Anime?

Meshugger

Upon recently, i never cared for any anime since i saw "Ghost in the Shell" several (6-7?)years ago. But last week, a friend of mine kept convinced me to try out Hellsing.

...and i was hooked.

After that, i wanted more. So i gave Berserk a chance, which by the way, had the most ruthless ending i've ever experienced. Still, my hunger hasn't been satisfied. While browsing through the net, i've encountered some candidates:

- Naruto

- Scryedo

- Rurouni Kenshin

- Inuyasha

- Cowboy Bebop

- Escaflowne

- Trigun

Has anyone here seen any of these anime? Please do post some feedback on why they're good. It would be appriciated :huh:

Every post which includes Dragonball Z will ignored.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

samurai champloo

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I vote for..........Slayers! :huh:

It's not on the list, but I vote for it anyway :)

I second that vote.

The series is better than the movies IMHO.

Too bad I've only been able to see 2 episodes of Try.

Of that list I'd go with Rurouni Kenshin and Cowboy Bebop.

Also check Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust,great movie.

Thanks for the replies, could you give some more info about those perticular series? (links, reviews). I don't want to watch a series for the name alone :huh:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Rurouni Kenshin is good, but I liked the prequels better. It has a very nice love story and Kenshin is a bloody killer who chops people's heads in half all the time. :huh:

Cowboy Bebop is very good, too.

[edit] Well then. Kenshin is about a man's redemption from a ruthless assassin. Cowboy Bebop is about a super cool bounty hunter who smokes a lot. Sorry, I don't think that helped much. :) I am bad at summarizing stories.

Naked assassins?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Still, my hunger hasn't been satisfied. While browsing through the net, i've encountered some candidates:

- Naruto

- Scryedo

- Rurouni Kenshin

- Inuyasha

- Cowboy Bebop

- Escaflowne

- Trigun

Has anyone here seen any of these anime? Please do post some feedback on why they're good. It would be appriciated :thumbsup:

It really depends what you like. Action? Comedy? Do you mind old stuff? You get props btw for realising Dragonball Z's crappy.

Here's a useful site for getting an idea what the anime descriptions www.animenfo.com

Naruto - worth watching though it can be draggy in parts. It's mostly about Naruto (kid) growing up in a ninja society with ninja techniques etc with mixed action and comedy. Has its moments during fight scenes, some comedy moments and especially when it can evoke emotion when you feel Naruto's determination.

Scryed - semi-post apocalyptic (no nukes though, natural event). Lots of action and worth watching. Animation's nice - watch it if it's in front of you.

Kenshin - recommended. Samurai flick about guy wanting to give up killing to do good etc.

Inuyasha - haven't watched but it looks old in terms of animation.

Cowboy Bebop - recommended. It's a little old but still good. Mostly modern bounty hunter stuff.

Escaflowne - didn't watch the series so I can't say. Movie was interesting.

Trigun - another "classic" leaning towards the old side. Comedy action. Not sure on this one - watch it if it falls in your lap.

Stuff I personally recommend in rough order (mostly new stuff):

Samurai Champloo - highly recommended. Old skool samurai with a hip hop/modern life theme.

Full Metal Alchemist - story with alchemy transmutation etc.

Gankutsuou (sp?) - Not many people know this one. New stylish/psychadelic take on Count of Monte Cristo. Art's groundbreaking in my book.

Last Exile - flying epic with wars between factions etc.

Samurai 7 - new take on an old story. Mixes samurai stuff with some technology.

Though the series ending is a bit of a letdown. [Evangelion]

That's putting it very lightly. I admit mecha doesn't do anything for me (positive or negative) so most of the story's about the screwed up relationships between the characters - mostly from the perspective of the much (personally) loathed Shinji (ie coining the phrase "Shinji moment"). Watch it if you like "dunno wtf happened so it's whatever you want it to be" kind of ending.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Mech combat doesn't interest me either.

Evangelion features a large meta-plot heavily rooted with Judeo-Christian mythology and the end of the world, mixed with good interpersonal storylines.

From each episode to the next I was dying to know what was going to happen.

Escaflowne was good, Trigun I haven't finished yet but its good once you get into it, the beginning is a little cheesy but it develops well. Fushigi Yuugi is one of my favorites. The constant "Tamahome..." "Miyaka..." gets annoying but I've never seen an anime that gets you more attached to the characters than this one. Fushigi Yuugi is about 2 girls being sucked into a book and inside the book they discover they're mediums for ancient gods, and if they can collect the various guardians for their gods they can unleash their powers to gain wishes. Kinda like Dragonball only the dragonballs are people, and theres a great plot. Anyway, one girl is guided by a benevolent king, and the other girl is manipulated into thinking the other girl is her enemy and left her to be raped by this really evil guy who wants to use her for her potential powers. Its great and I'd buy it on DVD if it wasn't 400 bucks for the set.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

What, no Blue Gender or Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex? :thumbsup:

Shame on all of you! :angry:

Personally, I liked Inuyasha, since I'm a soft-hearted fool at the end of the day, and Full Metal Alchemist is just.......for lack of a better word, interesting, a good interesting. Samurai Champloo is good for a laugh, and the fast-paced action sequences are well done.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Upon recently, i never cared for any anime since i saw "Ghost in the Shell" several (6-7?)years ago. But last week, a friend of mine kept convinced me to try out Hellsing.

...and i was hooked.

After that, i wanted more.

Anime?, Suggestions....

I recommend all of Hiyao Miyazaki's movies. all these are on dvd now.

Nausica

Escaflowne

Ranma 1/2

Inu Yasha

Evangelion (hentai stuff is optional)

Tenchi Muyo

Vampire Hunter D is good too

Trigun is good fun and interesting near the end

If you like martial arts try the origional Dragon ball (Z and GT became more about "I have more power" "NO ME" "ME" "ME" and so on and so forth.)

Kenshin is good but i have yet to see the entire series.

Gundam Wing is good but a little bit of school boy's taking on the world, The older series like 0079 and 0080 are better (those are gundams too).

S-cry-ed is a... unique experiance.

If you like outerspace, go for Outlaw star.

And for those looking for an Amalgam of Tenchi, and Evangelion, go for Dual... It's actually quite funny.

That's all this anime freak can come up with. :ph34r: :ph34r: :D

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I liked Fushigi Yuugi too.  It has good inter-character relationships and is quite funny.  It does get draggy though when they keep harping on the girls etc.

The various character death scenes are the closest I've come to getting teary eyed over movie characters. No other movie or series has managed to do that, and its the reason I suggest this series to anyone who asks for anime suggestions.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

There is no real point to Dragon Ball Z. It is just one over the top battle after another with no real drama behind it. People fly in the sky and exchange meaningless blows until someone goes Sayan mode and shoots "end-move" blast.

Eventually the characters can learn to go Super-Sayan, float into space and shoot nuclear blasts out of their ass.

Each battle is bigger in scale than the previous one, but they play out the same.