Knights of The Old Republic II

Guest MacleodCorp

Guest MacleodCorp

Dialogue & Replay!

1. 'KotOR I' has a replay value, which the dialogue is not an obsticle. When I play 'KotOR II' more than 20 times, I find the dialogue to become taxing. Do you think this is a problem during replay? Do you think this will prevent you from replaying the game?

2. When playing 'KotOR I', I found that there was allways new dialogue, and the NPCs didn't repeate their dialogues. As you play 'KotOR II', the NPC dialogue keeps repeating. Do you think this will prevent you from replaying the game?

Dialogue & Replay!

1. When I play 'KotOR II' more than 20 times, I find the dialogue to become taxing.

I think if you play ANY game more than 20 times the dialogue will start to become an obstacle. >_<

But in terms of comparing K1 and K2 (which I presume you are), then I'd say the dialogue was more replayable in K2 than K1.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Dialogue & Replay!

1. When I play 'KotOR II' more than 20 times, I find the dialogue to become taxing.

I think if you play ANY game more than 20 times the dialogue will start to become an obstacle. >_<

But in terms of comparing K1 and K2 (which I presume you are), then I'd say the dialogue was more replayable in K2 than K1.

Jeese, 20 times?...do you...go outside?

Guest MacleodCorp
Dialogue & Replay!

Jeese, 20 times?...do you...go outside?

I used it as a figure of speach... lol.. Oh man, if i played the game 20 plus times, I would be in a comma... lol...

The only thing I found annoying in K2's dialogue was the fact that the same lines showed up even after you exhausted them. That was fine early on, but as you went further into the game each party member would have about 8 dialogue trees, with a bunch of exponential dialogues attached to them so it became difficult to remember which one's I'd exhausted completely or not.

I can't remember if K1 had that too, but in either case I wish once a dialogue was used, it disappeared as a choice.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The combat is really boring in both games.  I think the point of replay is see the new outcomes and dialogue options.  If you think dialogue gets in the way, then maybe you shouldn't play RPGs.

That's how I felt both times. Combat was so easy that my entire interest in playing over and over was to explore the dialogue and story. In a sense, combat wasn't even my focus, especially for 90% of the battles that I could win without really even paying attention. They seemed more like tiny speedbumps in my way to learning more about the story.

I mentioned that in a different thread.

Especially given that Obsidian's best games as BIS (PS:T, Fallout series) were pretty verbose IMO. Especially PS:T, which is probably my favourite RPG of all time.

The thing I hated about replaying KOTOR 1 was that I had to go through the tutorial again.

Maybe I'm the only one who felt this way, but replaying KOTOR:1 at all felt like a chore for me, and I didn't finish my second play through. My wife played Female DS, so I got to see that story without playing it again myself.

Maybe I'm the only one who felt this way, but replaying KOTOR:1 at all felt like a chore for me, and I didn't finish my second play through.  My wife played Female DS, so I got to see that story without playing it again myself.

If I wasn't such a huge SW fanboy, I'd maybe have felt the same. But I think the fact that you could atleast get two different endings was enough for me to play 2 times. After that, any of my subsequent play throughs were all due to my fanboyism.

My first playthrough is always a roleplay playthrough, so my choices are a reflection of the evolution of my character.

Basically this lets me playthrough as fullon Light Side and Full on Dark Side to see what's up there.

And usually the 4th playthrough is my trying to find out how to twink my character the absolute mostest.

I don't understand the people who said KOTOR was the greatest game of all time.  I enjoyed it, and recommend it.  It was a pretty good game the first time around, but it's far from perfect.

I do. You're always going to have people who overrate games they like. Just take a browse at the Jade Empire forums. JE was a pretty good game, IMO, but only worth one play through. Yet on those forums you'll find a lot of them who swear by the notion that JE was the greatest masterpiece in computer gaming history.

I liked that in Kotor I the NPCs will start the conversation with you on their own and you know it's about a new topic. While in Kotor II, I just run around and talk to every one on the Ebon Hawk and have to choose from a huge list of dialogues all the time.

I think the starting conversations on their own is a double edged sword.

If you know you're at the next "conversation" point, it's a bit of a drag to just wander around on the planet not doing anything, waiting for them to speak with you.

Also, sometimes they start conversations at the most inapprorpiate times.

REVAN: "Ok, I'll open up with some disabling force powers, while HK lays down a supressing fire. When they are disabled, Bastila and I will move in and finish them off...got it?"

HK-47: "Affirmation: Yes sir, I look forward to blasting the meatbags"

BASTILA: "I've been thinking about that stuff you said earlier...about my Mother. I don't know what to do about her...I guess I still love her, but after all that she put my father through...I don't know. But everything feels so natural around you, and you help me through my tough decisions. Hold me, just for a moment."

REVAN: "Ah...I was thinking on maybe getting out of this no-win situation where we're surrounded at the moment."

BASTILA: "It would seem as though we are always surrounded....should the Jedi feel no love? I'm not sure what I feel towards you..."

HK-47: "Query: Master, may I just shoot these meatbags while you and drama queen sort out your...issues?"

REVAN: "Very well HK"

I think the starting conversations on their own is a double edged sword.

If you know you're at the next "conversation" point, it's a bit of a drag to just wander around on the planet not doing anything, waiting for them to speak with you.

Also, sometimes they start conversations at the most inapprorpiate times.

But in Kotor you also have the option to start a conversation by yourself. You don't need to 'wander around', waiting for a convo. Often, when I'm between two fights and need to restore my force points, I just start talking to someone.

You don't need to 'wander around', waiting for a convo.

Although many of the conversation points did require you to bump into someone on a planet, although same could be said for KOTOR 2.

You can switch that off: some game option in the Feedback menu, I think.

I never remember this option in KOTOR 1. Where exactly do you start in the game then?

You can switch that off: some game option in the Feedback menu, I think.

I never remember this option in KOTOR 1. Where exactly do you start in the game then?

You still start on the Endar Spire, but all the annoying feedback, like how to find your gear or pick a lock, can be switched off. Makes that level a lot faster and less annoying.

Oh I know that.

I turn that stuff off even on my first playthrough :)

Trask still goes on through his stuff, and all in all I find that level to be tedious, since it always plays through the same way.

I would have preferred I could just start on Taris.