NHL is back

Titosros

Wow so what from what I've read now the players basically asked Goodenow to resign. To me I think that is very lame. This is playing out like tonights episode of Big Brother... :-

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I see your point. His views at the onset of the labor breakdown weren't that great. But at the same point, don't you think these players who basically broke the bank thanks to him be showing a little more gratitude. From barely 400 grand a year to 1.8 mil in about a decade? That's crafty.

I'm not a huge fan of the guy, but he did make the NHLPA a juggernaut. Ted Saskin as new president? He seems like a featherweight compared to someone with a huge set of brass balls like Goodenow. I think that buy replacing the head the players think maybe they have someone they can keep a closer reign on... :devil:

and please god don't let edmonton sign Chris Gratton!!!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Word on the streets is we're looking for a top defencemen like Neidermeyer, as well as a center (which we desperately need).

The names I read in the paper for Edmonton today for offense have been Paul Kariya, Eric Lindros, and Mark Messier.

I'm not sure about our goalie situation. I think if we still have Markannen and Conklin, we should be at least ok. Nothing spectacular, but both goalies could be starters on other teams, so it's not like the goalie situation is in dire straights.

Plus Conklin beat the crap out of Atlanta's goalie one game :D It was crazy, I had never seen an all out brawl on the ice live on TV before, let alone while I was at the arena (w00t).

At first the goalies weren't doing anything, as I think Bishai got tossed into the Thrasher's bench but was still throwing punches to the guy that slammed him in there across the boards. Georges pretty much took out two separate guys, and Chimera was flailing away. Suddenly the goalies start skating around, kind of like "Hey, I suppose we should get in on this or something" after waiting for about 5 minutes. They met at centre ice and had a good little scrap, but Conklin knocked the other guy down to the ice.

It was hilarious listening to the overhead announcer read off the penalties, finishing off with "that's XX penalty minutes for Edmonton and YY penalty minutes for Atlanta by my count. I don't think I missed anyone."

It was kind of funny because Atlanta's starter goalie didn't return after the first period, and after the fights and the game misconducts, Atlanta had to play the remaining couple of minutes in the game with no goalie and Stohl got an empty netter.

Not that it matter, Edmonton was beating up on Atlanta.

That was a highly entertaining game. It's too bad Conklin ended up breaking his hand in the fight and couldn't really hold his stick like he should've for the next few games after that . The fisticuffs were mutch better in that game than the [spoiler Mike Comrie/spoiler] versus Ilya Kovalchuk hairpulling match from a few years back.

I spoilered that part out of respect for the Edmontonians on the board.

And I'll send you flowers if Neidermeyer makes it to the Oilers. There just isn't a chance on that ever becoming a reality. He'd rather play for the (ugh) Flames.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Yeah. I'm not holding my breath on Neidermeyer either :shifty:

And I think that a Paul Kariya/Eric Lindros would do well in Edmonton because they'd be surrounded by a bunch of enthusiastic players, and would be the primary option on their team. Both would certainly give them a bigger threat on the power play, although I'm reserved against Lindros given his penchant for receiving concussions.

I'd like Messier just for nostaliga sake personally. He'd still find a way to contribute, particularly as a leader on the team IMO. He'd get fans in the seats that's for sure (me anyways :p).

Do you think that Kariya would sign for his 1.8 million or whatever it was in 03/04? I think if Kevin Lowe had his thinking cap on he'd be more pressed to go after Brian Rafalski than Scottyboy. He's not huge but is cheaper and puts up decent numbers.

I think that if Messier took his last hurrah in Edmonton, nobody would lose. It would be great for the team and even better for the city. But at the same time I think that between Mess and Mike York both have a real penchant for injuries. Then again you can't name an Oiler center that hasn't. Every person I know ragged on Adam Oates for not putting up any numbers last year. But that guy basically handled every major faceoff duty that the team had, and did it great. And he brought out a 20 goal season( albeit 80% of them were ugly but hard fought) from Ethan Moreau...

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

'd like Messier just for nostaliga sake personally.  He'd still find a way to contribute, particularly as a leader on the team IMO.  He'd get fans in the seats that's for sure (me anyways :shifty:).

I think it would be cool is Messier ended his career in Edmonton....BUT, I worry a little bit on how his presence would affect the team. He is a great leader they say, but his presence can also be a bit disruptive; his stint here in Vancouver was a disaster. I'm not sure how much blame I'd actually put on Messier for what happened here, but some of the stories you hear really portray Messier as a cancer rather than a leader...who knows though.

Wasn't Mike Keenan your coach at the time for that as well? I can't see him helping any. And the way Edmonton plays some nights, they need someone to shove boots in their asses.

And the old Messier doesn't divide a dressing room as much as the younger one did. I remember there were rumblings that the Rangers wanted to be more of Eric Lindros' team in 03/04. It's true that Messier has a tendency to weed out players that are floaters, but the only players in Edmonton that would really have to worry would be Ales Hemsky and big number 27.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Wasn't Mike Keenan your coach at the time for that as well?  I can't see him helping any.  And the way Edmonton plays some nights, they need someone to shove boots in their asses. 

