Tekken Five

You're just jealous your hand-eye coordination has decreased with age.  :p

Sadly that's true. In my younger days I could mash buttons with the best of them. Now my digits cramp up after pressing more than a 3-button combo. ;)

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Guest Fishboot

I just wish ping times would cooperate with the razor-thin response times of proper fighters. I love fighting games, but U.S. arcades are dead everywhere but California and "playing with your buddies" is only fun for a short time. Using a good fighting game for friendly competition is like using a machine gun as a flyswatter.

Those dance games are dumb <_< they arent based on real musical rhythm at all but some nutty japanese programmer's sense of timing. I think this maybe ingrained in the japanese psyche - no matter wher i go i always see one japanese guy/girl completely rinsing the machine.

Those dance games are dumb <_< they arent based on real musical rhythm at all but some nutty japanese programmer's sense of timing. I think this maybe ingrained in the japanese psyche - no matter wher i go i always see one japanese guy/girl completely rinsing the machine.

... Because no-one is ever going to attempt to do fourteen consecutive extreme-twister-contortionist moves to a four-four beat.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Things I remember from those countless bouts of TTT on my PS2 way back when:

* Ridiculously long combos.

* Eddie was the king of buttonmashing.

* Xiaoyu was hot.

Seriously. I played this game for quite a long time, enjoyed it, and then switched over to DoA. Never looked back. Tekken is fun, but those mind-numbing 10 hit combos and the even worse grappling combos courtesy of Nina and King were just hell. That, and that I find the pacing of DoA to be far superior to the pacing of Tekken.

Still a good game, and Tekken Ball (which sadly wasn't included in TTT) owned all. Good game that's given me quite a lot of good fun through the years. But then again, I had a rather good sparring partner in my friend- it would've gotten dull fast without him.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

I'd rather play the new DoA, thank you.

Brad Wong 4evah!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Guest Fishboot
Seriously. I played this game for quite a long time, enjoyed it, and then switched over to DoA. Never looked back. Tekken is fun, but those mind-numbing 10 hit combos and the even worse grappling combos courtesy of Nina and King were just hell. That, and that I find the pacing of DoA to be far superior to the pacing of Tekken.

Most fighting game snobs would put the "depth" level of the 3D fighter franchises as Virtua Fighter>>Tekken/Soul Caliber>DOA. I personally find the overtness of the rock-scissors-paper system in DOA (as attack-reverse-throw) to feel kind of inorganic, although the system was lifted from VF (but VF has so much more stuff that the dynamics of RPS end up being played out on this abstract plane of technical skill). I'm biased because the only one of those games I ever played "competitively" (local tournaments, etc.) was Tekken (Tag - T4 I never really got started on and I haven't played a game of Tekken 5)). It always kills me when magazines have the gall to talk about the depth of a fighter in a review when I could play a game competitively for months, win consistently, and yet still know I would be easily crushed by any of the national caliber players (or, God forbid, international caliber) but be told that the game I was playing was shallow. Those guys genuinely know nothing - they should grade the graphics and the extras then have the courage to admit that's all they can talk about.

Now are you playing DOA Ultimate online? Or one of the non-online ones? I'm losing hope that fighting games will survive (in the US, at least) this coming generation of consoles. All of the controllers are being geared for FPS games with lots of tiny buttons and analog triggers and thumbsticks that are useless for "classic" fighters, which means that fighting games have to be so good that they convince people to purchase alternative controllers - that'll never happen for new players, which combined with the death of arcades puts fighters in a tailspin. DOA Ultimate's arcade mode online play sounded messianic at first, but I haven't heard much about it since then (never had the chance to play it myself).

Most fighting game snobs would put the "depth" level of the 3D fighter franchises as Virtua Fighter>>Tekken/Soul Caliber>DOA.

I must admit that I haven't played Virtual Fighter, so I have no idea wheter I would agree or disagree with the above. However, this raises an interesting question of wheter more "depth" as in attacks, combos and so on really translates into a game more conducive for competitions and the like.

