Shadowrun FPS on the Xbox 360

funcroc

http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/634/634639p1.html

JonnyG: To begin by introducing yourselves, what would you like to say about who you are, what games you've worked on and your current position?

Theron Benson: My name is Theron Benson; I am an Animator currently working for FASA Studios at Microsoft Game Studios.

I have worked on many projects, ranging from PC games to console, FPS to role-playing. Right now, I am animating for an Xbox 2 project called Shadowrun. It's a first-person shooter based on an old paper RPG of the same name from a couple decades ago.

Guest Fishboot
I have worked on many projects, ranging from PC games to console, FPS to role-playing. Right now, I am animating for an Xbox 2 project called Shadowrun. It's a first-person shooter based on an old paper RPG of the same name from a couple decades ago.

A couple decades ago? I guess maybe the first edition of Shadowrun came out in '89 or something, although I could have sworn it was '91 or '92..

I could see this being really bad, though. I dunno if game developers have mined out the cyberpunk genre enough to warrant progression into a derivation of it where magic is added. Really, if they want to mine the coolest part of the Shadowrun world it would be the Sovereign American Indian Nation dealie - everything else was pretty much what you'd expect from "stereotypical fantasy + Cyberpunk". The rules weren't great either.

I dunno if these guys would have the wherewithal to say whether they meant "Wolfenstein FPS" or "Deus Ex FPS". One of these things is more encouraging that the other...

If you just want a pure shooter, then why use Shadowrun?

Excellent question

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Guest Fishboot
If you just want a pure shooter, then why use Shadowrun?

Everyone knows that hard core action game fans predicate their buying on obscure pen & paper licenses that went defunct five years before. There is a real chance this will be an X-Com: Enforcer/FOBOS license disaster.

Guest GroinOfDespair

I don't mind a good FPS, though it's not really my genre. I like ending the pathetic lives and raining mass destruction around the place. But a Shadowrun FPS sounds like a bad idea. I think this idea will fail miserably.

Awww, the itty bitty developers feel that their talent is lost on an rpg and make a fps twitchfest. How sweet. Fyck you FASA. This is unforgivable. I'm hoping to unleash some righteous punishment if my paths'll ever cross these dumbs.

But, if they decide to imitate games like Snowblind, Thief, DE and Perfect Dark, the more 'intelligent' shooters; gaming still has some hope left. And for dear god; use the fluff Shadowruns setting provides. I don't want another Fire Warrior with half-facts.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Comparing Morro' and DE. ;)

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Man... and some seem to wonder why Bioware is so successful. Hardly no one else is even trying to create a decent rpg.. And finally when they return to the Shadowrun world again, it's only for some stupid fps. Why won't people ever get tired of these kind of games? Oohh well, at least it's cyberpunk, that's postive, I think.

I'll third that.

kirottu said:

Guest Fishboot
I think game will be similar to Morrowind or Deus Ex. Not just a shooter.

That's entirely possible if the developer guys weren't being marketing department precise in their language. I don't want to execute these guys before their trial.