NHL is back

Titosros

"Players shouldn't do stupid stuff like sign long term deals if they don't think that that dollar value is going to remain appropriate. Honour the contract, since whatever team you play for is going to have to."

It's not neccesary about money. Perhaps, the team is treating the player like crap, or the player isn't gettinga long with coaches. Afterall, if you can't get along with your boss the business relationship is doomed to failure which is why either the coach or player needs to be removed from the situation.

"You liken Pro Sports to any other job so quickly. If a contractor decides to just not work despite having a contract, he gets sued. All sorts of legal ramifications come in. In the layman's job market, contractors don't just "hold out." So, if the NHL is just like any other business, why are their employees allowed to hold out?"

There are ramifications to holding out.

A. You get paid NOTHING.

B. YOu ar elikely not to get a long termd eal with any other team ever.

C. Your contract is owned by the team for the specified years so your source of income is nullifed. ie. You are effedtively screwed employmen wise in your chosen field for x years.

So, to say there is no ramifications for holding out is plain old fashion silliness.

And, oh, yet again while the NHL is 'like any other business' as with everything it isn't all black and white. Yet again, you accuse me of seeing in black and white but it seems you are the one with that problem.

Go figure.

"Not always the case."

99.9% of the time. That's close enough to always for me.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It's not neccesary about money. Perhaps, the team is treating the player like crap, or the player isn't gettinga long with coaches. Afterall, if you can't get along with your boss the business relationship is doomed to failure which is why either the coach or player needs to be removed from the situation.

Then. Don't. Sign. A. Long. Term. Deal.

A. You get paid NOTHING

Clearly finances aren't a concern, otherwise they wouldn't have held out to begin with. A small price to pay for getting a bigger paycheque.

And that's it? Just no paycheque? Try being an independent contractor and just deciding that you don't want to work anymore because the contract is "unfair." See how long it takes before he gets sued. Just another indication that the world of professional sports is not like any other job.

B. YOu ar elikely not to get a long termd eal with any other team ever.

Tell Alexei Yashin that. Although you criticized me for criticizing a team that signs a player who has a history of holding out to a long term deal.

And, oh, yet again while the NHL is 'like any other business' as with everything it isn't all black and white. Yet again, you accuse me of seeing in black and white but it seems you are the one with that problem.

Because arguing in any other way is lost on you. If I didn't, you'd continue to point out obscure examples.

If you hadn't noticed...I'm arguing like you do.

99.9% of the time. That's close enough to always for me.

Proof?

The proof is in the pudding as they say.

"Clearly finances aren't a concern, otherwise they wouldn't have held out to begin with. A small price to pay for getting a bigger paycheque."

Funny. If they're holding out because they want more money it's illogical as you are losing money anyways. Go figure.

I just wanted to post a picture I think is.. romantic.

Sundin_Alfie_250.jpg

Just look at that cuddle Sundin gives to Alfie.. And they both look so happy :)

AWW CUTE!

I love that the NHL is back!!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Ah, teh anticipation grows. The Nhl (hate the new logo) released the new schedule today.

http://www.nhl.com/schedules/index.html

And it looks like JoJo Thornton doesn't like his offer from the Bruins. You know, I can really see a lot of these top players pricing themselves out of work. It's going to be fun watching teams with 20 500g players and one superstar.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Ah, teh anticipation grows.  The Nhl (hate the new logo) released the new schedule today. 

I tried to hate the new logo, but I failed. I honestly think it suits the 'new' NHL very well, since it looks stronger, simpler and less gaudy (whatever that has to do with the new NHL). It looks like a massive piece of steel, engraved only with the letters N, H and L. Lovely. I'd almost go as far as to call it a swedish style :p

The old crest did more for me. This new one reminds me of my junior high school logo. Plus, this one will probably appeal to more colorblind people... :p

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Alas, poor Bob Goodenow has decided to step down as head of the NHLPA. It must be tough having to eat so much crow. At least he should be able to live comfortably on his own buyout... :nuke:

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Why he did very good. He got ****ty players, and crippled retirees more money and screwed the actual great players people pay to see. GREAT LOGIC BY ALL!

Hopefully now, The Great Expansion Thief Tyrant will join him in retirement; but that's doubtful.

P.S. I was just about to share this news. LOL You jerk!

Goodenow's main fault was he overestimated the players' resolve. Supposedly he told them it would take a minimum of a season-and-a-half before the owners started to waiver...unfortunately for Bob the players didn't have that long of a fight in them, even though they told him initially they did. I think if the players had told him they would accept a cap/linkage last year Bob would have gotten it done.

Though maybe he can be faulted for not realizing soon enough that the league was in some trouble, and changes needed to be made, but that's more a personal opinion.

Why he did very good.

Yeah, he did so good he had to step down with "only" three years left on his contract. Also, he promised they would never accept "cost certainty" and a salary cap. They accepted both AND took a 24% salary rollback! Oh yeah, he did GREAT!!1!11

Bob was very good for the players at the beginning of his career, but (just like Fidel Castro) he lost direction somewhere along the way and ended up being a burden. Now if only Bettman could follow his lead and step down too. I think most of the players feel too much of an animosity towards Gary for him to sit there and continue his quest.

I never thought in my life I'd see any sort of relation from hockey to Cuba.

Now that Bettman has, for all intents and purposes, won this fight, I can't see him stepping down anytime soon. Since a majority of the owners were on the side of Gary from the getgo, it will probably take quite an event to unseat him from his roost... :thumbsup:

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

It's going to be fun watching the old 'big money' teams scramble to fit players into their budget. Some of the teams are at 20 million with like 6 players signed. That makes me laugh.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I never thought in my life I'd see any sort of relation from hockey to Cuba. 

I couldn't help myself! :shifty: I mean, in the beginning, Guevara and Castro were good for the people of Cuba. Then Guevara was murdered and Castro became crazy and paranoid and I don't think anyone nowadays thinks he's good for the people of Cuba.

Goodenow helped hockey players immensely in the beginning. When he started, the owners were taking like 75-80% of the revenues. The players were just trade goods. Goodenow changed the way the league views its players (even the not so good players) but somewhere along the ride he must have thought of it as a personal mission or something. I mean, why fight for more when an independent report states that player salaries are eating up 76% of the revenues? It's just insane. Or greedy beyond belief.

I wouldn't bet on seeing Castro resign though.