NHL is back

Titosros

too much arguing to read the whole topic. so Im just gonna put my 2 cents in on the NHL. I like the new salary cap, it gives us Winnipegers hope once again for the jets....even tho we might not be able to call them that if we do get an NHL team back. hopefully ticket prices will drop. and I also think that as a Canadian game NHL should be owned by Canadian people....kinda like the president of the U.S.A has to be american sorta deal. and I think there are a few 2 many teams that are in areas that the people could care less about hockey and they should either be moved or taken out of the league.

"hopefully ticket prices will drop."

They might short term; but long term they won't.

" and I also think that as a Canadian game NHL should be owned by Canadian people"

It's not a Canadian game. That's a myth. The US has been involved in the NHL for decades. Afterall, 4 of the 'original six' are Amerikan. Only a bigoted and arrogant Kanadian would actually think that we own the sport or the league.

"....kinda like the president of the U.S.A has to be american sorta deal."

Completely different scenario.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

My season tickets last go around weren't too expensive. About 4500 for premium seating for 41 games. It comes out to ~120/game which is less than I'd consume in a nice night out to dinner/drinking with the wife. (not counting preseason games and other "perks" as they call it just the 41 games... )

Not just that, but LA got two picks in the top fifteen ( I think). Just wait , Toronto will trade their pick for the skeletal corpse of Rocket Richard... :blink:

I think Florida will do much better this year anyway. Two words: Jacques Martin.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Not just that, but LA got two picks in the top fifteen ( I think). Just wait , Toronto will trade their pick for the skeletal corpse of Rocket Richard

Would be nice to finally get some youth on that team!

"hopefully ticket prices will drop."

They might short term; but long term they won't.

" and I also think that as a Canadian game NHL should be owned by Canadian people"

It's not a Canadian game. That's a myth. The US has been involved in the NHL for decades. Afterall, 4 of the 'original six' are Amerikan. Only a bigoted and arrogant Kanadian would actually think that we own the sport or the league.

"....kinda like the president of the U.S.A has to be american sorta deal."

Completely different scenario.

LOL easy buddy, A canadian invented it therefor its a canadian game, I wasn't saying americans shouldn't have anything to do with it..or stay out of it. My favorite team is American, and the president of the nhl is american, which is what I ment by owns it, and no need to start callin names. I do admit I should have worded it better as to not upset you or send you the wrong message and Im sorry I did. But I would however appreciate if you spelt Canadian and American properly, its somewhat dissrespectful not 2. but if not thats okay 2. And I might be arrogant but im not a biggit. Im quite proud to be Canadian and try almost everyday to find differences between Canadians and Americans.

CRAP. Toronto deserves Crosby! If they could get him, his tender age of 17 would lower the average age of the Toronto roster from 42 to 41.6!!1! We'd feel like youngsters again!

Oh well. Better luck next time.. in 10 years (or so, when the next phenomenon appears).

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I must say that I really disagree with some of the rule changes that they have made. I really dislike the idea that all overtime ties will be solved with shootouts and with 3 players? Why 3? Why not stick with 5 like every other shoot out? <_<

I also don't like restrictions on goalies playing the puck. They talk about wanting to increase the goal scoring and then institute a rule that makes it so that goalies are always in front of their net and can't play the puck behind the net, or they are called for delaying the game. <_<

So Pittsburgh wins the lottery.  Good for them, they need all the help they can get.At least TO didn't get it... :thumbsup:

I still hope the Penguins move to Winnepeg like was rumored not too long ago. The Jets need a comeback.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Mike Keenan is still very hands on in his capacity as GM. The Panthers need to resign Luongo and Jokkinen if they're going to make any noise this season.

Pittsburgh... Mario needs to go back to the owner's box and stop messing around with the team. He should have left Fleury in there all of last season instead of sending him down to the minors. Major shot to the kid's confidence. Hopefully he comes up big this season. I'd love to see Marty Straka back with the Pens.

On another note. Looks like the Sabres have come up with an interesting way to bring folks back to the game.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050723/1062349.asp

The bumper sticker the Buffalo Sabres mail out today says it all: "The Future Starts This Fall."