DoA might be the most shallow of the above games, but that's not to say there's less room for improvement in said game. CS isn't very deep when compared to, say, Flashpoint (though I doubt Flashpoint is played out competitively on the internet to any large degree)- that's not to say that one can master CS enough to face off with the better players in the field any faster than you can master Flashpoint to do the same.

I personally find the overtness of the rock-scissors-paper system in DOA (as attack-reverse-throw) to feel kind of inorganic, although the system was lifted from VF (but VF has so much more stuff that the dynamics of RPS end up being played out on this abstract plane of technical skill). I'm biased because the only one of those games I ever played "competitively" (local tournaments, etc.) was Tekken (Tag - T4 I never really got started on and I haven't played a game of Tekken 5)).

I played TTT for quite a long time with my friend (his level of skill was rather close to mine through the whole time so the difficulty was always adequate)- then we switched over to DoA2 once I found it cheap in the local store. Personally, I like the rock-paper-scissors system. It might be a bit too simplistic, true- but at least DoA2 shifted the focus a bit from King's and Nina's overblown combo-fests.

It always kills me when magazines have the gall to talk about the depth of a fighter in a review when I could play a game competitively for months, win consistently, and yet still know I would be easily crushed by any of the national caliber players (or, God forbid, international caliber) but be told that the game I was playing was shallow.

That I fully agree with.

Now are you playing DOA Ultimate online?

I live in the outback, so I have no means with which to play, sadly. There's not even any fighting game tournaments in close proximity to where I live (no wonder, really, the only place I can think of that would possibly house such tournaments would be Stockholm)- well, apart from Nintendo's annual nintendo tournament featuring the odd bout of Super Smash Brothers. Online gaming seems to be a promising venture as far as giving fighting games the longevity they so desperately need, but as you said, lag continues to be an issue.

If the PS3 can resolve these issues and if I somehow happen to actually get online using the thing, it'll be a sure purchase as far as I'm concerned. Fighting games are very good fun, really.

All of the controllers are being geared for FPS games with lots of tiny buttons and analog triggers and thumbsticks that are useless for "classic" fighters, which means that fighting games have to be so good that they convince people to purchase alternative controllers - that'll never happen for new players, which combined with the death of arcades puts fighters in a tailspin. DOA Ultimate's arcade mode online play sounded messianic at first, but I haven't heard much about it since then (never had the chance to play it myself)

I found the PS2 controller to be adequate for fighting games, and from the look of it, the PS3 controllers will keep some of the design of its predecessor. Never could stand the XBOX design, though. I had lots of difficulties with DoA3- even though it was basically the same game (nearly identical control scheme) with slighly improved graphics.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

I'm not so much of a beatumup player. But my wife and her sister are, and they are pretty dismissive about DoA.

Well, DoA, as fun as it is, sucks on one count: Team Ninja are a bunch of perverted bastards, and it shows.

And the 360 sucks. I hate it, because M$ is the CabalCo of the real world.

Chun Li was a sex symbol?

I mean, just because she wear's a scantily clad outfit, in in later iterations of the game when she does her fireball basically has her skirt flip up to expose her bare bum does not make her a sex symbol.

I was literally left with my jaw hanging when one of my roommate's friends (whom I don't particularly care for BTW) made the comment "I don't see why they don't just let you unlock the ability to remove their clothes" when he was watching the trailer for DoA. And he was dead serious.

Most beatemup games feature women as sex symbols.

Sure, but DoA just goes over the top. The lack of subtlety just gets irritating, frankly.

I'm here to beat some ass, not look at it all-day long as that ninja girl does backflip after backflip after backflip. :thumbsup:

Guest Fishboot
Most beatemup games feature women as sex symbols.

I thought beat 'em up was the accepted nomenclature for double dragon/river city ransom/dynasty warriors style games, with street fighter/tekken/marvel vs. capcom types being called fighters or fighting games. Maybe I missed a nerd memo.

I remember that. Tecmo Japan supposedly sued the team who made the modification.

Remember lads; if ever should such a contraption cross thy path: only for research

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds