. But it's a mistake to connect an individual weather event or season to global warming. The effects are subtler and long-term, though no less powerful for that.

The overwhelming view of scientists working in the field is that global warming exists and is caused by human activity. There are some critics, and these have been given undue prominence by the US media desperate to appear balanced and the US government which is desperate not to jeopardise economic growth.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I'm just going to post a whole bunch of quotes, since I am finding this article a neat read.

Direct visual verification would certainly put an end to the issue, however there are at least three pieces of hardware on the Moon that are not in dispute. Apollos 11, 14 and 15 erected laser reflectors on the lunar surface. Laser beams are routinely fired at these reflectors through telescopes at McDonald Observatory in Texas and near Grasse in southern France. Timings of these reflected beams are used to measure the Earth-Moon distance to an accuracy of one inch. To explain the existence of these reflectors the hoax advocates have no choice but to claim they were placed on the Moon by robotic landers; a huge undertaking for which there is no supporting evidence. The simple answer: the Apollo astronauts placed them there. (More on robotic missions later.)

This is a claim the hoax advocates often make, but it is a gross exaggeration and simply not supported by the data. Radiation was a definite concern for NASA before the first space flights, but they invested a great deal of research into it and determined the hazard was minimal. It took Apollo about an hour to pass through the radiation belts - once on the outbound trip and once again on the return trip. The total radiation dose received by the astronauts was about one rem. A person will experience radiation sickness with a dose of 100-200 rem, and death with a dose of 300+ rem. Clearly the doses received fall well below anything that could be considered a significant risk. Despite claims that "lead shielding meters thick would have been needed", NASA found it unnecessary to provide any special radiation shielding.

The hoax advocates also make the mistake of limiting themselves to two-dimensional thinking. The Van Allen Radiation Belts consist of a doughnut-shaped region centered around the Earth's magnetic equator, and spanning about 40 degrees of latitude - 20 degrees above and below the magnetic equator. The translunar trajectories followed by the Apollo spacecraft were typically inclined about 30 degrees to the Earth's equator, therefore Apollo bypassed all but the edges of the radiation belts.

This I find to be one of the more ridiculous observations. It is readily apparent that all the video showing a fluttering flag is one in which an astronaut is grasping the flagpole. He is obviously twisting or jostling the pole, which is making the flag move. In fact, in some video the motion of the flag is unlike anything we would see on Earth. In an atmosphere the motion of the flag would quickly dampen out due to air resistance. In some of the Apollo video we see the twisting motion of the pole resulting in a violent flapping motion in the flag with little dampening effect.

Apparently the motion of the flag in the video is not dampened, as it should be if it existed in an atmospheric world.

The hoax advocates substantiate this claim by citing how the video abruptly ends when the Lunar Module ascent stage reaches the 'ceiling' of the movie stage. The video to which they refer is an edited version that is often seen in Apollo documentaries and on television. The unedited footage [see video] clearly shows the LM rising far into the sky, pitching over, and then traveling far downrange before moving out of the range of the camera.

I watched the video, and it was pretty neat. If you check out the link, he has a link to the video, in its entirety.

Overall, global warming is likely to cause more extreme weather of all kinds - hotter summers, colder winters. But it's a mistake to connect an individual weather event or season to global warming. The effects are subtler and long-term, though no less powerful for that.

While I won't disagree, I'm sick of hearing local activist groups blame EVERY weather phenomenon on "climate change." We had hot summer, which made "perfect sense" given that "global warming" was occuring. But now that we've had heavy rains, it too is because of global warming. The warm winters....global warming, the cold winter...oooo a different name, "climate change."

We had some rivers flood (which local scientists attribute to the heavy rainfalls), yet clearly the rise in global temperatures is starting to increase rate at which the glaciers in the rocky mountains are melting (although it didn't explain why our rivers where so horribly, horribly low the past 3 years).

Meh.

We had some rivers flood (which local scientists attribute to the heavy rainfalls), yet clearly the rise in global temperatures is starting to increase rate at which the glaciers in the rocky mountains are melting (although it didn't explain why our rivers where so horribly, horribly low the past 3 years).

Heavy rains may be part of it, but in the UK at least, river flooding usually has more to do with either too much concreted ground or cutting down too many trees, both of which reduce the ability of the land to soak up the excess water. Whether global warming-related or not, it's caused or at least exacerbated by human activity.

I sympathise with local groups who blame weather events on global warming in order to persuade the public, but I think they're making themselves hostages to fortune. Every now and then there'll be a year without a hurricane or flood, and then their case collapses. That's not the way to persuade people of the nature of the threat.

In CA we've had 3 floods in the past ten years.

What I'm worried about is what happens when the earth's poles flip? Does the earth rip itself apart like what magento so desires, or does it just continue on like nothing's happened and all the compass's have to be flopped 180 degrees.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

In CA we've had 3 floods in the past ten years.

What I'm worried about is what happens when the earth's poles flip? Does the earth rip itself apart like what magento so desires, or does it just continue on like nothing's happened and all the compass's have to be flopped 180 degrees.

The poles have flipped several times already. It might interfere with electrical equipment and possibly some bird migration patterns, but otherwise, you might not even notice it.

I have no intention to play anything that really resembles Diablo.

I haven't played that, and now I think I never will.

As for Duke Nukem Forever, it will be interesting to see if taking as long as they want will really improve the quality of the game. Not that I actually see myself playing it, but I will read the reviews. All the criticism of Kotor 2 is that it was rushed and suffered as a result, yet deadlines can have a positive impact on the creative process.

I abhor 3DRealms. Tehy should just release the game and be done with it. I think I lost my interest for the game somewhere around 2001.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

With so much of time taken to develop the game; I think it's been finished for a couple of years already. Feature creep probably killed the time table.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Yes, but did they have to start it over back then, hmm?

kirottu said: