Something that's been on my mind

alanschu

How would I "use" one if I already have built in drivers for my Motherboards built in "video" already installed?

Hmm?? No, I am talking about the game.. I got V:TM a little while ago and so far it is a pretty good game.. It would be better yet if my computer had been upgraded some!

image002.gifLancer

How would I "use" one if I already have built in drivers for my Motherboards built in "video" already installed?

Just install your new videocard. Most motherboards will override on-board video if there is a video card in a AGP/PCI-E slot. And then just install drivers for your new video card.

Hmm?? No, I am talking about the game.. I got V:TM a little while ago and so far it is a pretty good game.. It would be better yet if my computer had been upgraded some!

Oh, sorry :)

Just install your new videocard. Most motherboards will override on-board video if there is a video card in a AGP/PCI-E slot. And then just install drivers for your new video card.

AWESOME :)

This one little bit of knowledge (or lack of) was the main excuse I kept using on myself to not get one.

Thanks Ender :)

AWESOME :)

This one little bit of knowledge (or lack of) was the main excuse I kept using on myself to not get one.

Thanks Ender :)

It is possible you might have to uninstall the motherboard one first. To be honest I don't have much experience with them.

I know if I get a new video card from a different manufacturer, I uninstall the old one before putting the new one in.

Really?

You must have a name brand machine I imagine.

I notice that the new drivers for ATI (Catalyst 5.7) also has an ATI driver uninstaller on the same download page, so you could use that to uninstall your ATI driver, should you get an nVidia card.

Probably :)

I'd like to point out I didn't build it, I picked and mixed and matched parts on one of those "we'll build it for you" sites.

I just couldn't afford a video card at the time, so I got a mb with sound, ethernet and video built in.

Hmmm, I bet that like Ender said, especially if you are planning a reformat, you could probably just plunk the card into the slot then and go away.

If you wanted to be absolutely, positively certain that the onboard didn't load up, then you could probably disable it in the BIOS (if that's your thing).

I know my motherboard has onboard video, but I always put in a video card from the get go and it never complains to me :D

That sucks :)

My motherboard CD lets me install them one at time if I want.

It might be possible to circumvent that all in one installer, by finding them on the internet (hoping that Windows XP has a usable Ethernet driver). But that takes time as you'd have to look up the components and whatnot.

:) nonetheless

I'm 99% sure you can just plunk the card in and be fine. You don't have to uninstall the old drivers, since when you're using a new device, it won't be using drivers from a completely different device.

The only other thing you may need to do is go into BIOS and tell it to use the video card rather than onboard, but most will default to the card slot first.

Sounds like it is just easier to buy a brand new top of the line computer. They are so cheap nowadays that for lazy people (like me) that can't be bothered with the research they come as a true blessing.

And wow.. Darque actually sleeps? :p

image002.gifLancer

I believe GURPS was the first major universal system marketed, but that doesn't make it the best.

GURPs really thrives on the disadvantages/advantages system which became a merit/flaw portion of so many other systems.  GURPS isn't a particularly good system.  FUDGE, FUZION, D6 and D20 are probably better ways to go.

All those systems are better than GURPS.. Lemme add one more.. Savage Worlds looks pretty nifty too.

EDIT: I am not too sure that d20 is better than GURPS though :darque:

And I'm pretty sure they're all worse than GURPS... I certainly think that both d20 and d6 are.

I'm 99% sure you can just plunk the card in and be fine.  You don't have to uninstall the old drivers, since when you're using a new device, it won't be using drivers from a completely different device.

The only other thing you may need to do is go into BIOS and tell it to use the video card rather than onboard, but most will default to the card slot first.

Awesome :)

no idea >_<

And I can't reformat and "not" install them again, as it's an all in 1 deal.

Pick up a gamer mag, for $5 they'll have some instructions and a recommendation for doing it. Or just go to their forum and ask questions (or read the FAQ, 'cuase it's bound to be in there).

PC Gamer

PC Format

PC Zone

Or modding mags.

:blink:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT