Scientists find planet with 3 suns

Diogo Ribeiro

Well, all the report says is that the previous (wobble) method for planet detection didn't handle solar systems with multiple stars very well.

Now Konachi's (body velocity) system will allow the more common multi-star systems to be checked for planets.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

This doesn't seem all that surprising. There is nothing that disallows a planet from having multiple stars around it, it just wouldn't likely be habitable from our understanding of astronomy.

However, if the planet was within the Roche limit of one of those stars, then you can say "goodbye planet."

image002.gifLancer

My knowledge of Gas planets is rather rare, but surely there must be ground somewhere on the planet, or is it just made out of pure... gas? :wacko:

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

We assume the planet is pure gas because we measure the gravitational effects we can observe from the planet and then calculate what the mass of the planet must be. Given the planet's size, and low mass, we then assume a low density, and thusly a gas planet.

However, there are major problems with how we are measuring gravitational effects in space, and we have to come up with random fixes to broken physics, like dark matter and dark energy.

Really, it's just a guess.

It's made of gas. They shouldn't really use phrases like "If you stood on the planet's surface..." - they're trying to make the story more accessible, but it's just misleading. You can't stand on the surface.

The planet might, like Jupiter and Saturn, have solid moons.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

It might have a solid core, you might be able to stand on that, providing you could stand the intense gravity, although i am just assuming the three sun planet is massive.

Unless much of the material in that system is taken up by the stars...(or something......It's late[early] so have mercy)

It's made of gas.  They shouldn't really use phrases like "If you stood on the planet's surface..." - they're trying to make the story more accessible, but it's just misleading.  You can't stand on the surface.

The planet might, like Jupiter and Saturn, have solid moons.

Well, given the huge size of the planet, it is reasonable to assume that a certain depth, the pressure is enough to liquify the gas, effectively creating a liquid surface. But you could not stand on it anyway, unless you were... Tha Jesus! :ermm:

It might have a solid core, you might be able to stand on that, providing you could stand the intense gravity, although i am just assuming the three sun planet is massive.

Yep. It's assumed that gas giants have a solid metallic core, needed to explain their magnetic fields. Nobody knows for sure though.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.