Anime?

Meshugger

What about Michael Turner?

Dave Finch? Marc Silvestri? Joe Madureira?

For me the mid to late 90's were sort of a Golden Age over here

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

And lets not forget Moebius, M

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I personally prefer Preacher, Transmetropolitan, Lucifer, The Authority, Ultimate X-Men, Watchmen,  Dreamwave Transformers, Sandman, The Ultimates, and Ultimate Spider-Man to any Manga I've read.

This only proves that you have poor taste...

... nothing wrong with that mind you.

Manga has no variety in the artwork, its all the same art.

You're just plain wrong there buddy.

Manga may have been superior to Western comics 20 years ago, but with the coming of Alan Moore, Garth Ennis, Warren Ellis, Brian Michael Bendis, Grant Morrison, Mike Carey, and Mark Miller...

Alan Moore: Liked the Legue of Extraordinary gentlemen...

Garth Ennis, Warren Ellis, Mike Carey, and Mark Miller : Don't know 'em

Brian Michael Bendis: Bwahahahaha...

Grant Morrison: According to my friends WORST writer in X-Men history... Ever !

...Western Comics have surpassed Manga.

Yeah, right...

...In your dreams.

"If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman.

I personally prefer Preacher, Transmetropolitan, Lucifer, The Authority, Ultimate X-Men, Watchmen, Dreamwave Transformers, Sandman, The Ultimates, and Ultimate Spider-Man

That's fine, but just scanning that list speaks volumes about the variety offered in Western serial comics (ie graphic novels, not news panel shorts). Yeah, I know some artists - many European - are starting to do new things with comics, but they're still few and far in-between compared to Japanese artists unless you consider webcomics.

Manga has no variety in the artwork, its all the same art.

Ridiculous. If you had made this argument with respect to anime, I *might* almost agree with you, but manga? Ridiculous. Explore your boundaries, sir, and I'll offer a start:

http://www.manganews.net/

Western Comics have surpassed Manga.

From what I've seen, Western Comics have finally started growing again, in no small part due to the advent of web comics and the intellectual outlet it has given young graphic novelists, who for many years had the choice of doing either super heroes or... Super heroes. Finally we're moving on beyond the dual paradigm of super hero graphics novel and sunday paper comedy shorts, and within reason, I can certainly see Western Comics becoming the equivalent of Manga in the coming years. As for surpassing, that'll depend on the artistic environment. Japan has a very good reception to Manga artists (though not so good anime artists, as you'll find) and many organizations actively promote their work. The West, with regards to Hollywood, also has potential with the latest adaptation of comic books into movies. But it remains to be seen which one is more at ease with the idea of artist innovation, which is elemental to the growth of any medium.

There are doors

Alan Moore: Liked the Legue of Extraordinary gentlemen...

Garth Ennis, Warren Ellis, Mike Carey, and Mark Miller : Don't know 'em

Brian Michael Bendis: Bwahahahaha...

Grant Morrison: According to my friends WORST writer in X-Men history... Ever !

Garth Ennis: Preacher, Punisher

Warren Ellis: The Authority, Transmetropolitan, Global Frequency, Ultimate Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Planetary

Mike Carey: Lucifer

Mark Miller: The Authority, Ultimate X-Men, Chosen, Wanted, Wolverine

Grant Morrison: We3, Animal Man, The Invisibles, JLA

Brian Michael Bendis is hit or miss. Master of writing dialogue though.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I remember being fairly addicted to DBZ when I was a bit older than that age. The psychological appeal of manly warriors with ever escalating powers can do strange things to attract the mind of a boy in that growing stage of pre-pubescence. Much as sci-fi and fantasy provided the avenues for more adolescent excursions of self-definition and empowerment, ending with science/philosophy/literature becoming the centerpiece of a supposedly mature intellect.

Such are the life cycles of fandom, I suppose.

There are doors

Upon recently, i never cared for any anime since i saw "Ghost in the Shell" several (6-7?)years ago. But last week, a friend of mine kept convinced me to try out Hellsing.

...and i was hooked.

After that, i wanted more. So i gave Berserk a chance, which by the way, had the most ruthless ending i've ever experienced. Still, my hunger hasn't been satisfied. While browsing through the net, i've encountered some candidates:

- Naruto

- Scryedo

- Rurouni Kenshin

- Inuyasha

- Cowboy Bebop

- Escaflowne

- Trigun

Has anyone here seen any of these anime? Please do post some feedback on why they're good. It would be appriciated :)

I came too late for this thread. :( But since this is a good change to talk about anime I wont let it stop me. :)

Naruto is good show, but in 143 episodes there

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I wanna watch the version of DBZ with uncensored dub and where half an hour in DBZ time doesnt equal 10 episodes in our time and also where there are no silly episodes where goku learns to drive or saves som edinosaur's eggs

If you don't mind still pictures, then read the manga. I think they had quite a few sexual jokes just in the first chapter. :wub:" Of course, I didn't get it when I was 6.

Could we just change the topic title to something like general comics/animation thread. This thing could have potential.

Has anyone read any Death?

Edit: Meshugger is going to have an interesting year watching and reading all these. :wub: Pysy j

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Edit: Meshugger is going to have an interesting year watching and reading all these.  :- Pysy j

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

one of my favoite scenes from the dragonball series (not z) is the "NO BALLS!" one with bulma and a itty bitty goku :D

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Could we just change the topic title to something like general comics/animation thread. This thing could have potential.

Has anyone read any Death?

Edit: Meshugger is going to have an interesting year watching and reading all these.  :mellow: Pysy j

Devastatorsig.jpg

Did anyone mention Berserk by Kenturo Miura yet? By far my favorite manga.

The artwork, story, character development and action are just amazing.

I believe Dark Horse publishes it in the States. I read the korean translated versions, and the english translations are done fairly well.

They have an animated series too. Not as great as the manga itself but it's close.

I enjoy japanese mangas because they have so much variety to them compared to the super-hero centric western comics. Everything from historical mangas, basketball, judo, gambling, pirates, sci-fi, martial arts and much more are all there just begging to be read.

One of my favorite manga artists is Takehiko Inoue probably most famous for the manga SLAMDUNK. It's a hilarious basketball manga.

He's currently drawing and writing the manga, Vagabond. It's a retelling of Miyamoto Musashi's younger wandering years. It's been awesome so far.

Another favorite of mine is titled, The Fighting. It's a boxing themed manga that spans over 70 volumes and the story still has a way to go! I'm not sure if they have this in the US though. It's been made into a animated series as well though I've neve seen it.

I've been waiting for the next Lucifer Collection to come in at my local Borders, and I've been reading a lot of Priest

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I've been waiting for the next Lucifer Collection to come in at my local Borders, and I've been reading a lot of Priest

Priest is the only Manga I read, and I didn't realize there was a new Lucifer trade, just checked Vertigo's website and it came out last month. I'll have to check Virgin, they're having a 20% off sale...

Devastatorsig.jpg