Yup he sure was.

Actually, though Keenan gets a lot (and I mean A LOT) of flack here, I actually think he was crucial for the Canucks development into an elite team. He got rid of a lot of "dead wood" (ie Gelinas, Maclean) and was responsible for getting Bertuzzi. I think the team needed somebody to gut it, and who better than Iron Mike!?

And the old Messier doesn't divide a dressing room as much as the younger one did.  I remember there were rumblings that the Rangers wanted to be more of Eric Lindros' team in 03/04.  It's true that Messier has a tendency to weed out players that are floaters, but the only players in Edmonton that would really have to worry would be Ales Hemsky and big number 27.

Yeah, it's hard to say what stories here are true and what is gossip. I know a few guys like Odjick were quite vocal about their dislike of Messier...supposedly Linden wasn't too fond of him either. But then you have guys like Naslund who credit Messier for their success...

I read a bio about Messier over the summer. It wasn't a bad read but I can't remember the title. Linden really did get the short end of the stick in that deal, but you're right, look at how it turned out. Linden will probably retire as a Canuck, which should please the hockey gods. As for the Vancouver, I hope they ditch the black and red jerseys and wear the flying V shirts for home games this year.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I personally was hoping for a Mike Modano :D

If not just for the fact that Edmontonians hated him for being so good on Dallas, but would surely come to love having him zip around at a hundred miles an hour on OUR team :shifty:

Although I'd be surprised if the Stars didn't hold on to him.

After fighting the urge to pick Modano in my hockey pool for three years, I gave in and added him to my roster last time around. Thats all I have to say about that.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

"see your point. His views at the onset of the labor breakdown weren't that great. But at the same point, don't you think these players who basically broke the bank thanks to him be showing a little more gratitude. From barely 400 grand a year to 1.8 mil in about a decade? That's crafty.

I'm not a huge fan of the guy, but he did make the NHLPA a juggernaut. Ted Saskin as new president? He seems like a featherweight compared to someone with a huge set of brass balls like Goodenow. I think that buy replacing the head the players think maybe they have someone they can keep a closer reign on..."

The bottom line is Goodenow didn't deliver like he promised. Just like when a player doesn't perform, or a coach/gm fails to deliver; they get canned/traded as soon as possible. That's what happened to Goodenow. He said no way no how the players would have to deal with a cap, and here we are a year later and the players have to deal with a cap in spite of missing an entire year. Goodenow failed therefore he is canned. Simple as that.

"Linden really did get the short end of the stick in that deal, but you're right, look at how it turned out."

Linden is just a crybaby who got upset because he lost his captaincy to the greatest captain of all time. And, oh, most Canucks at the time were pro Mess. Only Linden fanboys would support Linden's temper tantrum. I like Linden myself as he's a solid player but if a team has to choose between him and Mess as captain it's a very easy choice. It's just too bad that Mess' years in Vancouver weren't the best. I know that Naslund at least was happy to have the hcance to play with the Moose as he says he learned a lot from 11.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I read in the newspaper that Detroit has offered Henrik Zetterberg ~700.000$ for his new contract! There's probably zero chance that Zetterberg would leave Detroit, but if there's a god in heaven, please make him move to Toronto! For that kind of money, he's a steal! A young, talented kid with a very bright future.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

And, oh, most Canucks at the time were pro Mess. Only Linden fanboys would support Linden's temper tantrum. I like Linden myself as he's a solid player but if a team has to choose between him and Mess as captain it's a very easy choice.

This city was PUMPED when Messier first signed here. I mean people thought he was the second coming...all the negative feelings for Messier started when Linden was traded and the stories started coming out about Linden and Messier's relationship. Of course the Canucks' dismal record didn't help matters either.

Linden is loved like a son here so yeah, you're right there are people who will hate Messier (and especially Keenan) for trading Linden...even though the Linden trade got the Canucks Bertuzzi. I persoanlly think Linden was a bit of a baby back then as well...story is he used to get upset because Keenan yelled at him in front of his teammates in the dressing room, and Messier wouldn't stick up for him.

"Had the Leafs bought Nolan out today, they would have had to pay him $3.8 million, an amount that would not have gone against this season's $39-million salary cap. But Nolan claimed that an injury suffered in a game in April, 2004 was misdiagnosed by Leaf doctors and that his current knee problems are directly associated with that injury. Injured players can be bought out, but only for the entire amount of their contract. Since Nolan maintained he was injured all through last year's lockout season, he also wants to be paid the $6.5 million that he would have made last year had he spent the entire season on the injured list."

Oh yeah. Players aren't greedy at all.. Some people. :ermm:

Source: http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...d=1122587412905

That would be the best turn of events evar.

Get out of my poor, poor NHL-thread, you nasty curling lovers!!1!!one