The Sabres are skating into a new era, made official in Friday's long-awaited announcement that the National Hockey League returns this fall after a yearlong absence.

That new era features a salary cap to restore competitive balance among teams, rule changes to open up the game, a new partnership with the league's players and a new marketing wrinkle being launched only in Buffalo:

A variable-pricing ticket plan to maximize revenues and increase attendance at HSBC Arena. Season ticket prices also will be slashed for the arena's two lower levels.

The Sabres are entering giddy times, following a tumultuous three years that included the franchise being taken over by the league, going through bankruptcy, searching for a new owner and enduring a season-long work stoppage.

"This is the birth of something that will be significant," Sabres managing partner Larry Quinn said of the team's new era. "We're opening the door a crack to look to our future."

No longer, Sabres officials believe, do they have to wonder day-to-day whether they can survive.

"In theory," Quinn said of the new NHL, "it makes this franchise viable - a franchise that can stand on its two legs and last forever."

A centerpiece for that new day will be the way the Sabres market their tickets.

Almost identical to the price structure the Sabres unveiled last July, the new ticket policy will see season ticket prices slashed between 12 percent and 28 percent in 100 and 200 Level seats.

"You have to treat your season-ticket holders as your best customers," Quinn said. "We didn't treat them right. We were a lot like the airlines: We took our most loyal customers and made them pay the highest price."

The new pricing plan is designed to protect season ticket holders. None will sit next to someone who got a box office ticket at a cheaper price. And the 100 Level season ticket prices are lower than when HSBC Arena opened in 1996.

"To me, the most telling thing is you can be in a center-ice lower-level seat for $49 (for a season ticket)," Quinn said. "That seat would cost upwards of $200 in Toronto or New York."

Sabres officials have no idea how much fan resentment over the season-long lockout will continue. They do believe they can build up their season ticket base, although that may take a while. Fans have put deposits on more than 7,000 such tickets.

"A good NHL franchise ought to have 12,000 season-ticket holders," Quinn said. "Ultimately, we think Buffalo can support that figure."

The Sabres are believed to be the first professional sports team to offer variable prices for box office tickets - based on the opponent, the day of the week and the time of the year. No one knows whether other NHL franchises will follow suit.

Here's how variable pricing will work: Each of the Sabres 41 home games - no Rochester game has been finalized - would be designated Gold, Silver, Bronze or Value, depending on how desirable the game is.

So a person buying a box office ticket for a Gold game, say against Toronto, would pay anywhere from almost double to more than four times the price for a Value game, say Carolina on a Tuesday night in November.

For example, a 100 Level III seat behind the goal would cost $80 at the box office for a Gold game, $47 for Silver, $32 for Bronze and $29 for Value. That seat would cost a season ticket holder the same $29 charged for a Value game.

The variable pricing is designed to lure more fans who can't afford top prices. For 33 of the 41 home games - all but the Gold games - customers will pay less at the box office for lower-level seats than they did in the 2003-04 season.

Sabres officials emphasized that the lower season ticket prices and the variable pricing are designed to increase revenue, not to downsize under the league's new leaner economic system.

The team is relying on basic supply-and-demand economics. If the Maple Leafs, with their huge fan base, easily sell out HSBC Arena, it makes sense to increase that ticket price. And if Nashville draws a sparse crowd on a fall weeknight, it makes sense to offer a lower price that can fill many of those empty seats.

A family of four could attend a Value game for $40 or $68 in the least expensive areas of the 300 Level, a cost Quinn compared to going to the movies.

With the NHL schedule expected to be released next week, the Sabres know they will play four home games against each divisional rival, two more against the other conference teams and one each against Pacific Division teams.

The team has opted for eight Gold games, 12 Silver, 12 Bronze and nine Value games.

"We're going to go out to our fans and ask them for input to pick those games," said Daniel DiPofi, the team's chief operating officer.

In other efforts to reach out to their fans, the Sabres will:

Why would a team sign a guy to a long term contract, when that guy had one of the most [in]famous hold outs in hocky????

Big wallet. No brains. Kind of like that owner in Washington. He trades away all his talent and then gets physical when he gets heckled by young children... :(

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.